Remember these were sold on the promise of being a low-profile, "green", subdued and localized version of the Olympics after the bombast of Beijing, hilarious.

I'm not sure if it's online but the new preface to "Ground Control" absolutely savages the Olympic preparations, especially in regards to development in the East End
Haha

http://tenant.net/alerts/mega-events/Olympics_Media_Release.pdf

The Centre for Housing Rights and Evictions estimates that two million people have been evicted since 1988 by the Olympics- overwhelmingly the poor, working class and ethnic minorities

whats that sport where the people throw that big metal rod with a bulb on the end, they like spin and throw it.
given that the arms industry is literally the last remnant of large-scale western industry the olympics will probably be well worth the expense from sheer advertising potential alone
heads of state from around the world will come and admire the british panopticon, and in turn be admired by it

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/03/olympics-2012-kabul-baghdad-london-avoid

badass

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad this thing didn't come to Chicago
i like watching baseball on tv
it wasn't too bad here in Sydney, but that was in a Pre 9-11 World.

There's nothing worse than "security lockdowns" of the city you love. When we had APEC and bush and hu-jintao were in town there were snipers all over the roofs and steel mesh fencing and blackhawks everywhere. It cost $300m and got shown up to fuck by these guys. I've posted it before but watch it if you haven't, I hope someone in London does something similar

I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad this thing didn't come to Chicago

Don't you have NATO though? that should be just as fun

what happened to the chasers? did they ever get back on tv or what?

Prospero posted:

what happened to the chasers? did they ever get back on tv or what?

They burnt out a bit. They got super popular and pressured to turn out too much material and the standard slipped and they retired the franchise for the moment.

When they were good though, they were really good.

i think it was in freakonomics or some other similar book where they were talking about how for the olympics in atlanta the city was purposely not logging certain events the police were responding to (like under-reporting homicides, assaults). so basically what im getting at, is i really like when the olympics make life difficult for all the plebs

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

When they were good though, they were really good.

yeah i remember seeing them on youtube some years ago and they could be quite great. im still baffled by this one

oh bugger theyve really gotten our goat with that one
my 1000th upvote. i did it. i have broken these mortal shackles, and now i am as the gods
The last few summers in London have allready raised the bar for the carnival of daytime-drunk violence and stupidity. The anger many people feel at the Olympics for its over spending is going to amplify this, but what's going to tip it over the edge is the total distrust of the police, and how it's going to be nightmare trying to do anything for the duration. The Mayor is already advising people that they should allow an extra hour's wait to get on the central line, the VIP highway system is going to wreck a load of already barely usable roads, it's going to be fucking hillarious.
I live in an "Olympic Borough" at the moment but for a few years I had a live/work right on the edge of the development. That place is full of middle class dickheads drinking expressos out of boat shoes now and sadly these appalling people are some of the few that are going to do well out of the whole venture as tourist flock to the area and everyone starts selling quince jelly and Brooks saddles with swearwords embroydered on them.
I'm doing an outdoor education project in countryside for part of August and I'm going to try and avoid the rest of the horrorshow by only leaving the house to go to Epping Forest.

My partner's a park ranger in Tower Hamlets. She is completely fucked.
[account deactivated]
looking forward to some of the events this year, just think the general atmosphere of london will be a massive drag on the athletes willpower. hopefully the foreigners have been training in some derelict towns or maybe some ancient ruins to acclimatise themselves
Olympics = Bourgeois
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
The people get the government they deserve.

Actually, if that were true London would have got the Ukip candidate.

low voter turnout should be celebrated imo, it indicates a refusal to co-operate with the scam that is representative democracy
the most laudable thing in this corrupt world is to do nothing at all
That's why I have depression.
bartlebyian ethics should be our guide imo
[account deactivated]
representative democracy is pretty cool.

tpaine posted:

B0rtle0rt teh Scriven0rt

this is also my sons name too

its not a real olympics unless there are nude buff greeks somewhere

aerdil posted:

bartlebyian ethics should be our guide imo

i read this as babylonian ethics and thought you were referring to the mass self-exodus of city folk that occurred in ancient Mesopotamia whenever debt and slavery become too widespread but then i was disappointed

are there any nomadic groups in the british isles that londoners could assimilate into? and more importantly, any nomadic groups that would be willing to accept londoners?

Scrree posted:

are there any nomadic groups in the british isles that londoners could assimilate into? and more importantly, any nomadic groups that would be willing to accept londoners?

jews

FrancoNero posted:

The last few summers in London have allready raised the bar for the carnival of daytime-drunk violence and stupidity. The anger many people feel at the Olympics for its over spending is going to amplify this, but what's going to tip it over the edge is the total distrust of the police, and how it's going to be nightmare trying to do anything for the duration. The Mayor is already advising people that they should allow an extra hour's wait to get on the central line, the VIP highway system is going to wreck a load of already barely usable roads, it's going to be fucking hillarious.
I live in an "Olympic Borough" at the moment but for a few years I had a live/work right on the edge of the development. That place is full of middle class dickheads drinking expressos out of boat shoes now and sadly these appalling people are some of the few that are going to do well out of the whole venture as tourist flock to the area and everyone starts selling quince jelly and Brooks saddles with swearwords embroydered on them.
I'm doing an outdoor education project in countryside for part of August and I'm going to try and avoid the rest of the horrorshow by only leaving the house to go to Epping Forest.

My partner's a park ranger in Tower Hamlets. She is completely fucked.

Haha. Yo, like your style, please keep us updated with observations in the leadup to the games

Scrree posted:

pikeys

Scrree posted:

Poles

discipline posted:

38% turnout lmdfao

turdout

i was able to vote in the election in 2008 and couldnt be bothered because it wasnt my town and i was leaving soon, i wonder how many londoners feel that way + whether its a significant factor vs ppl not actually liking either ken or boris
in ontario's last municipal election i voted for someone my father said was a good guy and i never looked into anything else about him.