No
Ya
Prove it
Let me quote the wise man Auron, who you yourself quote in your siggie...

"This is MY story!"
Good question. Like when I woke up at 4 pm today, walked to the store and bought three 24 oz tall boys of coors for 4.50 and a 4 piece chicken tenders with fries and mayoketchup dip for 5.50 did I do that because I wanted that friend chicken or because I'm conditioned by society, my addiction to fried fatty food and alcohol, and some made up need to eat 'hood shit' isntead of taking the train to greenpoint and getting healthy food. Or, did I do it because God Wills It? Or because Shaitan wills it?
i have free will on vhs
Clearly you are familiar with the Book, but let me quote another passage that will correct your erroneous belief. "Tidus: People die, and Yuna dances. When will she stop dancing? When will it stop? Yuna won't stop dancing." Not even in the magically realistic world of Spira can people rise above there hollow Existence. Everything is a pointless struggle, preprogrammed march unto death
do i have free willie? i have so much free willie i could be the atlantic ocean yo
Is the Sphere Grid itself not the perfect illustration of free will?

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
Good question. Like when I woke up at 4 pm today, walked to the store and bought three 24 oz tall boys of coors for 4.50 and a 4 piece chicken tenders with fries and mayoketchup dip for 5.50 did I do that because I wanted that friend chicken or because I'm conditioned by society, my addiction to fried fatty food and alcohol, and some made up need to eat 'hood shit' isntead of taking the train to greenpoint and getting healthy food. Or, did I do it because God Wills It? Or because Shaitan wills it?

Sounds Like biological Predestiny, Or in other words You only ate that chicken because of the chemical signals in your brain. I Ahve an associates degree in philosophy

Skylark posted:
Is the Sphere Grid itself not the perfect illustration of free will?

When you have reached the end of your journey, it all comes out to the same result...

"Blame God, or yourself." ~ Delita Hyral

bonclay posted:
Sounds Like biological Predestiny, Or in other words You only ate that chicken because of the chemical signals in your brain. I Ahve an associates degree in philosophy

But why did I choose to go to the Crown Frid Chicken and not the Jerk joint or the chinese peoples food store?

meaningless question really, but yeah the answer is obviously No

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
But why did I choose to go to the Crown Frid Chicken and not the Jerk joint or the chinese peoples food store?

racism

imo we should be thankful that allah gave us the capacity to even ask that question, regardless of how shallow and ridiculous our understanding of what the question even means and its implications might be

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

bonclay posted:

Because You Have Been Inculculated With A Racist Ideology That Subconsciously Influenced You To Avoid "Foreign Foods"

Nope!

littlegreenpills posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

racism

yes crown chicken, famous cultural landmark of white people

Lessons posted:
Nope!

>

littlegreenpills posted:
racism

So you're saying I chose to get my fried chicken made by a dominican black man and a pakistani dude instead of two black people or two chinese people because of racism? I don't think that holds up.

Personally I am colorblind so i dont even think about race. Everything is all one people to me.
"You can do what you will, but in any given moment of your life you can will only one definite thing and absolutely nothing other than that one thing." -Schopenhauer (RIP)
Remember when they did studies that showed that people's body get ready to move before they make the "conscious" decision to move. Sounds like a bunch of malarkie
the victims of my poasting dont. hth

islam on demand dot com
yo can a brother get some islam up in this peace
islam was a vatican plot
i think the concept of fate may be useful here, inhabiting a space between determinism and freedom.

similar is the role of past in heidegger.

adrian johnston and catharine malabou (and, i believe, zizek in his imminent 1000 page book on hegel, the universe, and everything) call in the concept of plasticity to loop the subjects interpretation of itself back into the material realm with causal efficacy. (this therefore takes place through what z in the book i mentioend (or at least a fragment i read on amazon) calls the "torture-house of language". so heideggers idea that man dwells poetically is in some sense a particularly optimistic description of whats really going on)

heres some audio from johnston and malabou (i havent listened to all of malabou's thing yet): http://donewithlife.mi2.hr/audio
theres also video of at least the main presentations (theres several people other than those two presenting various talks at this event) but i dont know if it includes the q&a after each presentation. and i think the q&a is where johnston summarizes his thoughts on it, in reply to ray brassier (who is more into a flavor of eliminative materialism)

Edited by mistersix ()

[account deactivated]

bonclay posted:
Remember when they did studies that showed that people's body get ready to move before they make the "conscious" decision to move. Sounds like a bunch of malarkie

that was a load of crap, i think. it just means impulses happen and then a fraction of a second later we fully flesh them out into thoughts. what is it supposed to prove, really. that the things we do are controlled by our body? that the determinism is happening without us thinking things out in socially constructed words beforehand? sensationalist horseshit, i think

I don't personally have free will, but some people do, probably. I mean who knows...

mistersix posted:

i think the concept of fate may be useful here, inhabiting a space between determinism and freedom.

similar is the role of past in heidegger.

adrian johnston and catharine malabou (and, i believe, zizek in his imminent 1000 page book on hegel, the universe, and everything) call in the concept of plasticity to loop the subjects interpretation of itself back into the material realm with causal efficacy. (this therefore takes place through what z in the book i mentioend (or at least a fragment i read on amazon) calls the "torture-house of language". so heideggers idea that man dwells poetically is in some sense a particularly optimistic description of whats really going on)

heres some audio from johnston and malabou (i havent listened to all of malabou's thing yet): http://donewithlife.mi2.hr/audio
theres also video of at least the main presentations (theres several people other than those two presenting various talks at this event) but i dont know if it includes the q&a after each presentation. and i think the q&a is where johnston summarizes his thoughts on it, in reply to ray brassier (who is more into a flavor of eliminative materialism)

where do johnston and brassier stand in relation to one another (i dont have time for all this youtubes right now unfortunately)

of course we do, even animals do. sometimes your dog will feel like chasing the ball, sometimes he will just want to chill.

if anything, the ponderance of this question is proof that we do, because if we were merely ruled by instinct and survival then there would be no reason to raise this question

i choose life
[account deactivated]

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

bonclay posted:

that was a load of crap, i think. it just means impulses happen and then a fraction of a second later we fully flesh them out into thoughts. what is it supposed to prove, really. that the things we do are controlled by our body? that the determinism is happening without us thinking things out in socially constructed words beforehand? sensationalist horseshit, i think

it proves that the person employing it as evidence is making a really crude argument and has no grasp on the debate at hand

edit: this was supposed to go in the other thread! ill keep it in here too because its nice music though

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
of course we do, even animals do. sometimes your dog will feel like chasing the ball, sometimes he will just want to chill.

if anything, the ponderance of this question is proof that we do, because if we were merely ruled by instinct and survival then there would be no reason to raise this question

i choose life

animals do not have free will actually. remember?

i decided to call in sick from work last week and it wasn't because i was too physically sick or anything. I made a concious decision that I would rather fuck around at home