Myfanwy posted:
There's probably like 1000000 x all the minerals ever extracted on earth under the sea bed. Might be cheaper to extract those. I dont know, not a space mining expert. just my 2 cents

they just started doing that.

en pee are posted:
Filmmaker James Cameron recently reminded us of the wonders of the sea by diving solo in a submarine to the deepest spot in the ocean. Next year, if all goes as planned, a rather different expedition will take place 1,000 miles south of that dive: An Australian company will start mining for copper, gold, silver and zinc on the seafloor off the shore of Papua New Guinea.

People have thought about mining the seafloor's mineral wealth for many decades. But now, a combination of high metal prices and sophisticated technology is making that possible.

Nautilus Minerals of Australia has a license from Papua New Guinea to mine a site the size of 21 football fields for its rich deposits. The minerals are found there in very high concentrations, because a natural hot spring on the seafloor has been laying them down for thousands of years.

Samantha Smith, the vice president for corporate responsibility at the company, says it's an operation that involves remotely piloted vehicles prowling around a mile under the surface.

"You have two machines that cut, and they do different kinds of cuts," she says. These tools have large grinding wheels and other devices to break up the rock at the seafloor, which is similar in hardness to concrete. "And then you've got a third machine that goes along and effectively sucks the material up from the seafloor."

The material is drawn into a long pipe, similar to the kind used in deep-sea oil drilling. This riser pipe brings slurry to ships on the surface, and the mineral-rich material is hauled to shore. The mineral-rich wastewater that comes up the pipe is filtered and pumped back to the seafloor. That way, it won't harm tuna, which swim closer to the surface, and which commercial fishermen depend upon.

And if it seems like a hassle to do all this offshore, Smith says think of the alternative — mining on land. "You've got to dig a big hole in the ground to get to the ore body. And you might even have to remove a mountain and then dig a big hole in the ground to the ore body," she says.

Offshore, you aren't forcing people off their land to dig mines, and you aren't contaminating rivers and streams.

"There's a potential environmental advantage, and really that's where the industry got a kick start," she says. Of course, the sharply rising value of metals like copper and gold has also made the big expense of this kind of operation worthwhile.

But the same natural hot springs that have deposited all that mineral wealth on the seafloor also support marine life like marine snails, says Cindy Van Dover, a marine biologist at Duke University.

"To a biologist, they're beautiful," she says. "They have symbiotic bacteria that live inside their gills, and those bacteria supply the food energy that drives the community of animals that lives there. So in an otherwise relatively depauperate deep sea, these habitats are generally pretty rich oases of life."

An Environmental Experiment

Van Dover is among the scientists that Nautilus Minerals has been consulting in its attempt to limit the environmental damage. She says you can think of mining as a very aggressive experiment: What happens when you carve away the natural chimneys made of these minerals and grind down the surrounding rock?

"We know these systems are often exposed to disturbances," she says. "The chimneys fall down and there are volcanic eruptions in some places. So the animals are adapted to recolonizing new spaces fairly quickly, we think."

It's possible the marine life will be back in a year, she says. But that could prove to be far too optimistic. The company will leave some parts of the area undisturbed so animals there can potentially recolonize the site after the 30-month mining period is over.

"I don't like the thought of messing up a pristine environment," Van Dover says. "I would rather see the deep sea stay unimpacted by human activities. But that's not a very rational view."

But George Woodwell, a scientist who founded the Woods Hole Research Center in Woods Hole, Mass., has a much more visceral reaction to destroying any deep-ocean hot spring.

"The organisms that have evolved to inhabit them are specially adapted to those places. And they are well worth examining, looking at them. They are one of the wonders of the Earth to be preserved, as far as I'm concerned," Woodwell says.

He argues it's time to stop degrading the Earth to sustain our consumptive lifestyles. "So I don't have any sympathy for the idea that we should be mining the seafloor in this late stage in the development of our industrial society. We've got to be more mature than that."

Smith, from Nautilus Minerals, says our hunger for metals keeps growing, so mining is bound to happen somewhere.

"What we're looking at here is more of a holistic view, that maybe going to the seafloor makes environmentally and socially a lot more sense," she says.

The mining activity is set to start toward the end of next year. And if it's successful, it could be the beginning of a whole new industry, operating far from public view and, so far, with very little in the way of international rules and regulations.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/02/149838302/seafloor-becomes-next-frontier-for-gold-diggers

alternatively we can all invest in thermal boreholes for max energy & minerals

http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Alpha_Centauri/Terraforming#Thermal_Borehole

guidoanselmi posted:

Myfanwy posted:
There's probably like 1000000 x all the minerals ever extracted on earth under the sea bed. Might be cheaper to extract those. I dont know, not a space mining expert. just my 2 cents

they just started doing that.

en pee are posted:
Filmmaker James Cameron recently reminded us of the wonders of the sea by diving solo in a submarine to the deepest spot in the ocean. Next year, if all goes as planned, a rather different expedition will take place 1,000 miles south of that dive: An Australian company will start mining for copper, gold, silver and zinc on the seafloor off the shore of Papua New Guinea.

People have thought about mining the seafloor's mineral wealth for many decades. But now, a combination of high metal prices and sophisticated technology is making that possible.

Nautilus Minerals of Australia has a license from Papua New Guinea to mine a site the size of 21 football fields for its rich deposits. The minerals are found there in very high concentrations, because a natural hot spring on the seafloor has been laying them down for thousands of years.

Samantha Smith, the vice president for corporate responsibility at the company, says it's an operation that involves remotely piloted vehicles prowling around a mile under the surface.

"You have two machines that cut, and they do different kinds of cuts," she says. These tools have large grinding wheels and other devices to break up the rock at the seafloor, which is similar in hardness to concrete. "And then you've got a third machine that goes along and effectively sucks the material up from the seafloor."

The material is drawn into a long pipe, similar to the kind used in deep-sea oil drilling. This riser pipe brings slurry to ships on the surface, and the mineral-rich material is hauled to shore. The mineral-rich wastewater that comes up the pipe is filtered and pumped back to the seafloor. That way, it won't harm tuna, which swim closer to the surface, and which commercial fishermen depend upon.

And if it seems like a hassle to do all this offshore, Smith says think of the alternative — mining on land. "You've got to dig a big hole in the ground to get to the ore body. And you might even have to remove a mountain and then dig a big hole in the ground to the ore body," she says.

Offshore, you aren't forcing people off their land to dig mines, and you aren't contaminating rivers and streams.

"There's a potential environmental advantage, and really that's where the industry got a kick start," she says. Of course, the sharply rising value of metals like copper and gold has also made the big expense of this kind of operation worthwhile.

But the same natural hot springs that have deposited all that mineral wealth on the seafloor also support marine life like marine snails, says Cindy Van Dover, a marine biologist at Duke University.

"To a biologist, they're beautiful," she says. "They have symbiotic bacteria that live inside their gills, and those bacteria supply the food energy that drives the community of animals that lives there. So in an otherwise relatively depauperate deep sea, these habitats are generally pretty rich oases of life."

An Environmental Experiment

Van Dover is among the scientists that Nautilus Minerals has been consulting in its attempt to limit the environmental damage. She says you can think of mining as a very aggressive experiment: What happens when you carve away the natural chimneys made of these minerals and grind down the surrounding rock?

"We know these systems are often exposed to disturbances," she says. "The chimneys fall down and there are volcanic eruptions in some places. So the animals are adapted to recolonizing new spaces fairly quickly, we think."

It's possible the marine life will be back in a year, she says. But that could prove to be far too optimistic. The company will leave some parts of the area undisturbed so animals there can potentially recolonize the site after the 30-month mining period is over.

"I don't like the thought of messing up a pristine environment," Van Dover says. "I would rather see the deep sea stay unimpacted by human activities. But that's not a very rational view."

But George Woodwell, a scientist who founded the Woods Hole Research Center in Woods Hole, Mass., has a much more visceral reaction to destroying any deep-ocean hot spring.

"The organisms that have evolved to inhabit them are specially adapted to those places. And they are well worth examining, looking at them. They are one of the wonders of the Earth to be preserved, as far as I'm concerned," Woodwell says.

He argues it's time to stop degrading the Earth to sustain our consumptive lifestyles. "So I don't have any sympathy for the idea that we should be mining the seafloor in this late stage in the development of our industrial society. We've got to be more mature than that."

Smith, from Nautilus Minerals, says our hunger for metals keeps growing, so mining is bound to happen somewhere.

"What we're looking at here is more of a holistic view, that maybe going to the seafloor makes environmentally and socially a lot more sense," she says.

The mining activity is set to start toward the end of next year. And if it's successful, it could be the beginning of a whole new industry, operating far from public view and, so far, with very little in the way of international rules and regulations.

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/02/149838302/seafloor-becomes-next-frontier-for-gold-diggers

Damn beaten to market again by dream maker James Cameron

most of the rocks in space are just rocks i think. we have rocks here, on earth. we dont need any more rocks

guidoanselmi posted:
dunno if thats a troll, but the first corporations were developed for colonization and trade i guess.

yeah but by the time that happened, murder and boat technologies were pretty much nailed down. space travel, less so.

whats the real story. the story behind the story - mark cardigan, pimp show

guidoanselmi posted:
i'm not even saying that - i can only imagine people are out to make a buck and be the next elon musk. but if they had people who designed and flew these missions to ask them do the cost, risk, and economic analysis they would know it's going to be a money pit.

i swear elon is probably claiming this: http://www.universetoday.com/88060/spacex-mars-is-our-future/ (fwiw i was there in the audience and most people i saw just looked at him thinking 'you're shitting us' and rolling their eyes) just to egg on his silicon valley compatriots to empty out their coffers.

yeah.

also that article is funny. light science starry eyed puff pieces on businesscritters are funny

Elon Musk is not one to rest on prior accomplishments;

helming spacex i can't imagine why not...

im really glad space exploration will not be made profitable before capitalism runs up against its final limit, i will have my communo-primitivist utopia and none of you fuckers will be able to post ever again
i would probably take a job workign on doomed and pointless space projects for billionaires. when i looked at space jobs a couple years ago it was almost entirely creepy defense companies
do you actually get to go into space. because if so i hope you die there, space is really boring and massively, flagrantly, screamingly gay
asteroids are gay!! planets are gay!! the whole of outer space is utterly homosexual!!

guidoanselmi posted:

littlegreenpills posted:
you can't really haul an asteroid

actually, a colleague of mine studied this:

http://www.kiss.caltech.edu/study/asteroid/asteroid_final_report.pdf

with current propulsion technology we have some serious issues. i did propose a nuclear propulsion technique a la

Transient_Grace posted:
You could alter the course of an asteroid with a nuke or sumting. you dont even need to mine it or have a romance subplot.

with another colleague who helped with this: http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/early_stage_innovation/niac/wie_optimal_dispersion.html

With nuclear methods, you start to see more effect.

Regardless this is an idiotic quixotic quest. While I have no idea who these google people are and who on earth advised them, I can only imagine they're being misled by their egos or some really dumb/naive engineers and economists. the cost of getting 1 kg to LEO is $2.2k (let alone to a c3 > 0 developing the system and operating it at sufficient risk!) so i'd love to know what on earth they can mine, process, and bring back safely to earth surface for more than that/kg.

yeah that sounds about right

costs will go down eventually, to be honest space exploitation constitutes capitalism's only hope for survival, and the fact that this project is an absolute scam disproves that capitalism is so chaotic + myopic that it cant even secure its own continuation, Marx Was Right, conspiracy theories are nonsense, gay niggers from outer space
i did it. 100 downvotes!!!! thank you and congratulations, "LandBeluga", you win an EXCLUSIVE prize!! click now

guidoanselmi posted:
dunno if thats a troll, but the first corporations were developed for colonization and trade i guess.

depends on how you define it, but corporations and companies go back to the earliest historical records of ancient india

deadken posted:
i did it. 100 downvotes!!!! thank you and congratulations, "LandBeluga", you win an EXCLUSIVE prize!! click now

No need to thank me. You earned it.

babyfinland posted:
depends on how you define it, but corporations and companies go back to the earliest historical records of ancient india

but i took ap euro in high school, you see

deadken posted:
most of the rocks in space are just rocks i think. we have rocks here, on earth. we dont need any more rocks

actually asteroids can have wildly different compositions from earth crust. it's one of the bigger mysteries of planetary science why everyone has such a different composition despite being made from the same proto-planetary disk

guidoanselmi posted:

deadken posted:

actually asteroids can have wildly different compositions from earth crust. it's one of the bigger mysteries of planetary science why everyone has such a different composition despite being made from the same proto-planetary disk

so they're, like, different types of rocks. wow. GReat

guidoanselmi posted:

babyfinland posted:

but i took ap euro in high school, you see

youre right to say that modern corporations originated in colonial projects but thats particular innovations not the corporate form itself

the catholic church was the first corporation, and as such the corporate form is divinely ordained. if u aint a theocratic right-libertarian...... u aint shit
has neone mentioned how gay space is yet?

deadken posted:
costs will go down eventually, to be honest space exploitation constitutes capitalism's only hope for survival, and the fact that this project is an absolute scam disproves that capitalism is so chaotic + myopic that it cant even secure its own continuation, Marx Was Right, conspiracy theories are nonsense, gay niggers from outer space

i dont really think thats true man, capitalism is quite adept at surviving and it's not just going to phase out of existence entirely until the very last civilization crumbles

Soon earth orbit will be so full of space junk that it will be impossible for anything to get off of earth with out getting its shit wrecked. I read this in a article i dont remember where exactly. But its cool to think about humanity being entombed in the lower atmosphere waiting for our own pollution to suffocate us to death and the world turning into a giant grey sepulcher.
Actually I think that would be 'terrible,' not 'cool'... What is wrong with you?
I am not saying that it is likely to happen but that it is cool to think about. What haven"t you ever seen any movies about where the world ends? Some times we have to explore our darker fantasies and not just the happy ones.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
has neone mentioned how gay space is yet?

space is totally gay. gay as balls. gay as consensual carnal activity between two people of the same gender

yeah it aint gunna happen any time soon. there are some interesting mitigation strategies that are being studied like massive air cannons that blow enough atmosphere to ~ 500 km to start to deorbit debris
actually scratch that. New NASA Findings Reveal: Space Is Actually Trans
^ there's an IT contractor here who's M->F trans. it's interesting to see them making the progress from afar over the past few years.

deadken posted:
space is totally gay. gay as balls. gay as consensual carnal activity between two people of the same gender

shush ur gettin me all hot & bothered.

are planets and asteroids muslim?
everything submits to the will of allah. hth

bonclay posted:
I am not saying that it is likely to happen but that it is cool to think about. What haven"t you ever seen any movies about where the world ends? Some times we have to explore our darker fantasies and not just the happy ones.

melancholia was a really good movie

you know someone here told me to watch planetes...i just read the synopsis and ya i really should
melancholia was a horrible and ridiculous movie

guidoanselmi posted:
you know someone here told me to watch planetes...i just read the synopsis and ya i really should

Yeah, watch it. Planètes is awesome.

bonclay posted:

I agree

this is rich.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2012/04/planetary-resou.html

So it looks like the study I posted was being used as a template for planetary resources inc and a few of the workshop attendees are the advising scientists. I worked with and for the PI on a separate comet mission when he was a capture lead. bringing things closer to home, both he and I were semi-finalists for the nasa innovation fund, which was the bit of seed money that helped him get the Keck, but he won.

to think i could have personally stopped it in its tracks had i have won

guidoanselmi posted:

its cool

guidoanselmi posted:

its cool