planetes rules. great reflection on the dangers of space capitalism and the merits of terrorism. respect anime.
surely we can all embrace the hope that one day our children can earn their keep scuttling around outerspace gathering trash to preserve interterrestrial capital rather than suffering the mundane fate of doing so on earth.

slothrap posted:
surely we can all embrace the hope that one day our children can earn their keep scuttling around outerspace gathering trash to preserve interterrestrial capital rather than suffering the mundane fate of doing so on earth.

we haven't really even got up to speed with garbage mining yet

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
are planets and asteroids muslim?

deadken posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
has neone mentioned how gay space is yet?

space is totally gay. gay as balls. gay as consensual carnal activity between two people of the same gender

so,y es

guidoanselmi posted:
yeah it aint gunna happen any time soon. there are some interesting mitigation strategies that are being studied like massive air cannons that blow enough atmosphere to ~ 500 km to start to deorbit debris

wanna read those proposals

discipline posted:
"global gdp" who the hell came up with that term ahahaha

an economist

global wddp

technocracy posted:
wanna read those proposals

airgun:
http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/niac/gregory_space_debris_elimination.html

tethers:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0094576504002176

more news for those that Care. talked to a coworker who did some of the trajectory analysis for the KISS study. both them and GRC (who did the mission study stuff) are pretty upset about having the bulk of their ideas stolen by people who don't understand the concept and limitations of the study. the planetary resources team doesn't have a single electric propulsion person (the enabling technology for this) advising them.

the PI is 'well, the buzz is good for everyone at least"

guidoanselmi posted:
more news for those that Care. talked to a coworker who did some of the trajectory analysis for the KISS study. both them and GRC (who did the mission study stuff) are pretty upset about having the bulk of their ideas stolen by people who don't understand the concept and limitations of the study. the planetary resources team doesn't have a single electric propulsion person (the enabling technology for this) advising them.

“qq I dug myself into a giant hole of technobabble and am upset that other people can’t understand me”

This is like a dude majoring in Vegan Sanskrit and then throwing his toys out of the pram because it doesn’t get him laid at the bar

guidoanselmi posted:

“qq I dug myself into a giant hole of technobabble and am upset that other people can’t understand me”

This is like a dude majoring in Vegan Sanskrit and then throwing his toys out of the pram because it doesn’t get him laid at the bar

the ladies love a gluten-free Aramaic man

YOu cant have that many metaphors going at once. YOu have to choose betweenm

[account deactivated]
iwc you're contrarianistic "just asking questions" is exceeding the boundaries of the believable and it's flying off the rails my friend. you're going to have to scale it back down a couple notches, back down to the cycloneboy level of "just an inquisitive yet innocent little marxo-teen having a few questions"
I'm not being contrarian. I imagine guido lives in a rarefied atmosphere of space-nerds and scientists all day and I think it would do his psyche good to be able to hear articulate denunciations or criticisms of what he does.

I'm not being contrarian. I imagine guido lives in a rarefied atmosphere of space-nerds and scientists all day and I think it would do his psyche good to be able to hear articulate denunciations or criticisms of what he does.

lol have you ever worked at a research facility

i haven't, but i doubt they get much exposure to luddism

you'd be horrifically wrong. who'd have thought the human world is a far more complicated place than even iwc can imagine

i mean as guidoanselmi just mentioned, to a great extent you're surrounded by people who fundamentally haven't got a clue what you're doing while you're equally ignorant of what they do. i'm sure you could work this into a future troll somehow, open your eyes ffs
but the rest of the population doesn't have a clue what those "clueless" people do either. It just seems like a domestic spat amongst the technological 1% and the 99 don't really have time to care about that but we can deride it
[account deactivated]

by supporting deep space missions launch in 1970 with magnetic cassettes and fostering a culture where only heritage equipment and procedures fly, we're actually one of the biggest strongholds of luddism in the science and technology world tyvm

actually i was getting at plagiarism of otherwise conservative engineers by the technophiles you denounce more than anything else.

i am genuinely irl dazed at how this is being taken seriously. TINA cynicism all around and shit like this made immediate sense, "sure thats realistic n reasonable" (it's gross when zizek is right on something)

gbsfolk are genuinely saying "its so cool we live in blade runner's dystopia" unironically and "god i always wanted to be a miner, not the shitty earth kind, but the even worse ones from scifi nightmares"

i remember when i was 15 and i channeled my existential angst into space/transhumanist shit. thats before i discovered the power of posting on the rhizzone

GoldenLionTamarin posted:
i remember when i was 15 and i channeled my existential angst into space/transhumanist shit. thats before i discovered the power of posting on the rhizzone

to be fair to your 15 year old self, transhumanism would at least promise new godly sensorial delights in space - instead of miners inside (tasteless tactless soundless odorless) tin can vadersuits and on the cold tv screens of forgotten slaves

id still like to go to a planet. just to look at the mountains and skies and stuff. earths good enough though

Prospero posted:

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

to be fair to your 15 year old self, transhumanism would at least promise new godly sensorial delights in space - instead of miners inside (tasteless tactless soundless odorless) tin can vadersuits and on the cold tv screens of forgotten slaves

"new godly sensorial delights" like on, off, or standby

what asteroid belt will become home to the first outerspace traphouse
asteroids belts are actually super gay irl

Pink News posted:
First gay asteroid named

We can only guess, but it may be the universe’s first gay asteroid.

Yesterday, openly gay Star trek actor George Takei had the asteroid formerly known as 1994 GT9 named after him.

Mr Takei was nominated because of his work with leading gay rights group Human Rights Campaign, where he was spokesman for their Coming Out Project.

“I am now a heavenly body,” Mr Takei said.

“I found out about it yesterday… I was blown away.

“It came out of the clear blue sky, just like an asteroid.”

Mr Takei is best known for his role as Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek series, but he is currently undergoing a revival of popularity due to his appearance in the massively popular Heroes programme as Hiro Nakamura’s father.

Unsurprisingly, it is fairly common for astronomers to name asteroids after their favourite sci-fi writers and actors.

Mr Takei joins Michelle Nichols (who played Lt. Uhuru) and Gene Roddenberry, the show’s creator, in having an asteroid named after him.

Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein, two sci-fi luminaries, both also have their own main-belt asteroid.

The Takei asteroid is located between Mars and Jupiter.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2007/10/03/first-gay-asteroid-named/

Prospero posted:

i am genuinely irl dazed at how this is being taken seriously. TINA cynicism all around and shit like this made immediate sense, "sure thats realistic n reasonable" (it's gross when zizek is right on something)

gbsfolk are genuinely saying "its so cool we live in blade runner's dystopia" unironically and "god i always wanted to be a miner, not the shitty earth kind, but the even worse ones from scifi nightmares"

what did ziz say about this

That there is a weird split between whats possible and impossible in current neoliberal thought. You can go to space and live forever as a two-dicked terminator slavemaster - while something as simple as a 1% raise in taxes for social security or something along those lines is absolutely impossible. that the world can very well end but its unimaginable for capitalism to end, and sho on and sho on