[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

roseweird posted:

lykourgos you are being willfully obtuse and also not funny, no one wants zimmerman executed or placed in a u.s. jail, you know that isn't the point

zimmerMAN is a male so execution is a step in the right direction imo

i like you as a poster makeshift_swahili but you don't really understand what i'm about

hey

hey

hey

guess what

no one cares

roseweird posted:

roseweird posted:

lykourgos you are being willfully obtuse and also not funny, no one wants zimmerman executed or placed in a u.s. jail, you know that isn't the point

i like you as a poster makeshift_swahili but you don't really understand what i'm about

thnx i like you too

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

i want him exercuted an placed in the small box. the prison. grumblefish is a lawyer and i trust him.

[account deactivated]
why does everyone keep pretending like Zimmerman said he didnt do it
[account deactivated]
i hear police are using live rounds in suppressing a protest here in LA.
where you hear this?

PSL people I'm still friends with are at most of the rallies tonight around LA/OC
i dont want gz executed but i do want him dead
i want you sexecuted. We find the defendant Guilty, of being Cute!!

roseweird posted:

who is pretending that

his defense, the prosecution, the jury, the media, various commenters, etc.

[account deactivated]
staaand by youuurr ground
this is a trayvesty

prikryl posted:

where you hear this?

organizing friend at leimert park.

"Reporting this from my friend inside, follow up in comments below...

Police shot a person with a real bullet & gun on Crenshaw & King.

Ambulance all coming over.

Prayers for this life & all others!!"

dunno what happened, here's the story: http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/07/16/38203/zimmerman-verdict-100s-again-protest-in-leimert-pa/

the rhizzone's getting hot and bothered
i'm pretty sure the media's obsession over this situation is a good indicator that i shouldn't care about it at all

guidoanselmi posted:

prikryl posted:

where you hear this?

organizing friend at leimert park.

"Reporting this from my friend inside, follow up in comments below...

Police shot a person with a real bullet & gun on Crenshaw & King.

Ambulance all coming over.

Prayers for this life & all others!!"

dunno what happened, here's the story: http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/07/16/38203/zimmerman-verdict-100s-again-protest-in-leimert-pa/

damn.. they were mostly at leimert park and it was all bad news last night so I'm not shocked

codywilson posted:

i'm pretty sure the media's obsession over this situation is a good indicator that i shouldn't care about it at all

mmmmm no

thanks to the SYG law Zimmerman is probably immune from civil lawsuits.

WSJ posted:

Attorneys for Mr. Martin's family said they are considering filing a civil lawsuit against Mr. Zimmerman, though they haven't made a decision. "We're still trying to make sense of the verdict in the criminal case," said Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for the family. "We'll be talking about our options going forward in the coming days."

Such a case would face high hurdles, legal observers say. Mr. Zimmerman can seek immunity from civil lawsuits under Florida's so-called Stand Your Ground law--something his attorney said he planned to do. "In effect, there will be no civil suits," said Tamara Lave, a University of Miami law professor. "If there is a civil suit filed, it will be dismissed, and future ones will be barred."

a civil law suit wouldn't go anywhere anyways

HenryKrinkle posted:

can they invoke SYG when it wasnt even claimed or used as a part of the previous trial?

Superabound posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

can they invoke SYG when it wasnt even claimed or used as a part of the previous trial?

actually, it was in the jury instructions.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/07/15/2301621/why-stand-your-ground-is-central-to-george-zimmermans-case-after-all/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/153354467/George-Zimmerman-Trial-Final-Jury-Instructions

If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in anyplace where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Nation Hoping ‘The Newsroom’ Ends Before Trayvon Martin Storyline

NEW YORK—Reflecting on the aftermath of the George Zimmerman trial, citizens across the nation prayed Tuesday that HBO’s The Newsroom somehow ends before the show is able to incorporate a storyline about the killing of Trayvon Martin. “Oh, Christ, you just know Aaron Sorkin is already dying to clamber up on his high horse and tell people exactly how the media dropped the ball on this story at the time and exactly how he would have gotten it right,” said Eugene, OR resident Sarah Vandenberg, echoing the thoughts of the country’s 310 million citizens while doing a panicked mental calculation to determine just how long the show will have to stay on the air for the Newsroom universe to catch up to the events of Martin’s death and the subsequent criminal trial of George Zimmerman. “Honestly, I just don’t know if I can make it through Will McAvoy’s self-righteous monologue criticizing other news outlets for selectively editing Zimmerman’s 911 call, or listen to an articulate new black staff member’s passionate, perfectly rehearsed speech to the rest of the News Night team at ACN about what it feels like to be racially profiled, or see how a heated office debate over race in America will somehow affect Jim and Maggie’s relationship. I just won’t be able to handle that, okay? So please, please let the show be canceled by then.” At press time, millions of Americans were already cringing at the thought of Emily Mortimer screaming in the control room to cut a conservative guest’s mic after he says something racist.

babyfinland posted:

roseweird posted:

roseweird posted:

hey

hey

hey

guess what

no one cares

i care alot.

HenryKrinkle posted:

actually, it was in the jury instructions.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/07/15/2301621/why-stand-your-ground-is-central-to-george-zimmermans-case-after-all/
http://www.scribd.com/doc/153354467/George-Zimmerman-Trial-Final-Jury-Instructions

If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in anyplace where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

oh, ffs then

Pretty Fucked Up that the state of criminal justice in America is literally more regressive and harmful to society than if murder were just outright decriminalized across the board

Superabound posted:

HenryKrinkle posted:

Yes, they can. But they chose not to invoke SYG because the burden of meeting SYG is on Zimmerman while the much higher burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he did not act in common law self defense is on the prosecution.

If he can't prove SYG by a preponderance of the evidence (51%) he won't be immune from a civil suit and will probably get owned for a lot of money (if he has any, i haven't been paying attention to this bullshit) on a common-law negligence/wrongful death claim. Martin family definitely gonna sue.

what happened in sanford florida?

LaserJew posted:

Yes, they can. But they chose not to invoke SYG because the burden of meeting SYG is on Zimmerman while the much higher burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that he did not act in common law self defense is on the prosecution.

i thought that the entire point of the existence of Stand Your Ground is that it provides an even greater cover, lower burden of evidence, and lesser likelihood of conviction than the boilerplate affirmative/self defense laws

i think the actual reason Zimmermans defense didnt use SYG is because the prosecution could have easily turned around and claimed it for Trayvon, since a large part of the defense's case was that Trayvon "didnt run away fast enough" and exceeded the maximum 4 minutes of time Florida law allows a black boy to be outside of his home before it is legal to murder him
SYG's effect is pretty small in comparison to the belief it's okay to kill black people anyway

Superabound posted:

since a large part of the defense's case was that Trayvon "didnt run away fast enough" and exceeded the maximum 4 minutes of time Florida law allows a black boy to be outside of his home before it is legal to murder him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundown_town

SariBari posted:

Superabound posted:

since a large part of the defense's case was that Trayvon "didnt run away fast enough" and exceeded the maximum 4 minutes of time Florida law allows a black boy to be outside of his home before it is legal to murder him

find your hometown http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/content.php?file=sundowntowns-whitemap.html

Superabound posted:

i think the actual reason Zimmermans defense didnt use SYG is because the prosecution could have easily turned around and claimed it for Trayvon, since a large part of the defense's case was that Trayvon "didnt run away fast enough" and exceeded the maximum 4 minutes of time Florida law allows a black boy to be outside of his home before it is legal to murder him

by "not running away fast enough" do you mean approaching zimmerman and then sitting on his chest and hitting him in the face

[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

SariBari posted:

Superabound posted:

find your hometown http://sundown.afro.illinois.edu/content.php?file=sundowntowns-whitemap.html

aww several of the places I'm responsible for are listed as "probably" still sundown towns. However, the place I live got a "probably not" rating.