And Judas was the first Trotskyist. Discuss.
Oh and Muhammad was the first Blairite.
Liberation theology is pretty badass. I remember somebody from here positing the hilarious scenario of catholic revolutionaries not turning the other cheek and having liberals go "its a religion of peace, these are just radicals etc".
the holy sspriti was the first commune and god is dead

Red_Canadian posted:

Liberation theology is pretty badass. I remember somebody from here positing the hilarious scenario of catholic revolutionaries not turning the other cheek and having liberals go "its a religion of peace, these are just radicals etc".

Our good ol' orthodox church is never radical

[account deactivated]
Fyi turning the other cheek does not mean allowing the strong and the rich to persecute the weak and the poor. quietism was condemned in 1687 in Coelestis pastor and even protestants generally agree it is not Christian.
Btw not related to anything but my views on catholicism were shaped by reading Voltaire & Rebelais books for french class when I was a kid

Oh and also that story from Boccaccio's Decamerone where a guy tries to convert his jewish merchant friend, and the jewish guy goes to the Vatican to convince himself that catholicism is really that great; when he comes back, he says something like "what I saw was incommensurable greed, backstabbing and the most influence over the holy cardinals is held by young boys and slutty girls" and little me was like, damn this book was written 700yrs ago they've been fucking little boys all this time :O
"Turning the other cheek" was an admonition of Passive Resistance and Oppositional Defiant Disorder, not of supplication. "I dare this bitchmade motherfucker to hit me" --Jesus Aitch Christ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDS00Pnhkqk

Woody Guthrie, Jesus Christ posted:

Jesus Christ was a man who traveled through the land
A hard-working man and brave
He said to the rich, "Give your money to the poor,"
But they laid Jesus Christ in His grave

Chorus:
Jesus was a man, a carpenter by hand
His followers true and brave
One dirty little coward called Judas Iscariot
Has laid Jesus Christ in His Grave

Chorus

He went to the preacher, He went to the sheriff
He told them all the same
"Sell all of your jewelry and give it to the poor,"
And they laid Jesus Christ in His grave.

Chorus

When Jesus come to town, all the working folks around
Believed what he did say
But the bankers and the preachers, they nailed Him on the cross,
And they laid Jesus Christ in his grave.

Chorus

And the people held their breath when they heard about his death
Everybody wondered why
It was the big landlord and the soldiers that they hired
To nail Jesus Christ in the sky

Chorus

This song was written in New York City
Of rich man, preacher, and slave
If Jesus was to preach what He preached in Galilee,
They would lay poor Jesus in His grave.

current Catholic sermons cite some sort of Judea Province distinction between hitting someone with your palm vs your fist, and also you couldn't hit someone with the off hand for some other cultural reason, so to turn the other cheek meant the guy had to hit you in a way that would mark you as a social equal, and so turning the other cheek was a leveling maneuver. that could be accurate or not but that's what John Q. Poloshirt and his healthy kids are hearing in church in America nowadays.
You gotta admit the current pope's pretty decent.
*coughs*
[account deactivated]
Getfiscal made a good post on liberation theology that was frontpaged a while ago.

I would argue that considering there are 2 billion christians worldwide it would make sense to attempt to help educate and organize them on this theological basis, even if one is not themselves religious. Most people have no more than a superficial interest or knowledge of politics/history/etc, so strategically using this core of their individual and community identity, motivations and beliefs to radicalize them could have a significant impact.

or they could come here from the various countries where they live in the third world and educate you on history and politics which are not academic topics to them. its good you want to help and that you dont think religion is ucky yucky richard dawkins. but a word of advice, if you go into this seeing Christianity as an easy gotcha mechanism to make people into your version of radical you will have as much success as the atheist left-liberals a decade ago when they attempted to convince american christians that environmentalism should be their biggest political issue by pointing at bible verses and explaining that ralph nader had figured out what was really up with the book of Genesis. its like george bush saying that he knows all about Islam and this definitely isnt a war on Islam, the response will be, yeah right.
this is also why you shouldnt be leaning on "this Pope is different". i get the propaganda line and Francis is a strong rallying point and many of the things he has said should be quoted approvingly by radicals. but as far as getting people involved in the Church or approving of radical religion who arent already there, "the Francis is hip now" is only going to work on liberal college students who will go to Mass until they read some CIA story on Buzzfeed two months later saying they shouldnt. this is my third Pope, the Pope has spoken ex cathedra twice in the history of the planet Earth, if you want people to be radical Christians you have to make sure they are Christians first because relying on them to like every last thing the Pope does and says as the esteemed Senator from the State of Worldwide Christian Clergy, that is not going to happen.
also if you use christianity to unite the masses for global popular uprising or whatever, then you have to live in a world full of fucking christians
lol i wish......
in any case eliminating other religions is the line of the fascist not the evangelist. but if we managed to convince everyone during the current era that would be cool i guess, although i can't imagine it happening according to the Bible, or any worldwide christian movement succeeding without allies of other creeds.
there was something called the 'joe hill house' in salt lake during the 60s that utah phillips and others lived in, and apparently there was a gigantic mural on the side of the building of jesus in joe hill's clothing simultaneously being nailed to the cross and executed by a firing squad. that's my shit.
ok so not quite as I remembered it
Blessed Be

daddyholes posted:

this is also why you shouldnt be leaning on "this Pope is different". i get the propaganda line and Francis is a strong rallying point and many of the things he has said should be quoted approvingly by radicals. but as far as getting people involved in the Church or approving of radical religion who arent already there, "the Francis is hip now" is only going to work on liberal college students who will go to Mass until they read some CIA story on Buzzfeed two months later saying they shouldnt. this is my third Pope, the Pope has spoken ex cathedra twice in the history of the planet Earth, if you want people to be radical Christians you have to make sure they are Christians first because relying on them to like every last thing the Pope does and says as the esteemed Senator from the State of Worldwide Christian Clergy, that is not going to happen.

stegosaurus posted:

there was something called the 'joe hill house' in salt lake during the 60s that utah phillips and others lived in, and apparently there was a gigantic mural on the side of the building of jesus in joe hill's clothing simultaneously being nailed to the cross and executed by a firing squad. that's my shit.

That's funny because Joe Hill hated Christianity and half of his songs are about how God isn't real and you should stop going to chruch and go to IWW meetings instead. If he posted here people would call him a fedora brony New Atheist ditchkins etc.

"that Boy aint right" --Joe Hill, on Jesus

Lessons posted:

That's funny because Joe Hill hated Christianity and half of his songs are about how God isn't real and you should stop going to chruch and go to IWW meetings instead. If he posted here people would call him a fedora brony New Atheist ditchkins etc.

atheism has waited for its champion to arrive on this forum of Marxists. will it be . . . . . . . you?

daddyholes posted:

Lessons posted:

atheism has waited for its champion to arrive on this forum of Marxists. will it be . . . . . . . you?

I got sick of arguing about it back in the days of the khamsek-babyfinland Islamist axis.

Gssh posted:

Getfiscal made a good post on liberation theology that was frontpaged a while ago.

i don't think that was me. i'm an atheist and marxist. i don't believe in preposterous ideas like sky wizardry and magic islam cubes.

"I'm glad you guys are okay." Shadow said for once, as he was sucked into a group hug. They all then turned to face what used to be the World Trade Center, which was now rubble. They eventually found out that another plane had crashed into the Pentagon, and they held a moment of silence for people there. Sonic found that one American flag had survived the events still intact. The blue hedgehog grabbed it and ran back.

Shadow and Sonic held the flag up, and helped Silver to hold it up too. They pledged to their nation, prayed for the fallen citizens and soldiers, and hoped that nothing like this would ever happen again.

getfiscal posted:

Gssh posted:
i don't think that was me. i'm an atheist and marxist. i don't believe in preposterous ideas like sky wizardry and magic islam cubes.

personally i think it owns that a good chunk of the world believes in a sacred giant black cube and i hope it always stays that way

not to mention the meteorite or whatever it is
was it me who said that every major religie should get its own monolithic platonic solid or some other fuckin wierdo
having a giant black cube that you circle seems like something ozzy osborne would have come up with as a stage prop when he was drunk out of his mind.... and it would have been awesome.

getfiscal posted:

My mistake,it was ilmdge that made the post. http://www.rhizzone.net/article/2013/01/28/god-exists/