sorry for not posting more Star Trek sooner

Marina Sirtis gets catty about DS9 #classwarfare #cakechat
chiming in to say the existentialist marxists were full of shit and blatantly anti-materialist

blinkandwheeze posted:

rakauq posted:
is it wrong of me to hand-wave away any and all of the french marxist intellectuals on the basis that i don't care much about people whose marxism doesn't arise from personal struggle

the french intellectual left that we're talking about formulated around resistance fighters against the nazi occupation, people who risked their lives fighting fascism. following that there were dedicated campaigns of radical activism in support of algerian independence. the large maoist movement of the late 60s belonged to a marxist political tradition that has mostly been lost, for various reasons, one that was completely dedicated to organizing in factories and in support of industrial action. there are some very justified ways you might feel skeptical about this particular generation of intellectuals but conflating them being booklords with a lack of political struggle is basically totally wrong. r.i.p. jean cavailles r.i.p. pierre overney. hope this helps

cool, I didn't know that

Superabound posted:

plz uh, dont do this when ppl are talking about some real shit

Superabound posted:

plz uh, dont do this when ppl are talking about some real shit

plus star trek is shit
that too
yall aer wrong
i wont tell you to stop posting, but maybe, uh, quarter it
this place is toxic
if you say so
have you considered just not posting dumb bullshit tho
look im feeling a lot of hostility from this space right now, and i dont know if this directed animosity is because im a person of gender, or just because i dont fit into your juvenile "boys club" clique, but im letting you know that i consider it a personal assault on every single thing i believe in
cool
[account deactivated]

Impper posted:
cool

Slow your roll

jools posted:
Slow your roll

*begins to eat dinner rolls only one at a time*

lol
[account deactivated]

blinkandwheeze posted:

rakauq posted:
is it wrong of me to hand-wave away any and all of the french marxist intellectuals on the basis that i don't care much about people whose marxism doesn't arise from personal struggle

the french intellectual left that we're talking about formulated around resistance fighters against the nazi occupation, people who risked their lives fighting fascism. following that there were dedicated campaigns of radical activism in support of algerian independence. the large maoist movement of the late 60s belonged to a marxist political tradition that has mostly been lost, for various reasons, one that was completely dedicated to organizing in factories and in support of industrial action. there are some very justified ways you might feel skeptical about this particular generation of intellectuals but conflating them being booklords with a lack of political struggle is basically totally wrong. r.i.p. jean cavailles r.i.p. pierre overney. hope this helps

i think that's why foucault was so interested in reading d&g as part of a trajectory toward 'living an anti-fascist life' or w/e. that intro to anti-oedipus has sort of stuck with me in constituting what the heck we are doing here

maybe if i apply some more modernity to this modernity i'll get something different from modernity

AmericanNazbro posted:
i mean, this argument always comes up, countless times in LF and it always begs the question: What is the purpose and goals of first world marxists who seek to enact global communism?

Power, what else would it be?

seems like there'd be much easier ways to get power in this society than by pretending to be communists, damn we're stupid
can someone give a crash course in the french marxists and what their major contributions are
can someone give a crash course in the internet marxists and what their major contributions are

LandBeluga posted:
can someone give a crash course in the internet marxists and what their major contributions are

http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/reputation/aerdil/

aerdil posted:
seems like there'd be much easier ways to get power in this society than by pretending to be communists, damn we're stupid

accelerationism, my friend

did you end up joining the MLP at your campus, aerdil?
yes, brony power
accelerationism owns

aerdil posted:

Not really. Communists don’t have a skillset that is valued in our current society (charisma, initiative, sociability etc.) so they seek to overthrow the current paradigm and replace it with a system whereby certain other types of people (namely themselves) can amass power.

also feminists
also blacks
also furries
also liberals
All of those can find prominent places within our current superstructure though:

Blacks like Obama, Feminists like Maureen Dowd, furries like all those fuckers on the internet and in memes and such, and liberals EVERYWHERE.

And yet communists? where is their visibility? liberalism is a broad church and while the powers that be may let you yiff all over the altar, they're not going to put up a hammer and sickle stained glass window
lol

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
hammer and sickle stained glass window

if only...

what skillsets do liberals furries and blacks have