George Galloway wins Bradford West byelection
Respect candidate takes seat from Labour with 10,140 majority, claiming 'the most sensational victory in British political history'

George Galloway, the leading figure in Respect, has grabbed a remarkable victory in the Bradford West byelection, claiming that "By the grace of God, we have won the most sensational victory in British political history".

It appeared that the seat's Muslim immigrant community had decamped from Labour en masse to Galloway's fundamentalist call for an immediate British troop withdrawal from Afghanistan and a fightback against the job crisis.

On a turnout of 50.78%, Labour's shellshocked candidate Imran Hussein was crushed by a 36.59% swing from Labour to Respect that saw Galloway take the seat with a majority of 10,140.

Labour had held the seat in 2010 with a majority of 5,763. It marks an extraordinary personal and political comeback for the controversial politician who lost in the UK general election in 2010, and in the Scottish parliament in 2011, appearing to confirm that the remainder of his career would lie in broadcasting and celebrity programmes.

It is also a bitter blow to Ed Miliband, who failed to capitalise on the suddenly plummeting support for the coalition, and did not see the threat posed by Galloway until too late.

The result raises wider questions over whether the result is a simple one-off reflecting Galloway's personal charisma, or instead a sign of a wider detachment among immigrant communities from mainstream party politics.

Hailing his triumph before the official result was announced, Galloway said: "By the grace of God, we have won the most sensational victory in British political history … Labour has been hit by a tidal wave in a seat they have held for many decades and dominated for 100 years. I have won a big victory in every part of the constituency, including in areas many people said I should not even compete."

Labour were privately conceding defeat long before the official result which came at 2.30am on Friday morning.

Galloway claimed the path to his victory went back to "the path of treason by Tony Blair in 1994" that has taken Labour "so far away from its traditional supporters that people feel neglected and betrayed".

He added that Blair remained revered inside the modern Labour party, "swanning around making millions, instead of facing trial in the Hague for war crimes. The big political parties have had a very salutary lesson, and I hope they take note."

Galloway said: "Labour should have won a landslide victory, so voters are not looking for the austerity-lite policies of Ed Miliband and Ed Balls." He claimed Labour had tried almost tribal village politics to save the seat and that they had got their answer.

He said: "I am here for the long term," adding that the main parties would get a shock when Respect stands in the neglected towns of the north in the local elections in May.

The Tories, still needing to make inroads in northern immigrant areas, floundered badly as the party licked its wounds over its shambolic handling of the potential petrol strike. Jackie Whiteley, the Tory candidate came third, with 2,746 votes, 8.37%, a drop of 22.78% on the last electioon.

Labour claimed that it might have retained the seat if the Tory vote had not collapsed so completely. Labour argued that the budget, revelations about Cameron's wealthy donors and the petrol queues all led to the severe drop in Conservative support.

The Tories' coalition partners ,the Liberal Democrats, had been third in 2010 with 11.7 % of the vote, but this time came fourth with 1,505 votes, or 4.59% of the vote. In the last 48 hours, Ed Miliband's circle started to voice private concerns that a late push by Galloway among the large Asian community might drag the Labour vote down and propel the Conservative candidate to victory. But few Labour officials or outside experts were predicting that Galloway would poll more than 20%, let alone win the seat.

But in the final 48 hours, the Respect vote started to surge, especially among Asian youth, opening up a serious possibility that Galloway could be taken back to the Commons only two years after losing in 2010.

Galloway, a former Labour MP, has previously shown his formidable ability to topple large Labour leads in immigrant areas when he won the east London seat of Bow in 2005, overturning a 10,000 majority held by Oona King.

Labour has been campaigning hard in the byelection on the issue of jobs, and the poor showing by Labour suggests Ed Miliband is not able to engender any enthusiasm either for himself or for his calls for an economic stimulus package.

Labour's nerves in Bradford started to show early in the evening when reports emerged that postal ballots showed Labour and Galloway running neck and neck.

At the weekend Galloway held a highly successful 1,000-strong rally, winning the support of some leading mosques, even though the Bradford-born Labour candidate Imran Hussein is a Pakistani Muslim and deputy leader of the council.

Galloway distributed letters insisting that he did not drink and promising he would oppose a war in Iran just as he had fought western imperialist interventions in Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan.

The byelection had been caused by the resignation due to a long-term illness by Marsha Singh, the Labour victor in 2010.

At the 2010 general election Labour won the seat in with 18,401 votes, or 45.4%, the Conservatives took 12,638 votes, 31.2%, and the Liberal Democrats trailed in third with 4,732 or 11.7 %.

The byelection also underlines how local factors can make a mockery of national trends. The latest YouGov poll published by the Sun showed Labour holding a 10-point lead.

The result represents an extraordinary new chapter for Galloway personally. He was initially Labour MP for Glasgow Hillhead and later for Glasgow Kelvin before his expulsion from the party in October 2003 for urging British soldiers not to fight in Iraq.

He subsequently became a founding member of Respect, and he became the MP for Bethnal Green in 2005.

In the 2010 election, Galloway abandoned Bow to try to win Poplar, but found himself unable to recreate his 2005 success in the neighbouring east London constituency.

Full result (with vote share and change since 2010 in brackets)

George Galloway (Respect) 18,341 (55.89%, +52.83%)

Imran Hussain (Labour) 8,201 (24.99%, -20.36%)

Jackie Whiteley (Conservative) 2,746 (8.37%, -22.78%)

Jeanette Sunderland (Liberal Democrat) 1,505 (4.59%, -7.08%)

Sonja McNally (UKIP) 1,085 (3.31%, +1.31%)

Dawud Islam (Green) 481 (1.47%, -0.85%)

Neil Craig (Democratic Nationalists) 344 (1.05%)

Howling Laud Hope (Monster Raving Loony Party) 111 (0.34%)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/mar/30/george-galloway-bradford-west-byelection

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
canada

I hope you're joking.

I'm surprised that Galloway smashed Labor so badly even when they ran a (i assume by the name) muslim candidate.

Labour's shellshocked candidate Imran Hussein was crushed by a 36.59% swing from Labour to Respect t

Jesus

other nations politics might as well be the weather patterns on neptune for all their relevance
All I know about Galloway

Goethestein posted:
other nations politics might as well be the weather patterns on neptune for all their relevance

Don’t make excuses for your American insularity, it’s cringeworth tbqh.

[account deactivated]
today i was at a barnes and noble and saw a book entitled something like "how to rebut 100 liberal lies" or something similar and opened to a random page. the claim was "saddam hussein did not attack america and had nothing to do with 9/11" and to counterargument was "japan attacked at pearl harbor, nor germany" and i put the book down and felt sad that i live in a country where someone got paid for that

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Goethestein posted:

its not an excuse to point out that literally no conceivable aspect of the politcs of your country will affect me in the slightest

My American insularity is about three inches of hibernation fat

Goethestein posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Goethestein posted:

its not an excuse to point out that literally no conceivable aspect of the politcs of your country will affect me in the slightest

Hoorah, well I’m glad for your lack of curiosity and ignorance of everything happening outside the country, that’s exactly the kind of noble spirit America needs now more than ever.

maybe a dingo ate your labour
[account deactivated]
You didn't bold the insane line which has been edited now from the article on the Guardian website.

It appeared that the seat's Muslim immigrant community had decamped from Labour en masse to Galloway's fundamentalist call for an immediate British troop withdrawal from Afghanistan
Noone posted the cat video? oh ok

Here have this aswell

~*DEAL WITH IT*~
[account deactivated]

Goethestein posted:

George Galloway is the only elected official in a significantly powerful country who is actually willing to try to give some sort of representation for people in oppressed nations who are considered little more than insects by most of the world's population.

Of course he's completely irrelevant but the fact that he exists at all is a fucking miracle. Take what you can get, mon ami.

internationalist posted:

Goethestein posted:

George Galloway is the only elected official in a significantly powerful country who is actually willing to try to give some sort of representation for people in oppressed nations who are considered little more than insects by most of the world's population.

Of course he's completely irrelevant but the fact that he exists at all is a fucking miracle. Take what you can get, mon ami.

ever heard of someone called Barack Obama

GLT, he's the president of the USA, i'm sure internationalist has heard of him.
an otherwise failed politician opportunistically takign up controversial positions to garner votes this is a miracle.

babyfinland posted:
an otherwise failed politician opportunistically takign up controversial positions to garner votes this is a miracle.

sincerity of motivation is politically irrelevant. means and ends are all that matter. the color of a pachinko ball doesnt affect what slot it lands in. you can lap milk straight out of Rula Lenska's pussy all day so long as you stop using the Middle East as a litterbox

ps. Galloway owns forever
mayb if Hitchens had acted like a cat more often he would still be alive
lol yup galloway is going to lead the workers right into utopia by cynically representing their interests to make personal careerist gains

babyfinland posted:
lol yup galloway is going to lead the workers right into utopia by cynically representing their interests to make personal careerist gains

well if the workers are ever going to be led into utopia, that is literally the only way it could ever happen

maybe you havent fully realized the sheer level of cynical narcissism required to ever find yourself in a position of power in the first place

good thing i really dont care how super-psyched a person who i will never meet is about how much they benefit me--as long as they benefit me
someone like Galloway would be more likely to end a foreign occupation out of sheer self-obsessed face-saving than any American politician would be out of genuine altruism
does an atom split because its happy, or because its sad?

babyfinland posted:

youre right to call yourself "baby" finland, because you have the naïveté of a Baby. i suppose you think your exalted communist figures were not doing the same? do you believe the prophet muhammad was not acting cynically? check your premises

sup goldenlion tamarin
not much. why is that cat so scared
he's overcome with joy over a butter dog
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

really pulled back the curtain there

Goethestein posted:
today i was at a barnes and noble and saw a book entitled something like "how to rebut 100 liberal lies" or something similar and opened to a random page. the claim was "saddam hussein did not attack america and had nothing to do with 9/11" and to counterargument was "japan attacked at pearl harbor, nor germany" and i put the book down and felt sad that i live in a country where someone got paid for that

you're just jealous.