well the lake did start declining during the soviet period. theres a good monthly review article called 'late soviet ecology' that discusses the Gr8 Plan a bit
there was an article in the monthly review about it a year or so back i believe

E: FUCK, BEATEN LIKE A KULAK
Thanks
(Leslie Nielsen pokes head in door) Friends, just a reminder that there was a Monthly Review article about this in the recent past.
*clears throat* "what's the deal with small sea communism?"

swampman posted:

That first picture, of the lake being full, is from motherfucking 1989.Im mad about lakes

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13201-012-0048-z

(both boondocks saints come crashing through the roof covered in plaster and begin dispensing information about recent ((both upcoming and and in the near past)) national review articles)
If you look into that more, you find that it's one of Khrushchev's early initiatives upon taking power, for example the USSR reached new water-sharing agreements with Afghanistan regarding the Amu Darya on March 1, 1956 (secret speech was February 25), and on August 6 the CC of the CPSU made issued the decision "About irrigation of virgin lands of the Hungry Steppe in Uzbek and Kazakh SSR for increasing cotton production." Apparently, depending on the year, 25-75% of the diverted water was completely wasted, lost in the desert. This 1955 report by the CIA on USSR cotton production says on page 3 that irrigation projects for cotton production were being discontinued (in Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan SSRs) in the mid-50s, after a decade of massive, nationwide, efforts to increase (actually double) cotton production up to that point. It also mentions that the Uzbek SSR already produced 60-70% of the USSR's cotton yield, but the 1954-58 five year plan called for a huge increase in cotton production in Uzbek region. This mediocre but sufficiently anti-Stalinist thesis talks about the Cotton Scandal, which occurred around the most intense period of sea draining.
*opens no platform thread* oh yeah, aral sea chat, im glad that in the spirit of anti-communism everywhere the discussion has focused solely on ecological disasters in the ussr insead of taking a wider view looking at the many hundreds of dying and dead seas and rivers across the whole damn globe
Lots of good things came from draining the Aral Sea-- like that cotton went to make nice wide-legged trousers needed by frequently squatting Soviet citizens. They also made trabants out of it, which if you don't know was one of the most popular cars in the DDR and therefore a lot like the Toyota Camry of today.

tears posted:

*opens no platform thread* oh yeah, aral sea chat, im glad that in the spirit of anti-communism everywhere the discussion has focused solely on ecological disasters in the ussr insead of taking a wider view looking at the many hundreds of dying and dead seas and rivers across the whole damn globe

c = sea puns are extremely powerful

turns out that the great salt lake is 48% lower than its original 1847 level and that 50% of the lake bed is now exposed. rip all the lakes

https://www.usu.edu/today/?id=55565

tears posted:

turns out that the great salt lake is 48% lower than its original 1847 level and that 50% of the lake bed is now exposed. rip all the lakes

https://www.usu.edu/today/?id=55565

http://tinyurl.com/hzzr67m

thirdplace posted:

http://tinyurl.com/hzzr67m

goatse'd eveyr damn time..

So the site hasn't been updated since day 80 and the twitter has been silent since September 26. I hope comrade Fivek is ok
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

the rhizzone where people are mystified as to where the term 'black bodies' comes from but can write paragraphs about redkahinas activity on twitter

i was the mystified one iirc (and despite reading and hearing it a bunch and various defences of it and being 10000% against cops killing anyone and it's starting to maybe sink in how shitty it is to be black in north america, i still think "black bodies" is dumb and counterproductive) ... and i couldn't write paragraphs about redkahina. just for the record

glomper_stomper posted:

marimite posted:

who is the car conspiracy dude?

lstwhl. the dude thinks the car industry is out to kill cyclists and all car-havers have an insect-fascist pathology. he thinks all drivers who run over cyclists are committing murder, "velocide".

isn't it murder to run over someone with a car in most countries in the world idk i'm not an expert

also cars have fucked our lives and are yet another dehumanizing technology so yeah

[account deactivated]
im hoping i either get my goddamn postcard and photo or at least a picture of fivek wearing a new pair of designer jeans, either one of the two will make me happy
i'm the big kahuna
its pretty insulting that all these former rhizzone posters who get on tv continue to pass up the opportunity to use one of our many catchphrases
yeah she should have mentioned your jeans, im sure she could have found a way to work it in
[account deactivated]
RT: Ms fivek, would you say the white helmets have a bad case of fail aids
FIVEK: Yes.
RT: So, the White Helmets are--
FIVEK: SHAUUUUUUUUN!!!!!!!!
Moderator: so what's up with these white hats

Taryn 5,000: we know there are photos of a steampunk wedding. Why have we not seen these photos.
[account deactivated]

Keven posted:

Moderator: so what's up with these white hats

Taryn 5,000: we know there are photos of a steampunk wedding. Why have we not seen these photos.

if my last name was 5000 i would be a rocketing international alt-left 21st c media superstar too

[account deactivated]
i still stand by my decision to not appear via facetime on CNN or Inside Edition. i'm just some dumb nerd who used domain tools and posted a darn link.

drwhat posted:

if my last name was 5000 i would be a rocketing international alt-left 21st c media superstar too

i wish you'd alt-left your browser back to the page you were on before you started posting... Twitter, which needs your best quality material now more than ever.

anyways best of luck to taryn on bigger and better things.

HenryKrinkle posted:

i still stand by my decision to not appear via facetime on CNN or Inside Edition

^ officially cool & good

HenryKrinkle posted:

anyways best of luck to taryn on bigger and better things.

yes, and best of luck to sam kriss as well *a hook appears from offstae and pulls me away*

Best of luck to all my web friends who find success or an audience, instead of becoming a dui and sexual crime defense lawyer.
come back LaserJew