watching c-beams glitter in the dark near the tannhauser gate, imo
i dunno who this "god" person is so i just ignored that part tho
[account deactivated]
perhaps teh same could be said of all religion...
[account deactivated]
Sorry that the lack of a "God" fails to excite as much as mumbo-jumbo.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
JULIAN STOP RUINING MY THREAD

jools posted:

watching c-beams glitter in the dark near the tannhauser gate, imo

Cesarean-beams

what im saying is theres literally no way to found the meaning of anything on anything, so who cares
[account deactivated]
antifoundationalism is more like

roseweird posted:

agreed jools we must support Sex, ideally humans will keep having sex and growing new humans inside their bodies until the heat death of the universe, just as God intended

this but unironically

[account deactivated]
sorry about your objectively disordered state
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i like people and feel good about the idea of there being more of them later
Marxist forum finally arrives at Repugnant Conclusion
[account deactivated]
the best way for humanity to end would be for Full Communist aliens to show up, explain patiently and exactly why humanity has to go, and be so convincing that we unanimously agree. "welp. good points. can't really argue with any of them. basically an airtight case. so, uh, how do you wanna do this"
gibbous
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

gyrofry posted:

gibbous

no youre gibbous

no u

slumlord posted:

the best way for humanity to end would be for Full Communist aliens to show up, explain patiently and exactly why humanity has to go, and be so convincing that we unanimously agree. "welp. good points. can't really argue with any of them. basically an airtight case. so, uh, how do you wanna do this"

this has in a sense already happened though

also i think you abandon marxism in certain respects if you accept an act-centred morality, ie the repugnant conclusion is dumb lol
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

jools posted:

also i think you abandon marxism in certain respects if you accept an act-centred morality, ie the repugnant conclusion is dumb lol

what is "accepting an act-centred morality" and how does it concretely change someone's life or outlook with respect to marxism

like this sounds a least as mystical as anything i have actively affirmed as mysticism

what? i just mean deontological or consequentialist ethics as opposed to virtue ethics. virtue ethics could be described as self-centred in comparison.

daddyholes posted:

Marxist forum finally arrives at Repugnant Conclusion

we should make an archive called Repugnant Conclusion for threads that end with one of your posts

jools posted:

slumlord posted:

this has in a sense already happened though

i assume you are referring to the life of christ and his eventual Return.

roseweird u should read alasdair macintyre
[account deactivated]
actually maybe instead of self-centred i mean historical-community-centred, or something like that. the point is that ethics formed around basically individual decisions are nonsensical or at least weak as shit, eg in the case of emotivist ethics

roseweird posted:

jools posted:

roseweird posted:

jools posted:

what is "accepting an act-centred morality" and how does it concretely change someone's life or outlook with respect to marxism

like this sounds a least as mystical as anything i have actively affirmed as mysticism

what? i just mean deontological or consequentialist ethics as opposed to virtue ethics. virtue ethics could be described as self-centred in comparison.

ah yes well when you put it in common sense terms like that i see both the precise meaning and deep importance of what you are saying

well the main thing is that deontological and consequentialist ethics are transhistorical and universalist and can never be anything but, but virtue ethics are amenable to historicisation. aren't you a scholar of religion, shouldn't you know what these things mean

[account deactivated]