yeah, it would be nice to have some nonintrusive way of verifying that an account is a real non-malicious person, but those are kind of scarce. at first I was thinking that verifying people over a connection to social media would be fine, but then I realized I wouldn't have been willing/able to verify myself that way...
[account deactivated]
There does not have to be any real identity involved... the point is longevity. They could use their pokecommunity.com account. I know it's still some unfair exposure but maybe thats the price of being a the new member of the powerful community of geniusses

swampman posted:

is twitter cia stuff? getfiscal has twitter and they're like.. communist mastermind

no communication medium gets that big without getting the ultimatum of "either you play nice, liaise with us and accommodate our requests, or we'll infiltrate you and do it ourselves"

i say require it and make exceptions on a case by case basis. its not like we need to create a set of bylaws to follow to a t
Give my friend Keven 2 an account.
I think the only requirement for prospective posters shoukd be thatt they be friendly because this is the rhizzone, a place for friends

swampman posted:

is twitter cia stuff? getfiscal has twitter and they're like.. communist mastermind

I can't even master my own mind, let alone communism.

swampman posted:

if you're honestly worried about anything like this, we already know from the major leaks over the past few years that the tracking systems that exist at all major internet traffic exchanges in the US already see everything anyway.

also it's trivial to exploit the extremely out of date security built into this site, and it doesn't use HTTPS anyway, so everything sent between your computer and rhizzone.net is readable and analyzable by state intelligence agencies, including your email when you signed up, and your password every time you log on.

that email address, your password, and your IP address can all be correlated with basically zero effort to discover other accounts and communications you make on other websites. everyone has a correlated identity built up of all your accounts and communications that are known, and if your account here uses the same email and/or passwords and/or computers as another account, then this account would be linked into their concept of your identity. there is basically no way around this though. all of this is essentially in nsa(/fbi/cia) google forever, and all you can do is hope no one bothers looking, or if they do, that they don't care enough.

i was writing software that did a version of this kind of snowball-like identity gathering, but with publicly available data, about companies, in 2005, so i'm guessing they're probably a little ahead of me on it.

imo it would be pointless and only serve to give people a false sense of anonymity or security if we actually tried to make this place truly secure. it's very difficult. and too late anyway.

(though maybe I'll look into encrypted passwords so at least random kids don't steal them.)

is it possible to implement a post per day limit until someone gets a certain amount of positive reputation? feel like thatd help out with any mustang problems

Urbandale posted:

i say require it and make exceptions on a case by case basis. its not like we need to create a set of bylaws to follow to a t

pretty much this. in fact imo the rule should be fb/twitter/blog link required unless referred by a current poster, but obv case by case exceptions can still be made

I met a dude at a bar whos a visitting scholar at nyu or someshit who does translations of obscure arabic marxists and id invite him but he was a dick / doesnt like stalin

shriekingviolet posted:

I am 100% dedicated to listening carefully to the needs of this community and then just doing whatever I originally wanted to do anyways, so your feedback is valued!

Invite Brown Moses to debate Baby Huey P. Newton in Brooklyn on the topic of People's War in India: Specific Material Ways We Can Support Their Struggles.

I too would like to see Brown Moses ritually dismembered in front of a live audience.
Find story and make him an acct. We need a volcel poster ever since cycloneboy ragequit lf

drwhat posted:

swampman posted:

if you're honestly worried about anything like this, we already know from the major leaks over the past few years that the tracking systems that exist at all major internet traffic exchanges in the US already see everything anyway.

also it's trivial to exploit the extremely out of date security built into this site, and it doesn't use HTTPS anyway, so everything sent between your computer and rhizzone.net is readable and analyzable by state intelligence agencies, including your email when you signed up, and your password every time you log on.

that email address, your password, and your IP address can all be correlated with basically zero effort to discover other accounts and communications you make on other websites. everyone has a correlated identity built up of all your accounts and communications that are known, and if your account here uses the same email and/or passwords and/or computers as another account, then this account would be linked into their concept of your identity. there is basically no way around this though. all of this is essentially in nsa(/fbi/cia) google forever, and all you can do is hope no one bothers looking, or if they do, that they don't care enough.

i was writing software that did a version of this kind of snowball-like identity gathering, but with publicly available data, about companies, in 2005, so i'm guessing they're probably a little ahead of me on it.

imo it would be pointless and only serve to give people a false sense of anonymity or security if we actually tried to make this place truly secure. it's very difficult. and too late anyway.

(though maybe I'll look into encrypted passwords so at least random kids don't steal them.)

it's not state governments that are the concern, it's the kind of molly crabapple shit that social media invites

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

I met a dude at a bar whos a visitting scholar at nyu or someshit who does translations of obscure arabic marxists and id invite him but he was a dick / doesnt like stalin

Most people here are probably dicks, just be upfront that the other posters will treat them like complete shit even while they're uploading hundreds of massive scans

aerdil posted:

is it possible to implement a post per day limit until someone gets a certain amount of positive reputation? feel like thatd help out with any mustang problems

iirc stormfront puts new posters on a probationary period until they make 3 good posts. however, i think its unfair to require something of new posters that we couldn't accomplish ourselves.

That's not a hard standard to implement in connection to post rep... It's not hard for a magic post to get like 8 votes, but also 8 voters isnt like, supermajority of the forum..
Yet
plus new posters make hundreds of posts when they first join and thats sorta obnoxious, especially since/even if its the same thing i did

getfiscal posted:

i kinda want to spread this around but id feel bad setting up the dsa for an spook raid

Completely open registration so anyone can instantly make an account, but with new accounts having a firm limit of 2-3 posts per day until a poster gets 50 rep, with mods standing buy to harrangue any stangs that slip past this security system. Also add security protection to keep someone from botting new accounts...
It's very simple. Require a registration fee.
[account deactivated]
If we require a 23andme account we can screen any additional white males from joining..
They should also post a pic of their jeans so we can check for tightness to keep out any more jncos wearing weirdos like aerdil
This is the tentative pricing structure ($USD):

Basic account - $10
Basic account (women) - free
Price per post - $1
Embed a YouTube - $3 each
Add a smiley to the forum - $25
Add flair below avatar - $5 each
Ticket to rHizonnE Barbecue in Austin, Texas - $50 each
Making Waves Gala - $600 per pair of tickets
Coffee table book of all frontpage posts with original artwork by Molly Crabapple - $35 each
[account deactivated]
mustang can post as conec, but shouldn't push it.
[account deactivated]
*throws down smoke grenade*

swampman posted:

That's not a hard standard to implement in connection to post rep... It's not hard for a magic post to get like 8 votes, but also 8 voters isnt like, supermajority of the forum..
Yet

I was thinking about this and was curious:

118 users have logged in in the last 30 days
252 users have logged in in the past year
37 of those have never posted

739 users have ever posted

7238 users are registered

scrolling through it looks like some of the (let's estimate) 6000 fake accounts are actually just spammers and not mustangs, but it's hard to tell the difference.

maybe after we get the registration/security thing sorted out a little better we can just lock out the 6,986 users that haven't logged in in the past year. if any of them come back they can make a new account or ask to have it unlocked.

drwhat posted:

swampman posted:

Yet

I was thinking about this and was curious:

118 users have logged in in the last 30 days
252 users have logged in in the past year
37 of those have never posted

739 users have ever posted

7238 users are registered

scrolling through it looks like some of the (let's estimate) 6000 fake accounts are actually just spammers and not mustangs, but it's hard to tell the difference.

maybe after we get the registration/security thing sorted out a little better we can just lock out the 6,986 users that haven't logged in in the past year. if any of them come back they can make a new account or ask to have it unlocked.

I would post more but I'm dumb and don't like being called stupid so I try to avoid it. I'm probably not the only idiot who feels similarly out there.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
We could do what a lot of forums do and have a subforum be the only one new users see when they first register until some authority grants them full access, but unstead of upvotes require at least like a three paragraph "effort post" or something? Maybe have a 'warden' like IFAP and call it Taiwanese Death Squad Training or something idk just brainstorming
[account deactivated]
I was thinking Goonfleet or MMO guild af but same ya principle tapeen
[account deactivated]