im reading minsky now and its blowing my mind. im going to ask my prof what he thinks of the relationship between the trpf and minskys financial fragility hypothesis, i remember reading a j sakai piece on the recession where he says that the flight to finance wasn't so much a sign of capital's strength as its weakness, as in, production had failed to produce profits, even outsourcing wasn't doing the trick (kliman claims that fdi doesn't significantly contribute to profits of first world firms which is interesting, i want to investigate how exactly fdi is calculated to see what that means precisely). so it seems that you can combine minsky with marx in a sense. *tries that in the lab* *sets clothes on fire*

stegosaurus posted:

*tries that in the lab* *sets clothes on fire*

looks like this works in theory but not in practice

i liked how he cites reinhart-rogoff and marty feldstein. good stuff

getfiscal posted:

and he combines the above points to basically say there's no political solution to abolishing capitalism, in that people will have to seek new ways of relating first, and build worker's councils and such to facilitate those relationships afterwards.

ha. haha Ha Ha hAh AhAhAha Jajaja xa xa

xaxaxaxaxaxaxaxa
Good shit, I needed some laughs today.
Breaking tHE r H i z z o n E nEWs bUreAU exclusive: Tyler Cowen got pepper sprayed in the face while teaching a class today
toronto update: there are literal rumors on twitter that the police department has finally got its shit together and is planning to arrest the fat gay mayor of canada today

ilmdge posted:

Breaking tHE r H i z z o n E nEWs bUreAU exclusive: Tyler Cowen got pepper sprayed in the face while teaching a class today

http://gawker.com/tyler-cowen-got-pepper-sprayed-in-class-1552728302/all
lol

toy posted:

good post

i'd like to hear more of your perspective on the environmental movement there and the weird rich-people-only public transit

im gonna write a paper on this, give me a month or so

quebec election update: marois (PQ premier) just announced (on april 3rd) that half of any surplus will be used to cut personal and corporate taxes. the vote is on april 7th. so reporters were like umm where did this come from. so she said oh no one asked me about this before. like the biggest promise of the campaign a few days before the vote just because you're losing. legault (CAQ leader) was like damn that's desperate and sad, she's completely dead isn't she.

anyway she was winning when she started the campaign but she fucked it up so bad that now the liberals will probably win a majority
update: got the data to do my train econometrics project.

i asked for ridership data stretching back to 1999 and that caused a lot of problems at utah transit authority HQ it seems, they were only able to find it back to 05 which is fine, but, that's weird, because if some idiot student is going to do basic stats work on some simple data, and that data isn't available, then what kind of analysis are they doing in-house?

stegosaurus posted:

i asked for ridership data stretching back to 1999 and that caused a lot of problems at utah transit authority HQ it seems, they were only able to find it back to 05 which is fine, but, that's weird, because if some idiot student is going to do basic stats work on some simple data, and that data isn't available, then what kind of analysis are they doing in-house?

lol if you think any organization in any public or private sphere is going to spend the money to do an accurate analysis

well they do internal audits and stuff. they go to great lengths to collect data on ridership, and they have to report that and explain it over time, and shit, and it seems like, if you're going to have an audit team or people whose job it is to uhhh, understand how effective the system is on a continual basis, how are they not doing what I'm doing already?
Guess you'll never be the HEAD of a major coorporation- shit that makes no sense in this context, sorry
no it does. in R you call head() on a dataset to get the first 6 or so entries.
i always call head on the train

stegosaurus posted:

well they do internal audits and stuff. they go to great lengths to collect data on ridership, and they have to report that and explain it over time, and shit, and it seems like, if you're going to have an audit team or people whose job it is to uhhh, understand how effective the system is on a continual basis, how are they not doing what I'm doing already?

dont ask me, thats Pepe Silvia's department

steg what do you study specifically & would you recommend it

drwhat posted:

steg what do you study specifically & would you recommend it

what do you mean, i'm in my final semester of a bs in econ. i would not recommend getting within 3 credits of 2 separate degrees over the course of 8 years.

you could have a phd by now lol. keep your door open!

getfiscal posted:

quebec election update: marois (PQ premier) just announced (on april 3rd) that half of any surplus will be used to cut personal and corporate taxes. the vote is on april 7th. so reporters were like umm where did this come from. so she said oh no one asked me about this before. like the biggest promise of the campaign a few days before the vote just because you're losing. legault (CAQ leader) was like damn that's desperate and sad, she's completely dead isn't she.

anyway she was winning when she started the campaign but she fucked it up so bad that now the liberals will probably win a majority

i might be moving to montreal in june. is PQ the party quebecois and supposedly more liberal than CAQ or are they right-wing?

NoFreeWill posted:

you could have a phd by now lol. keep your door open!

yeah its pretty stupid. then again people who finish college quickly seem to be stupid or insane

NoFreeWill posted:

i might be moving to montreal in june. is PQ the party quebecois and supposedly more liberal than CAQ or are they right-wing?

PQ is center-left in rhetoric but in practice there isn't much difference between the three main parties anymore. CAQ is more right-wing but they more focus on corruption. the liberals (and the province) were run by a conservative until recently but the current leader is pretty centrist and it's uncertain whether he will do anything dumb. QS is a left party that i support but they will only win a handful of seats. QS officially wants to "go beyond capitalism" but otherwise they are just left-social-democratic.

I don't know, the PQ is pretty right wing to me and that is how it's spoken of around here a lot I think. La Charte des valeurs Québécoises really drove it home

Anyway basically as with most modern(?) politics it's just a question of which corruption you want, the one with the blue tie or the one with the red. We're back to red now. Go team go
so this is kinda funny. even though goldman sachs has a big office in salt lake they don't take packages there. to deliver to goldman sachs you take the packages to another city miles away and give it to their special security team which exhaustively screens the packages and then delivers them to the office via an armored car or something. most insane procedure ive ever heard of. police departments and national guard bases are less paranoid.

stegosaurus posted:

so this is kinda funny. even though goldman sachs has a big office in salt lake they don't take packages there. to deliver to goldman sachs you take the packages to another city miles away and give it to their special security team which exhaustively screens the packages and then delivers them to the office via an armored car or something. most insane procedure ive ever heard of. police departments and national guard bases are less paranoid.

it's amazing how much effort goes into security on our gay earth almost entirely just to stop people from ending the gravy train that is global capitalism for some people. that is all.

drwhat posted:

I don't know, the PQ is pretty right wing to me and that is how it's spoken of around here a lot I think. La Charte des valeurs Québécoises really drove it home

well i mean on main economic questions they still call themselves social-democrats, still say they promote cooperatives and unions, still call for public influence on provincial investment, still support universal child care and public health, etc. the values charter is stolen from the ADQ but even there a lot of people think of it as something that can be a feminist or left thing (like hijab politics in france) - pierre dubuc / l'aut'journal promoted banning hijabs for a long time before they did it.

the party leadership is thoroughly neoliberal though and is to the right-wing of the party, especially this election, you're right.

stegosaurus posted:

i hate how all technology does anymore is make it harder to kill rich people. the AK-47 is like 60 years old now

i don't actually know anything about this but i doubt that bankers private security is that strong.
[account deactivated]
plus theres DIY biotech now so hopefully bullshit security analysts scare stories about basement-lab-grown bioweapons will come true.
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

uh easy, just find some low ranking people and tell them to get you the stats. if the stats seem unusually high or low, ask them if they're sure and tell them what you think the stats should be. then wait until they bring you the correct stats. in-house stats done, mission complete.

NoFreeWill posted:

i don't actually know anything about this but i doubt that bankers private security is that strong.

youre right you dont know anything about this.

most banks have quite strong security measures because they keep lots of cash on the premises and people might try to steal it otherwise. hope this has helped you

stegosaurus posted:

.custom223565{}NoFreeWill posted:i don't actually know anything about this but i doubt that bankers private security is that strong.youre right you dont know anything about this.

i mean like their personal security. and im sure they have really good security but like they do go out to restaraunts and broadway shows and stuff? like they live semi-normal lives. its not like rich ppl brazil where if you leave your gated community you get shot and mugged/carjacked.

stegosaurus posted:

Lykourgos posted:

stegosaurus posted:

uh easy, just find some low ranking people and tell them to get you the stats. if the stats seem unusually high or low, ask them if they're sure and tell them what you think the stats should be. then wait until they bring you the correct stats. in-house stats done, mission complete.