transubstantiation~

did you guys know that priests could marry until the gregorian reforms took hold and that pretty much signaled the outburst of clerical misogyny? even though church policies towards sexual relations did a lot of good in western europe they also got a lot of stuff weird. accept islam today.
eastern rite catholic priests can marry
i dont know i'm suspicious of any religion that sees eye to eye with trots concerning age of consent laws

Groulxsmith posted:
eastern rite catholic priests can marry

yup

Why would you want to be an eastern rite catholic when you can be an Orthodox the way god intended?
the leadership of the roman catholic church and the orthodox church have been secretly reunified for the last 30 years and they just keep up the different brands for the same reason gm has chevy and buick
he died

shennong posted:
he died

RIP, to those who died.

ban op for idolatry imo

elemennop posted:

Why would you want to be an eastern rite catholic when you can be an Orthodox the way god intended?

gyrofry posted:
the leadership of the roman catholic church and the orthodox church have been secretly reunified for the last 30 years and they just keep up the different brands for the same reason gm has chevy and buick

lol

[account deactivated]
its funny b/c protestantism is objectively correct but protestants are also some of the worst people on the planet. Weird
same w/ communism, islam
and atheism
naw with atheism its only the second part

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
naw with atheism its only the second part

emptyquoting this so it can get more upvotes by proxy

people getting worked up about atheism is like getting worked up because the sky appears blue or we need air to breathe or something. it's so trivially correct that building an identity around it is weird. wow you're smarter than the guy that believes in magic spirits. congrats. maybe head down to the local school for the blind and brag about how you can totally see better than them too.
i think its extremely revealing about how technocratic and obscenely ideological our society is that people consider matters of spirituality and religious debate to be in the realm of "X is smarter than Y"

babyfinland posted:
i think its extremely revealing about how technocratic and obscenely ideological our society is that people consider matters of spirituality and religious debate to be in the realm of "X is smarter than Y"

yeah most of our beliefs are pretty arbitrary and nonsensical anyways, what's it matter if you also believe that god is in the magic book publishing business.

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:

yeah most of our beliefs are pretty arbitrary and nonsensical anyways, what's it matter if you also believe that god is in the magic book publishing business.

this is sort of what i mean though. obviously spirituality is not any more arbitrary or nonsensical than anything else, thats just how it appears through the (arbitrary and nonsensical) technocratic gaze of the modern

putting things in the category of spirituality puts you firmly in the place of atheism, since you're putting your knowledge of god into a different category than that of the world. in orthodoxy there is no spirituality because the world and god are not divisible. amen.

elemennop posted:
putting things in the category of spirituality puts you firmly in the place of atheism, since you're putting your knowledge of god into a different category than that of the world. in orthodoxy there is no spirituality because the world and god are not divisible. amen.

baby finland is an atheist muslim.

getfiscal posted:

elemennop posted:

baby finland is an atheist muslim.

that was my point. tom knows not the love god beyond the last bite of his 5th baconator.

elemennop posted:

maybe in christiantiy thats true but its not the case in islam. in any case im not drawing a hard distinction between spirituality and the world, i specifically said that 'spirituality is obviously no more arbitrary or nonsensical than anything else'. its a field of experience definable in certain ways, thats not to make fundamentalist claims about the empiricism of faith. fly away troll.

if you tweet something that includes the word "atheist", teams of weird spergs will read it and try to argue against your religious beliefs. that's sad. it's like hey sir, you just posted that a spirit overlord gave you ancient storybooks filled with commands, let's have a debate over whether that's reasonable. oh hi you believe that you have intricate knowledge over the comings and goings of a spirit realm, let's chat about chris hitchens for a while. no thanks.

getfiscal posted:
if you tweet something that includes the word "atheist", teams of weird spergs will read it and try to argue against your religious beliefs. that's sad. it's like hey sir, you just posted that a spirit overlord gave you ancient storybooks filled with commands, let's have a debate over whether that's reasonable. oh hi you believe that you have intricate knowledge over the comings and goings of a spirit realm, let's chat about chris hitchens for a while. no thanks.

http://hatefulatheist.tumblr.com/

getfiscal posted:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “A nation never went astray after being guided except by means of disputation.” (Tirmidhi) after which he recited the verse: “They only say this to you for argument’s sake, they are indeed a disputatious people” (43:58).

Some of the Salaf used to say that “When Allah desires good for His servant, He opens for him the door of action. When Allah desires evil for His servant, He locks the door to action and opens instead the door of disputation.” Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him) said that “Arguing and disputing about knowledge takes away the light of knowledge” and that: “Disputing about knowledge hardens the heart and breeds cursing.” It was the manner of the greatest Imams and scholars to often remain silent and respond to questions with: “I don’t know.”

lol this is in reference to an alcoholic smoker who died,as a result, of throat cancer, and spent his life alternately as a trotskyist, bashing mother teresa, or as a neoconservative, advocating genocidal war

babyfinland posted:
lol this is in reference to an alcoholic smoker who died,as a result, of throat cancer, and spent his life alternately as a trotskyist, bashing mother teresa, or as a neoconservative, advocating genocidal war

what a beautiful life. wasn't boring. honestly it's not like we're running out of iraqis, we'll make more. people like hitchens only come around so often.

what atheists do with their lives

me god
lsd
hahahaha god is a punk b*tch
life is but an episode of punk'd staring god as ashton kutcher

أستغفر الله‎

Impper posted:
hahahaha god is a punk b*tch

if i really am god i am emo/scene not punk

oh oops i forgot ur god for a minute. im sorry... uuuh how indie are u