Petrol posted:

fape posted:
& http://www.upworthy.com/7-real-things-you-can-do-right-now-about-the-catastrophe-in-aleppo

been meaning to ask this for a while, if anyone has sources to enlighten me id appreciate it - was Doctors Without Borders ever good? without paying attention to them id always assumed they were genuinely neutral, their heavy involvement in the Last Hospital In Aleppo propaganda over the past year and now their inclusion in lists like this obviously give the lie to that impression

maybe the hospital that got utterly destroyed in afghanistan finally drove them over the edge? i've been donating for the past couple years, i figure as long as their hospitals are getting bombed by all sides, they're still neutral. if there's been a leadership change or something i'd like to know.

look up their founder, bernard kouchner, some time

xipe posted:

Robin Yassin Kassab also looks like a neanderthal from a prehistory museum

e: what the fuck is this

quoting for ban

xipe just got excited and made a bad joke. y'all need to chill and let people engage in self-criticism. he has proven himself to be a good anti-imperialist when that is becoming increasingly rare imo

Edited by babyhueypnewton ()

The point of IFAP is to give people some leeway to express contrition, which I think xipe is likely to do, so,...
thats a tiny fig
BHPN ive never seen you intervene against someone getting ifapped for obvious racism before but theyre stil getting ifapped for obvious racism. im antiban but im waiting til they decide to say something about this post that isnt throwaway bullshit, which is all thats been said so far

xipe posted:

i bet he's really good at poker

Urbandale posted:

BHPN ive never seen you intervene against someone getting ifapped for obvious racism before but theyre stil getting ifapped for obvious racism. im antiban but im waiting til they decide to say something about this post that isnt throwaway bullshit, which is all thats been said so far

That's fair i forgot ifap exists

hey xipe i can't post in ifap for some reason but i'll take a thousand words on either the praxis of the unibrow or a marxist reimagining of asinov's Ugly Little Boy. or something else, something genuinely good, whatevs
imo he should say sorry here, and then post something effort/funny for ifap/front page. last time we ifapped somebody aside from mustang (tpaine) he broke the jail
this is relatively handy

https://syriainbrief.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/leftist-groups-on-the-syrian-civil-war/

this is better tho

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c5KNtwuqBSs3wbZQt7UsOrmFHPD-ajbHTmqnanUjne8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Urbandale ()

i cant say im shocked that bhpn is one of the "anti-imperialists" who lets actual racist comments slide because someone has "good ideology"

c_man posted:

i cant say im shocked that bhpn is one of the "anti-imperialists" who lets actual racist comments slide because someone has "good ideology"

A poster who is not a moderator and suggested self-criticism is still somehow "letting racist comments slide"

yes. saying "they made a racist joke but i like their ideology so let's not be mean" is absolutely "letting it slide"
From what I see, so far everyone agrees that the post is out of line, and that xipe should apologize, and not be banned if they apologize, so what's your beef? The justice is too watered down for you or somethin?

c_man posted:

yes. saying "they made a racist joke but i like their ideology so let's not be mean" is absolutely "letting it slide"

How about "They made a racist joke but clearly care about contributing to this forum so let's give them the opportunity to apologize before slapping down another exile" young doubt-beneficiary-denier

i generally think this forum is way too lax wrt racist/misogynist/etc jokes and comments and am apparently one of the only people who thinks so. obviously its up to the moderators to consider for themselves what sort of community they want to have

c_man posted:

i generally think this forum is way too lax wrt racist/misogynist/etc jokes and comments and am apparently one of the only people who thinks so. obviously its up to the moderators to consider for themselves what sort of community they want to have

I hate this shit too actually, but we only have post editing, force logout, and IFAP. Thread monitors can issue 6-hours probations, should I just appoint more of those?

c_man posted:

I think so too, but I'm pretty new here so I try not to call people out b/c I want everyone to like me . That's an easier feat to manage for me because I'm White Man.

It doesn't matter what irony level you are on, you can't just say "I'm going to drop this 'C/F/N/Z-word' in the forum because everyone knows I'm actually woke, so I'm obvs just poking fun at bigotry."

swampman posted:

I hate this shit too actually, but we only have post editing, force logout, and IFAP. Thread monitors can issue 6-hours probations, should I just appoint more of those?

dont ask me, i have no interest or expertise in forum moderation

c_man posted:

i generally think this forum is way too lax wrt racist/misogynist/etc jokes and comments and am apparently one of the only people who thinks so

it's also a very popular opinion to express loudly on twitter among people who quit this forum for completely different reasons

swampman posted:

Thread monitors can issue 6-hours probations, should I just appoint more of those?

imo yes, i never ifapped anybody and shriekingviolet did so rarely & it made everybody more conscientious of the community rather than giving them the excuse of raging against the machine

cars posted:

it's also a very popular opinion to express loudly on twitter among people who quit this forum for completely different reasons

what point are you trying to make here?

c_man posted:

what point are you trying to make here?

that you are unlikely to leave a vibrant forum for left political discussion online or off- and find another one where those issues are less prominent. if you want to find one where they are neurotically covered either by constant finger pointing/farcical self flagellation in place of self criticism or by flat out denial though, the world is your oyster.

also that i wish the poster diaspora would stop slagging this our beloved dead forums and return to make the threads bloom & that everyone here would recognize their right of return. but I believe in the prophecies.

cars posted:

that you are unlikely to leave a vibrant forum for left political discussion online or off- and find another one where those issues are less prominent. if you want to find one where they are neurotically covered either by constant finger pointing/farcical self flagellation in place of self criticism or by flat out denial though, the world is your oyster.

you dont think its possible to have left spaces where making bigoted comments or using slurs is not common and tolerated?

edit for clarity: to be more precise, you dont think that pushing back hard against bigoted comments or slurs is important or useful for creating a vibrant space for left political discussion? because my thought would be that implicit toleration of that behavior would be likely to discourage marginalized members of the population (that is, people who the left is supposed to be supporting) from participating in the ostensibly "vibrant" discussion

Edited by c_man ()

i don't think either of those things you suggest i am thinking.
we should definitely call out sexism & racism & transphobia & bad politics in general, but to do it in a strident and ban-heavy way is a quick path to wddp-type moderation and insularity

cars posted:

i don't think either of those things you suggest i am thinking.

then i would ask that you explain your opinion on the usefulness of pushing back hard on bigotry/slurs in left spaces. that's what i'm talking about and i dont really care about what baby finland or sam kriss or whoever have to say about this forum.

c_man posted:

then i would ask that you explain your opinion on the usefulness of pushing back hard on bigotry/slurs in left spaces. that's what i'm talking about and i dont really care about what baby finland or sam kriss or whoever have to say about this forum.

the disagreement here is probably over the methods we use to do that.

Does that mean you think the opposite?

As in, it's impossible to create a space that does not tolerate these things and that it is unimportant or not useful to try?

Edit: The speed of posts is too fast

Belphegor posted:

Does that mean you think the opposite?

As in, it's impossible to create a space that does not tolerate these things and that it is unimportant or not useful to try?

i don't know who is supposed to answer this but asking people to swear fealty to statements on which we are all likely to agree is maybe a different conversation than whether ifap is good.

oh ok nm.
I can see where you are coming from cars.

You are right that everyone here is likely to 'swear fealty' to combating bigotry, making spaces more inclusive etc.

People (myself included) can still do lip service to these things but ignore them in deed, though.

Can someone explain what happened to wddp?

What happened to that place to make people reluctant to become 'ban-happy' and 'insular?
fwiw i have already suggested that a publicly visible tag should get auto appended to a post that goes below a certain negative number in votes. so when someone like pokemon freak who never showed up before or after appears in the grover furr thread and starts defending nazis & everyone downvotes and ignores them there is more public evidence of it than just roseweirds sick owns. that was argued down and I can see other peoples point on that but it's another reason I liked to give out thread monitor bc it lets more people vandalize bad wrong posts.
also think this discussion should move to "Site News and Feedback " forum and not gunk up ilmdge's cool thread about cool things he accomplished & shared.
edit: sure, why not
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]