Can we time out for a moment please?

I think you are strikingly naive if you somehow genuinely believe that 'those upvoters don't share any agenda' because in a sense they share the same agenda as r/srs: identity.

These people are not random and anonymous. They are real people who you go to work with and sit on the bus with and play football with and drink with and laugh with. They are not bad fucking apples. They are normal people - good people, even - who cling to harmful, hateful ideas because they are so frequently reinforced without challenge.

The nonsensical, reductive view that people who post bigoted and hateful material on Reddit are somehow incarnations of moral turpitude who stand apart from a decent, moral, law-abiding mass is precisely what is so harmful about the posts ArchangelleJophielle pointed to. I don't choose that term 'moral turpitude' without consideration. It's a phrase that was used, until recently, to describe homosexual acts in law; it refers to a dereliction of social and moral duty by the standards of a community. We can, as individuals, make an effort to alter what constitutes vulgarity in our community.

And Reddit as a community, as a community of self-identified progressives, as a community with a strong social conscience, as a community that rightly celebrates its many acts of altruism, simply doesn't do enough to stop, to think, and to challenge its own assumptions. To think about the harm their actions might bring. In the balance we may find that our casual transgressions outweigh the sum of our greatest accomplishments.
When people say that their sexist, racist jokes are just that - jokes - they have a point, of sorts. All things being equal these jokes don't harm anyone. But we inhabit a world where birth is a lottery, where suffering is distributed with great inequality, and where prejudice and bigotry are a real threats to people and their ability to function as full members of society. To say that the jokes and jeers of a few 'bad apples' does no harm on a greater scale is foolish. It reinforces bigoted opinions. It inculcates people with bigoted attitudes. We cannot ignore the fact that our world is inherited. We don't stand in isolation from a primitive and brutal past. We're not so civilized that we have conquered the tyranny of our own vanities: we stand not only on the shoulders of giants but on the corpses of slaves.
I'm not asking you to feel guilty for the actions of your ancestors; I'm asking you as a rational, emotional human being to acknowledge the web of subtle influences that play at your perception and shape your language, your actions.

The apprehension of these subtleties is part of what it means to be an adult; to abide by the dictates of morality, especially when they conflict with your desires, is what it means to be a decent human being. SRS and the bigots have the same agenda, and that agenda is 'identity'. Do we allow our identity to be defined for us? Or do we rebel against the institutions that we find unjust? Do we mock and ridicule those who are different? Or do we mock and ridicule the casual misanthropy which others allow to flourish unchecked?

It costs nothing to mend your words, it costs nothing to be kind.

So when teefs says 'hetero cis men are fucking disgusting' it's a righteous anger that comes from having been denied the smallest, the least liberty; the right not to have someone tell her who she is.
Okay.

Lessons posted:

Okay.

no youre okay

i cant believe that someone who uses the internet all the time had the audacity to post something like that
did not read

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

did not read

help somebody is telling me who i am. what about my liberty to believe unsubstantiated psychotic nonsense and then presumptively demand that everybody agree with me
[account deactivated]
any time i hear the words reddit or 4chan in real life i get really disappointed and my compulsion to steal and funnel giant cans of twisted tea increases
i, reddit

Myfanwy posted:

i cant believe that someone who uses the internet all the time had the audacity to post something like that

i do not use the internet all the time

www.rhizzone.net is a known hate site
[account deactivated]

Goethestein posted:

help somebody is telling me who i am. what about my liberty to believe unsubstantiated psychotic nonsense and then presumptively demand that everybody agree with me

actually the existence of transexuality is widely supported scientific fact??

i dont think so tim.
narwhal bacon XD

cleanhands posted:

These people are not random and anonymous. They are real people who you go to work with and sit on the bus with and play football with and drink with and laugh with.

i don't work or play football or drink. your move.

Its no surprise you dont laugh either.
reddit more like feddit.

because they are FBI/NSA plants, u see.
Look at A GAY LASER comments. A GAY LASER speaks! A GAY LASER of a reddit man. Well I'm a 90s kid, born under clinton. I'm so thin, or, freakishly fat with no middle ground.

but arent all lasers gay that doesnt make sense

shermanstick posted:

lasers are able to be simultaneously straight and gay, its called quantum rave theory

Superabound posted:

shermanstick posted:

lasers are able to be simultaneously straight and gay, its called quantum rave theory

ehhh 4/10

I didnt read it too
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Skylark posted:

I didnt read it too

whenver i go to the bar 'skylark' i think of skylark. alex...
whenever i go to the crow bar in austin i think of crow. alexei...
whenever i go to crow bar in austin im like shit i shoulda gone to the brixton
tehrwes a crow bar
Do they serve bavaria 0.0% there. And Tom's chili fries Eat till you explode & Tpaine (tooth paine) ((they hit your teeth with glasses of alcohol))
[account deactivated]
And Emanuel Bitchass Honkeytonk Shitpost Mmmm Mmmm Fuck you in the neighborhood.
Cat Shit Tuesday Free Cat Tees & Fuckin Wisky, Fucker