[account deactivated]
my working theory re: the artist is that its tinkzorg trolling the universe
the artists is actually a black dude iirc so probably
i never want to become a professional angry person
mods change my name to gnostic proponent of postmodern praxis
somebody made a cake and another person cut it, somebody call the waaaaahmbulance
cool cultural imperialism, maybe the author should rethink how fgm is really feminist as all hell????
Male circumcision.

discipline posted:
reminder this minister is not dismissed yet

like a cake BOSS

when can we agree that post-modern irony has been a completely useless tool for effecting meaningful social changes beyond the occasional barrel of lols

also can we agree that even if youre black irl if you have to further blacken your face up to get your point across its still kinda racist
the only thing more sad than this whole retarded affair is the people from other countries being "outraged" at it

Tinkzorg posted:
the only thing more sad than this whole retarded affair is the people from other countries being "outraged" at it

some people start their days with a blank sign and a marker, just waiting for something to protest....

what good could this art project hope to accomplish? will anything that northern europeans think about FGM actually help anyone?
This "art" is subversive and making me think about things, BAN IT AND BURN IT.

ialdabaoth posted:
what good could this art project hope to accomplish? will anything that northern europeans think about FGM actually help anyone?

"awareness" lol

Superabound posted:

ialdabaoth posted:

"awareness" lol

euros don't need to be made more aware of their superiority to savages. liberal shit will help noone. what does the artist hope swedes will do now? think, intervene?

Edited by zhaoyao ()

populations, as a whole, generally support the oppressive power structures of their governments, if not outright, then subconsciously through daily practice. Any money or effort spent simply on "awareness", without the main focus of that awareness being actual strict ideological CONVERSION to your cause is probably more likely to create an enemy than an ally. History shows that causes and agendas carried out in secret have a distinct advantage. Awareness as end unto itself, as opposed to simply the initial stage of ideological indoctrination and decisive political action, is nothing but a power-shedding abdication of that advantage.

ialdabaoth posted:

i saw an interview with the artist was that its message was something much more subtle, intended to highlight the racist and colonialist aspects of the Western fascination with FGM as much as to decry its practice

that said, it seems safe to conclude that the piece either entirely failed to convey this or did so well beyond its wildest dreams in the exact opposite of the way its creator intended, (including a sense that heaps shame on him for its production). he certain feels misinterpreted from what i've heard. also this video is part of a series with quite a few revelations, probably the most surprising of which reveals that he's been staging the performance for nearly a decade, and that no one raised a peep until now.

[account deactivated]
wow its almost as if he should have stopped doing a dumb thing after the 9th consecutive year of it being a complete failure
"This is still a good idea" --Makode Aj Linde during his 879th consecutive attempt at ending genital mutilation by pretending to be a cake
tell us more about ur theory of art please
this event is pretty much Sweden's Utoya

aerdil posted:

this, but, unironically

jiroemon1897 posted:

aerdil posted:

this, but, unironically

art is the epitome of bourgeois sentimentality

communists should politicize art, not banish it and allow it to be exploited only by the bourgeois or fascists
art is a tactic not a principle

aerdil posted:
communists should politicize art, not banish it and allow it to be exploited only by the bourgeois or fascists

actually it should be like that christian bale movie where if you have emotion u must die.

aerdil posted:

I agree!!! Art should go back to being an inherently political thing for rich kids who became dirtbags and dirtbags in general. Not just as a really efficient way of money laundering for oligarchs and their rowdy ass friends

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

aerdil posted:

actually it should be like that christian bale movie where if you have emotion u must die.

That movie and its companiion film ultraviolet were so cool

[account deactivated]
pretty gnarly art debate yall...

animedad posted:

pretty gnarly art debate yall...

[account deactivated]
so can we all agree that southern racism is the best
the cake is an awesome troll, getting a white politician to re-enact imperialist practice in a revealing + devastating manner is like 908673408656 times more effective than being angry about things on the internet. fire the entire country of sweden. sweden, you're fired

gyrofry posted:
somebody made a cake and another person cut it, somebody call the waaaaahmbulance

its there already, its been there the whole time, didnt you watch the video with the sound on??

ialdabaoth posted:

itd be kind of neat if more artists blew up their careers in attempts to bring down various complicit ministers of this or that

mistersix posted:
itd be kind of neat if more artists blew up

hipsters are racist itt