[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Embarrassing. Sad. Get some real friends.
come on, we all know youre furiously taking notes so you can incorporate this into your next standup act, keven
[account deactivated]
Predictabo!
[account deactivated]
Dead kens recent neil degrasse tyson article has some good points and imagery but then he fucks it all up by doing the pomo thing where they whine about how unfair it is that the scientific method excludes other "means of knowledge," the specifics of which as usual are unknown. There is no other means of knowledge than the scientific method. Humans believe things for three reasons. Guessing, guessing and then pretending to check, and guessing and actually checking. The last could broadly be called the scientific method. The first two have about a one hundred thousand year success rate of developing cosmology involving one planet created via various birds raping themselves and technology up to "springy stick can be used to shoot another stick"
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
its kind of bizarre to me that it just takes like two posters ironically throwing out a "god exists" every couple months for you to continuously shadowbox about how this place is a cesspit of theism

one less now that deadken has ascended to coke binge literati holocaust denier heaven
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I too am profoundly autistic
[account deactivated]
i dont think this place is a cesspit of theism but ironic racism isnt tolerated and neither should ironic Popery imo
[account deactivated]
Reasons people are atheist:
Picked on in school
Your name is Sol and your parents are hippies
Autism spectrum
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i dont think this place is a cesspit of theism but ironic racism isnt tolerated and neither should ironic Popery imo

it isn't ironic. a bunch of people here are afraid to call themselves atheist because richard dawkins mememememememememes or whatever, cat can haz cheeseburger so god must be real. internetty beavis jesus is the light

Actually, I'm afraid to call myself an atheist because I don't want God to send me to hell.

I'm Catholic actually.
And I'm not even remotely communist.
[account deactivated]
i think it's okay to believe in god as long as you shut your mouth about it and keep your crazy weird make believe shit to yourself. you freak.
[account deactivated]

ilmdge posted:

i liked his fiction it was cool. hes a good writer but too many of his essays seem to just be i dunno how to describe it but the word that keeps coming to mind is "wankery"

he needs an editor

neither God nor "scientific method" but dialectical materialism
[account deactivated]
I love God... Praise God
[account deactivated]
i dunno dead ken. does the sun Really "rise" over the horizon or is it Really just an illusion caused by the rotation of the earth and its revolution around the sun. is this question pedantry, or is it a meaningful distinction? i dunno. which presupposition allows us to build a functioning satellite network or indeed a functioning anything whatsoever
i think skilled labor is what allows us to build a functioning satellite network or a functioning anything anywhere.

i dont care how many skilled laborers you have if you start with the presupposition "build a global communications network by literally fuckin like trying to gain the favor of Ra or whatever" you are at best going to have, comparatively, a hugely inefficient process
*puts on dead ken hat yarmulke* well actually the idea of if we want modern society is a subjective supposition, and therefore whether or not we take objective measurable concepts of navigation by stellar position as the capital-T Truth is actually a subjective subject we can't inherently derive moral value from. what the hell do you mean without GPS or the fucking astrolabe the cost of shipping cocaine from south america to england has increased one thousandfold
i'm atheist, communist, AND roman catholic. problem? coem at me bro

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

build a functioning satellite network

mods???

gyrofry posted:

neither God nor "scientific method" but dialectical materialism

that's a good line but in 5 years no one in LF has clarified what "dialectical materialism" even means so rosa kitchen stein Was Right