[account deactivated]
the only tried-and-true practice of lifting a people out of poverty is by going back to hunting and gathering and alleviating the despair of suffering, disease, and death through a combination of the oral storytelling tradition and heavy drug use.

discipline posted:

the only tried-and-true practice of lifting a people out of poverty is through industrialization.

i'm no historian or economist so i dunno about "tried and true", but this rings as awfully extreme and incorrect to say 'only'

lets not talk about microfinance lol

guidoanselmi posted:

discipline posted:

the only tried-and-true practice of lifting a people out of poverty is through industrialization.

i'm no historian or economist so i dunno about "tried and true", but this rings as awfully extreme and incorrect to say 'only'

"poverty" is basically defined (by the Experts) as deindustrialized production so

"lifting a people out of poverty"
well arent we trying to break free of dem paradigms?

i mean centralized production and solvent distribution of complete calories would seem the most direct way to combat poverty. i guess that may necessarily imply some level of industrialization but other methods of mass mobilization might work out?

guidoanselmi posted:

well arent we trying to break free of dem paradigms?

i mean centralized production and solvent distribution of complete calories would seem the most direct way to combat poverty. i guess that may necessarily imply some level of industrialization but other methods of mass mobilization might work out?

ya i'm not defending the terms of the debate, it's basically a loaded question

(yes i understand even if UNFP met everyone's food needs poverty would still exist)

discipline posted:

a chicken is not a business. it is not a viable poverty reduction strategy.

but to come back to this because this is the heart of the matter imo. it's not that it's not a chicken is not a business but not an institution which carries a lot more baggage than a simple business model.

an issue with microfinance is that is tries to enforce rigid protestant culture on a culture that is unaccustomed to it one buck at a time. piecemeal conformity isn't going to really provide societal transformation.

[account deactivated]
I participate in micro-finance all the time through purchasing illegal drugs. My purchase is simply seed money for my drug dealers to venture out into more profitable ventures
microdebt seems to be faster/more thorough @ proletarianisation than other techniques; which is good from 'chaos reigns' perspective?

what sort of a growth (and crash) curve do u reckon we'll see for global microfinance this decade?
ahahh what is going on in that shit are they tripping bc the kid pukes
i think the mum hurries because she's scared of him and trips
I went on a date the other day and we were talking about traveling and stuff. She then for whatever reason starts talking about how great microfinance is and I'm like no it isn't for all these reasons blah blah blah. After my little spiel shes like hmmmm interesting, I also think it's great how China is investing so much in Africa. It's weird 'cause she spends so much time doing a bunch of humanitarian things and volunteer work but she just loves neoliberalism sooo much. A lot of women a date feel the same way too, I wonder if it's just an Alberta thing.

I later threw my pizza at her and ran away

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Puking in public is probably one of my favorite things to do.

hey posted:

I later threw my pizza at her and ran away

mamma mia!

the same warm glow u get from giving to charity, but with no icky commie connotations, and you get your money back. kiva dot org.
industrious poor

xipe posted:

microdebt seems to be faster/more thorough @ proletarianisation than other techniques; which is good from 'chaos reigns' perspective?

what sort of a growth (and crash) curve do u reckon we'll see for global microfinance this decade?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-28/suicides-among-borrowers-in-india-show-how-men-made-a-mess-of-microcredit.html

Sumir Chadha, managing director at Sequoia Capital India Advisors Pvt., says that without a profit motive it’s hard to find anyone who will lend to the poor.

“Capitalism doesn’t have to be a bad thing,” says Chadha, whose firm has a 14 percent stake in SKS. “If you can’t profit off the poor, it means that no companies will service the poor -- and then they will be worse off than earlier.”

Edited by dm ()

a billion little bootstraps...