this is one of my favorite sentences in the english language now btw

Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women — two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians — have rendered the notion of “capitalist democracy” into an oxymoron.
truth_for_the_wrong_reasons.txt
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

babyfinland posted:

i understand the difference between substantive democracy and formal democracy n00b

still doesnt address schmitt tho

what in particular are you trying to point out? or are you trying to draw parallels between leninist and straussian vanguardism? im glad ur reading nazis btw, someday u will become a great islamofascist

oh so mishima is cool but schmitt isn't? zizek reads schmitt too, before u go declaring takfir on me

schmitt essentially argues that the legal monism of modern states intrinsically carries monarchal sovereignty. this is a problem that leninists debate, given their interest in appropriating the state towards its dissolution.

Condoms? We dont need no stinkin condoms

What Libertarians Actually Believe
lmao

tpaine posted:
This happened to me yesterday.

I was in class and I get a text. No big deal, probably from my girlfriend, I'll check it after class. After class, here's the gist of what it said (obviously I deleted it, and her, from my phone after calling her).

"hey im really sorry im an asshole but i was hanging out with this guy before we started dating and i just realized i still have feelings for him im really really sorry"

A fucking text message.

I called her up and pretty much said, without letting her speak (she already said her piece as far as I was concerned), "I'm going to keep this brief because I don't want to say something I don't mean or might regret. You know this is final, right? You can't change your mind and come back to me. You can't call me. It's final. I know you feel bad and you're sorry, and I appreciate that, but it doesn't exactly offer any condolences. I'm fucking pissed. I'm going to go before I say something hurtful or that is just flat out wrong out of a moment of passion. Thanks for the good time, and I wish you the best. I really mean that. Take care." Then I hung up.

One of us had to handle the situation with class.

I guess not really soul crushing, just infuriating. And after I gave her two orgasms for Valentine's Day. Ungrateful bitch.

After that, I got shitfaced and booty called a woman I hung out with before I met her. Straight up G-move.

Edit: She did leave half a pizza and some beer in my fridge though, as well as a pair of gloves next to my bed. I'm calling it Bitch Tax.

Double edit: Should be noted we'd only been dating for a couple weeks, hence why I'm not totally torn up over it.

same

Bitch Tax.

Double edit:
then there's of course the vile liberal view of libertarianism...

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2012/02/ron-paul-and-the-paradoxes-of-freedom.html
i posted that once! the guy is apparently still pursuing the island libertopia thing

dm posted:
i posted that once! the guy is apparently still pursuing the island libertopia thing

a tempting concept but history shows that simply banishing undesirables to island colonies is a short-term solution