you can't really haul an asteroid
teh space must flow lol

littlegreenpills posted:

Look at this idiot noob.

i like space stuff
You could alter the course of an asteroid with a nuke or sumting. you dont even need to mine it or have a romance subplot.

James Cameron getting into space mining is funny when you think aboit thr themes of his movies
i saw neil degrasse tyson talk about how there are entire planet sized objects of pure diamond out in space. imagine how many circular saw blades that could tip.
Just the tip lol

potushead posted:

DildoMalone posted:
on the one hand its more likely theyll be white people so yes but on the other hand they arent even on this plante lol wtf who cares

i think the human spirit reacts strongly to the idea of a person's dead body floating through the endless black void and would rise up in horror and revulsion at least until the novelty wears off

people are really really good at ignoring fucked up shit that happens though and the media isnt going to do anything to make that harder for them i mean the human spirit reacts strongly to those ads with the sad animals but it usually just ends up changing the channel so it doesnt have to feel sad for one minute before glee or whatever comes back on

DildoMalone posted:

potushead posted:
maybe we'll care about deadly mining accidents when they happen in space

on the one hand its more likely theyll be white people so yes but on the other hand they arent even on this plante lol wtf who cares

this is similar to the storyline of the movie Moon, which was a p. cool movie albeit slow

if i can take a dump inside a moon crater within my lifetime i will die a happy man

glorp posted:
i saw neil degrasse tyson talk about how there are entire planet sized objects of pure diamond out in space. imagine how many circular saw blades that could tip.

i wanna take a trip to Planet DeBeers

it's both cute and infuriating to watch latter-day space nerds flower into being. i spent years being interested in this stuff. stop it. it goes nowhere
it's both cute and infuriating to watch latter-day space nerds flower into being. i spent years being interested in this stuff. stop it. it goes nowhere
being interested in space and science fiction basically makes you put on half a pound of weight a day by itself irrespective of any other calorific intake
rebooting the Babylon 5 franchise could literally end world hunger
[account deactivated]
elect scientists to every political position

Meursault posted:

Goethestein posted:
its cool because theyre gonna have to haul asteroids into earth orbit in order to mine them effectively. a bad thing happens and goodbye metropolitan area

how do you haul an asteroid

You basically nuke it from orbit

fuck beaton
something about tom and hauling asteroids... idk...
why are we worried about getting minerals from space? there are PLENTY of poor people who are perfectly deserving of us stealing their minerals
what if there are aliens on the asteroids

gyrofry posted:

Meursault posted:

Goethestein posted:
its cool because theyre gonna have to haul asteroids into earth orbit in order to mine them effectively. a bad thing happens and goodbye metropolitan area

how do you haul an asteroid

You basically nuke it from orbit

Thanks.

littlegreenpills posted:

actually, a colleague of mine studied this:

http://www.kiss.caltech.edu/study/asteroid/asteroid_final_report.pdf

with current propulsion technology we have some serious issues. i did propose a nuclear propulsion technique a la

Transient_Grace posted:
You could alter the course of an asteroid with a nuke or sumting. you dont even need to mine it or have a romance subplot.

with another colleague who helped with this: http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/niac/wie_optimal_dispersion.html

With nuclear methods, you start to see more effect.

Regardless this is an idiotic quixotic quest. While I have no idea who these google people are and who on earth advised them, I can only imagine they're being misled by their egos or some really dumb/naive engineers and economists. the cost of getting 1 kg to LEO is $2.2k (let alone to a c3 > 0 developing the system and operating it at sufficient risk!) so i'd love to know what on earth they can mine, process, and bring back safely to earth surface for more than that/kg.

these folks must have been reading the SA zorak space travel thread

guidoanselmi posted:
While I have no idea who these google people are and who on earth advised them, I can only imagine they're being misled by their egos or some really dumb/naive engineers and economists. the cost of getting 1 kg to LEO is $2.2k (let alone to a c3 > 0 developing the system and operating it at sufficient risk!) so i'd love to know what on earth they can mine, process, and bring back safely to earth surface for more than that/kg.

There doesn't have to be an element of manipulation here. From their perspective of course the future requires flying a mining crew into space parallel to an asteroid going a few hundred meters per second, strapping some fucking nukes onto it, and blasting it back to earth to be utilized to ends we can only speculate via methods we'll figure them out when we get that far.

I mean, what the fuck else are we gonna do? Slightly reduce first world consumption?

Don't make me laugh.

guidoanselmi posted:
Regardless this is an idiotic quixotic quest. While I have no idea who these google people are and who on earth advised them, I can only imagine they're being misled by their egos or some really dumb/naive engineers and economists. the cost of getting 1 kg to LEO is $2.2k (let alone to a c3 > 0 developing the system and operating it at sufficient risk!) so i'd love to know what on earth they can mine, process, and bring back safely to earth surface for more than that/kg.

Space heroin?

the moon is a god-sized crackrock
i'm not even saying that - i can only imagine people are out to make a buck and be the next elon musk. but if they had people who designed and flew these missions to ask them do the cost, risk, and economic analysis they would know it's going to be a money pit.

i swear elon is probably claiming this: http://www.universetoday.com/88060/spacex-mars-is-our-future/ (fwiw i was there in the audience and most people i saw just looked at him thinking 'you're shitting us' and rolling their eyes) just to egg on his silicon valley compatriots to empty out their coffers.
these kind of hopelessly quixotic ego-driven before-their-time moneywasting attempts at Big Things are what people SHOULD always be referring to when they talk about privatization being better than government

im so glad that a bunch of young billionaires are going to be the ones eating the cost and liability for expensive dangerous things that actually probably will end up benefiting everyone else (if only as an example of what not to do) and that its not going to be paid for out of the public education fund for a fucking change
dunno if thats a troll, but the first corporations were developed for colonization and trade i guess.
i for one am so glad that a bunch of young billionaires havent been violently murdered as retribution

gyrofry posted:
i for one am so glad that a bunch of young billionaires havent been violently murdered as retribution

this unironically

space is honestly kinda lame and boring
you cant even hear drakes newest banger in space lol who the fuck wants taht shit??

tentativelurkeraccount posted:
space is honestly kinda lame and boring

Agreed, being interested in space is just moral gutlessness by people too lazy or selfish to interact with or identify with humanity

There's probably like 1000000 x all the minerals ever extracted on earth under the sea bed. Might be cheaper to extract those. I dont know, not a space mining expert. just my 2 cents
i'm interested in space... the space between yr legs baby HAHahaha