teh fwiggin popey palpy....
Did a ctrl-f 'Lenin' and 'amerikkka' and didn't see anything Smdh. Neeeeeext

Peelzebub posted:

ok sorry last one. what is with the protestant obsession with paul? no idea how he is viewed by the catholic church. i understand that he is the basis for protestantism's doctrine of "salvation by faith alone," but i just feel that his modern veneration is something more than that (and also more than writing most of the new testament); it's in the back of my head, but i just cant pull it out... tell me if you know what i mean...

question #2: also, i often hear the phrase "god spoke to me" or whatnot by protestants, i assume they mean that in the sense of, like, spiritual enlightenment and not literal communication, but it just sounds too weird. what do catholics think about this?

The Protestant fascination with Paul probably has to do with the fact that he can serve as an archetype for a "Born Again." He spent his life before his conversion as Saul, hating Christianity and persecuting its followers, he undergoes a spiritual revelation and then takes on a new name and begins evangelizing. Obviously this sort of trope is really common among Born Again Christians.

Some Protestants try to say Paul was a Protestant.
http://www.catholicbible101.com/thecatholicpaul.htm

I encourage you all to visit that link, lots of good content there.
Actually the reason I found that page is because I was googling around thinking about Galatians, which is where Paul writes about how the gentiles he's converting don't need to follow Mosaic Law, while the twelve apostles all did, which resulted in this throwdown: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Antioch

chickeon posted:

The disapproving look on the pontiff’s face made abundantly clear that he was not impressed

le pope face

are people seriously still arguing that the Holodomor was the result of actual Stalinist policy? lmao

the Dust Bowl Famine, which killed at least 7 million people, in America, happened the exact same year. The year of a global drought. Stalin's control of the raw forces of nature via a combination of doomsday machines and sheer charisma are greatly exaggerated. The Command & Conquer series is not a documentary.
theres also the fact that the frickin Kulaks were burning their own fields out of spite. But yeah, totally, Stalin just up and intentionally engineered massive crop shortages in the breadbasket country his own nation dearly relied upon for sustenance because he was somehow simultaneously an Evil Genius and Incompetent Failtard
my favorite part about the holodomor (it's actually Golodomor, from golod meaning hunger, even the name is a propaganda fabrication to equivocate the Soviets with the Nazis) hoax is that even charlatans like Robert Conquest eventually had to admit the famine wasn't intentional or targeting Ukrainians. Hell, even the expat commission stuffed with exiled Ukrainian fascists living in the heart of empire collecting NATO checks were forced to admit as much: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Commission_of_Inquiry_Into_the_1932–33_Famine_in_Ukraine
internet poster successfully rehabilitates legacy of Josef Stalin

Superabound posted:

are people seriously still arguing that the Holodomor was the result of actual Stalinist policy? lmao

the Dust Bowl Famine, which killed at most several thousand people, in America, happened the exact same year. The year of a global drought. Stalin's control of the raw forces of nature via a combination of doomsday machines and sheer charisma are greatly exaggerated. The Command & Conquer series is not a documentary.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

internet poster successfully rehabilitates legacy of Josef Stalin

internet poster successfully posts pedophile memes about his daughter

i dont think thats true.
Hmm, thought it was. I'll check my sources.
official roman church posish on paul: extremely badass motherfucker

NoFreeWill posted:

Superabound posted:

the Dust Bowl Famine, which killed at most several thousand people, in America, happened the exact same year. The year of a global drought. Stalin's control of the raw forces of nature via a combination of doomsday machines and sheer charisma are greatly exaggerated. The Command & Conquer series is not a documentary.

http://rt.com/news/prime-time/where-did-americas-missing-millions-go-holodomor-lessons/

HenryKrinkle posted:

chickeon posted:

yeah, that's bad ass i can't deny that

EDIT: okay so maybe the Pope didn't like the gift but at least he praised Evo's policies.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html

Vatican City, Jul 13, 2015 / 09:18 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Responding to waves of controversy after receiving a “communist crucifix” – a carving of Christ crucified on a hammer and sickle – from Bolivian president Evo Morales, Pope Francis said he took no offense, but understands the work as “protest art.”

“I would qualify it as protest art, which in some cases can be offensive,” the Pope said during an inflight news conference on his July 12 overnight flight from Paraguay to Rome.

But given the context of this piece of art, he added that he understands the idea behind the crucifix, and “for me it wasn’t an offense.”

He recalled an exhibition in Buenos Aires several years ago in which an Argentinian artist he described as “a good sculptor, creative,” and who is now deceased, made a similar piece depicting a crucified Christ on an airplane.

“It was protest art, and I recall one, it was a crucified Christ on a bomber (airplane) that was falling down, no? It’s Christianity, but a criticism that let's say Christianity allied with imperialism which is the bomber.”

The crucifix, which the Pope revealed was traveling with him back to Rome, was given to him by leftist Bolivian Evo Morales on Thursday, sparking controversy.

The cross with a hammer and sickle is a reproduction of another carved during the 1970s by Fr. Luis Espinal Camps, a Spanish Jesuit who was a missionary in Bolivia who was killed in 1980 during the Bolivian dictatorship.

The Pope's reaction after receiving the crucifix has been a source of debate since the audio of the video is marred due to the clicking of journalists' cameras.

Francis said that he had been unaware that Fr. Espinal, in addition to his work as a journalist, was also a sculptor and a poet.

He noted that during his life, Fr. Espinal had sympathies with the Marxist interpretation of Liberation Theology, which at that time was widely popular in South America.

It was criticized both within the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits), to which both Pope Francis and Fr. Espinal belong, in 1980, and later in by the Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith in their first declaration on Liberation Theology, in 1984.

Taking a “hermeneutic” approach to the crucifix – one that involves an interpretive act of understanding with an emphasis on dialogue – the Pope made an analysis of the times, saying that Fr. Espinal “was an enthusiast of this analysis of the Marxist reality, but also of theology using Marxism.”

It was from this perspective that Espinal created the work, he said, noting that the priest’s poetry was also “of this kind of protest.”

“But, it was his life, it was his thought. He was a special man, with so much human geniality, who fought in good faith, no?”

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-calls-communist-crucifix-protest-art-but-says-he-wasnt-offended-43552/

cool
*explains what happened*JAW BREAKING TROLL FACE*
*gets handed a little marxist sculpture* "whoa haha kinda crazy, i saw something like this once somewhere SPINNING KALEIDOSCOPE HALLWAY 10000 TROLL FACES
*turns slowly toward camera* Marxists that I know. *RASTER TROLL FACE POWERS OUT OF EARTH'S CORE AND SHATTERS SUN
what a pope
i think it says maybe less anything about him and a lot more that he can create instant SORE GLOBAL TRANSGRESSION by holding a hammer and sickle and saying "Well i guess its back to wikipedia for me"
you alright mang?
The pope should start putting out mixtapes under the name Ill Papa
allowed things to do with that sculpture: eat it instantly and flex biceps; write series of 6 diminishing returns prop sketches for John Oliver; flog betied brooklyn penthouse nerd out on stage to short out the microphone with urine sweat

not allowed: talk about sculpture

chickeon posted:

you alright mang?

one thing about pope francis, he's usually like "let's not talk about me", which some people view as a constant rhetorical gambit but also makes him seem enthusiastic about whatever he is discussing. in this case about communism

*feels forehead* am i all right?? i failed to praise the pope *feels torso* am i dead? am i real?
im laughing
as a former protestant, the beauty of Catholicism/orthodoxy is that you can drink to the point of floating your liver. daddyholes, go to a bar and make sure you have a ride home.
what is even going on in this thread
are you mad because i posted about troll face? what is this weird mincing pass agg shit
this beef is frightening and confusing
this is like the second time wasted has told me about some date he wants me to go on for him and it's like the only time he ever posts at me, just downvote if you think my shit isn't funny because that shit is weird
Btw id go on a date. Nachos? Nachos cheese? Lmfao my cheese. Anyway, what time are you picking me up?
Following the principle We must separate to unite, I have created a separate Pope themed thread so we can praise/gently mock/gossip about/bury under a torrent of obscenities news concerning the present Bishop of Rome on some place different than the SSM marriage thread.

RedMaistre posted:

the SSM marriage thread

Stop. Stop. I'm already dead.