[account deactivated]
i saw what you did there--saw it with my own two eyes
i hope this book has a really original and interesting chapter on internet dating with no sources or anything

A high school sophomore confides to me that he wishes he could talk to an artificial intelligence program instead of his dad about dating; he says the A.I. would have so much more in its database.

cycloneboy

If once we were able to view the Borges fable in which the cartographers of the Empire draw up a map so detailed that it ends up covering the territory exactly. . . this fable has now come full circle for us, and possesses nothing but the discrete charm of second-order simulacrum. . . It is the real, and not the map, whose vestiges persist here and there in the deserts that are no longer those of the Empire, but ours. The desert of the real itself.

this is a beautiful opportunity for mankind. our messy, unfathomable complications are the essential cause of our misery - we are not smart enough to understand ourselves. the technologization of social relations finally makes it possible to simplify and streamline the human mind enough to finally do so. a person who has too much going on in her mind and has too many complexities to be understood and predicted by an algorithm cannot be soothed by one; those painful intricacies will be gradually trained away by a lifetime of machine-modulated interaction. and humanity can finally become a single synergistic entity, billions of people prostrate before the emerging electronic God
article c.2005
so i'm getting a galaxy nexus tomorrow. i'm pretty psyched!
agreed, the future is one of mass societal autism and thats why we must prevent it at all costs
the future was so much better in the 1920s
i try to consciously avoid this, and of course, on a date and whatever, it's really rude, even though people, especially younger girls, can't even seem to help themselves. but i take it as a signal of boredom, as if the conversation isn't keeping up
Serious people muse about the future of computer programs as psychiatrists.
on public transport in london i'd see people travelling from a day of staring at screens to an evening of staring at screens, staring at slightly smaller screens on the way.... we've become life-support systems for the machines, theyve already won
question: has the ubiquity of communications technology crippled our potential for mass action? once we were masses; now we have one facebook page (where we tell the world that we 'like' lin biao and althusser), one smartphone, one okcupid profile, we know we are individuals. the communications network is to some extent rhizomatic maybe but it is always a network of molar objects and never of molecularities

dm posted:
Serious people muse about the future of computer programs as psychiatrists.

a) MIT, lol

b) a really loud yet unspoken "presumably" at the top of that sentence

[account deactivated]
woah
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:
question: has the ubiquity of communications technology crippled our potential for mass action? once we were masses; now we have one facebook page (where we tell the world that we 'like' lin biao and althusser), one smartphone, one okcupid profile, we know we are individuals. the communications network is to some extent rhizomatic maybe but it is always a network of molar objects and never of molecularities

imo its neutered the idea of revolution (and far beyond the conception of revolution as a charge on the barricades) from a social event to a series of brutally hard fought and isolated battles. you're not just fighting state power, you have to first tell someone "yeah you're educated but your entire conception of What Is is totally incorrect" and explaining how That One TED Talk isn't evidence of space mining obviating present day ecology and social justice and shit so you're not just having an exchange of ideas, you're literally having a battle of realities as you both draw upon bodies of information regardless of their merit.

and if you're very lucky and charismatic as shit you'll convince people.

so you can do it again.

and again.

and again.

Until. You fucking. Die.

[account deactivated]
in the middle of a postfight where a centrist democrat tried to convince ppl that ethanol would be a replacement for gasoline in the future an unironic liberal christian said some shit about "apocalypse" literally meaning a clash of thinking resulting in new territory and even then it was still not even close to the dumbest thing in the thread so i wrote this at him.

This is seriously evocative of a lot of chats I had with Occupy-types about what it meant to seek "revolution".

Simply put, a traditionally conceived revolution of The People storming the barricades is doomed where it isn't straight-up impossible. The conditions aren't there, nobody supports it, if they did they'd get crushed by the state etc etc etc, its just a bad call all around. So revolution in the industrialized/post-industrial first world is right out. Period.

So why the heck Occupy anywhere?

The rough consensus was that people are so alienated, so locked in to their way of thinking that the mere act of looking around and informing oneself, of nothing more dramatic than being with people and realizing that things aren't Are in some intangible and immanent sense but rather that situations occur as a product of human action which can be altered was the revolution. A revolution inside the skull of one person, but no less profoundly game-changing within its scope for it. The aim was then not to group together in a single outmatched corpuscle of easily-marginalized dissent, but to establish a body of work from which to stage one billion revolutions in one billion people. After that, broader change would line up as surely as rocks fall down.

The crosstalk between secular and sectarian words for the same (or at least similar) concepts is a source of perpetual fascination to me, doubly so juxtaposed against secular prayers for a technological miracle to raise us from the ecological and economic hole we've been digging for the last century or so.
the most likely way barriers between disclosed pods of information will be removed is by their inevitable centralization under a single corporation. probably google, but who the fuck knows for sure. ahahahahaha. Ahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah. Ahahahahahahahahah *just fuckin suicides on thte spot*

deadken posted:
agreed, the future is one of mass societal autism and thats why we must prevent it at all costs

*procure

discipline posted:
there is nothing more infuriating to me than when I'm talking to someone and they check their smart phone, in fact I will probably leave you if you don't turn off your phone while we're eating or chatting together

we should DEF have that tea when im in london (not until end of may, at this rate)

on the other hand, Sherry Turkle
i was like the last person in my social circle to get a smartphone and i hate it, i utterly hate it, the only thing its good for is posting in bed

deadken posted:
i was like the last person in my social circle to get a smartphone and i hate it, i utterly hate it, the only thing its good for is posting in bed

Why not revert to a dumbphone if you hate it so much?

im a techno-masochist

deadken posted:

killer app

If you hate your "smartphone" maybe you should buy the only one that is actually good, the iPhone.
[account deactivated]
my phone is so old and bad i cant really read the screen if its sunny out

luckily i live in seattle
having maps would be cool..... except if i want 3G i gotta pay like an extra $40 a month....... fuck you at&t!! fuck your ass, and your mouth, and the pores in your skin
Smart phones are heavily subsidized by the carrier. Although the price of the iPhone in the Apple store is $200, the actual price is $660. The carrier hopes to make up the subsidized $460 over the course of their 2-year plan, which is about $20 extra a month.
wow cool fact there didnt kno that
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]