The K-E Diet: Brides-to-Be Using Feeding Tubes to Rapidly Shed Pounds

Brides-to-be looking to shed that final 10, 15 or 20 pounds in order to fit into their dream wedding gown have taken a controversial approach to crash dieting that involves inserting a feeding tube into their noses for up to 10 days for a quick fix to rapid weight loss.
The K-E diet, which boasts promises of shedding 20 pounds in 10 days, is an increasingly popular alternative to ordinary calorie-counting programs. The program has dieters inserting a feeding tube into their nose that runs to the stomach. They're fed a constant slow drip of protein and fat, mixed with water, which contains zero carbohydrates and totals 800 calories a day. Body fat is burned off through a process called ketosis, which leaves muscle intact, Dr. Oliver Di Pietro of Bay Harbor Islands, Fla., said.
"It is a hunger-free, effective way of dieting," Di Pietro said. "Within a few hours and your hunger and appetite go away completely, so patients are actually not hungry at all for the whole 10 days. That's what is so amazing about this diet."
Di Pietro says patients are under a doctor's supervision, although they're not hospitalized during the dieting process. Instead, they carry the food solution with them, in a bag, like a purse, keeping the tube in their nose for 10 days straight. Di Pietro says there are few side effects.
"The main side effects are bad breath; there is some constipation because there is no fiber in the food," he said.
Slipping into a wedding gown for a dream wedding is a moment of truth for most brides, but as many say that there is a real fear that it will not quite fit. That's how 41-year-old Jessica Schnaider of Surfside, Fla., says she felt with a June wedding approaching and 10 pounds she says she couldn't lose. She was desperate for a quick fix.
"I don't have all of the time on the planet just to focus an hour and a half a day to exercise so I came to the doctor, I saw the diet, and I said, 'You know what? Why not? Let me try it. So I decided to go ahead and give it a shot," she said.
Schnaider said she was never hungry throughout the 10 days she was on the K-E diet, but admits that it still wasn't easy.
"It was emotionally difficult, the 10 days of not eating," Schnaider said. "And sometimes I had to give excuses to people who were asking are you sick? And I was like, 'No, I'm not sick, I'm not dying, I'm fine.'
"I was tired. I didn't feel like exercising. The doctor told me that if you can compliment with walking for a half an hour on the beach, that would be great, but I didn't feel like doing that. I'm a very energetic person, but those days I was a little tired."
Although the K-E diet is new to the United States, it has been around for years in Europe. Dr. Di Pietro charges $1,500 for the 10-day plan, and says the before-and-after pictures sell themselves.
But critics warn that losing too much weight too fast can be dangerous, and it ultimately won't last. Di Pietro warns that people with kidney issues should avoid the diet.
Many doctors also say that with so much pressure on brides to be perfect, it's easy to understand why this kind of rapid weight loss might seem appealing, but might not be healthy.
"If you lose the weight too quickly your mind is not going to be able to catch up with a newer, skinnier you," psychoanalyst Bethany Marshall of Beverly Hills, Calif. said.
Schnaider says that in her case she actually only kept her tube in for eight of the 10 days, skipping the last two because she'd already lost the 10 pounds she wanted.
She has kept it off so far, saying she is looking forward to her big day this summer.

Has feminism gone too far? Like unions, did it serve a purpose once but now women are too powerful, becoming cyborg weight loss creatures for The Big Day?

[account deactivated]
my roommate has a medical condition that requires him to use one of those every other month or so and he says it is awful and indescribably uncomfortable (i.e., about as bad as it looks and sounds)

getfiscal posted:
Has feminism gone too far? Like unions, did it serve a purpose once but now women are too powerful, becoming cyborg weight loss creatures for The Big Day?

i think the problem with feminism is people thought they could solve the problem of gender oppression in the same manner as "solving" a drug addicts addiction by just giving him enough money to go to rehab

y do you think there is a problem with feminism

thirdplace posted:
y do you think there is a problem with feminism

because gender equality is now moving backwards, obv.

"lack of success"
i'm not really sure that's the case and am damn sure neither of us have the perspective to say it

and, to the extent that it is i see it as having a lot more to do with the ongoing apotheosis of capitalism than the merits of feminism
tom likes to call himself a faminist because he's pretty much always really hungry
those earrings are huge! what you gonna do when those things get caught in the subway door?!
also decades-long CIA ratfuckery, stooge infiltration, and the predominance of in-group academic wankery and gender feminism over equity feminism and actual effective political action. 99 anarcho-feminists and a lobbyist aint one
its pretty shameful that a handful of Nebraskan cattle farmers have a larger and more powerful lobbying presence than a group that constitutes over half the population and controls 85% of the purchasing power. Its almost as if Feminism got infiltrated fairly early and turned peoples attention to meaningless and contentious ephemera rather than the actual political structures that expedite the functional addressing of grievances

its almost as if some people would rather spend all day talking about their problems than actually solving them. Sometimes i think maybe if we got a man in there to take charge and show these feminists how its really done we could make some pretty big strides in equality for a change
edit: nvm found it
i guess what makes this worse is that this thing is also a scam and a human, with average bodyfat levels, cannot lose 2 pounds of actual bodyfat a day. the human body won't allow it, without the person using copious amounts of drugs.

but i suppose since every single weightloss fad is a scam it's no longer shocking or surprising that middle class white people are spending thousands of dollars on fraudulent products they see in tv ads that do effectively nothing more than drop water weight, and bloat, giving the impression of being efficacious

Edited by AmericanNazbro ()

why dont they just take a bunch of amphetamines like real people
if patriarchy stops fat people being fat then its not all bad i guess

thirdplace posted:
tom likes to call himself a faminist because he's pretty much always really hungry

thirdplace out of nowhere