http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=177
May 2

PWER earnings tomorrow, highly recommend. Great balance sheet, even if it reports below forecast they have a nice cash flow and stock is cheap at this level.

May 2
4.38 roughly

Bought some PWER at 4.40 yesterday and some more today for 4.01. Oops. Here's hoping for an upswing on Monday. Otherwise this will just go down as an expensive lesson.

May 4 Close:
-0.50 (-11.29%)

lmao

my friend in high school was like hey you're good at this business stuff, pick a stock for me for my class competition. so i chose club monaco at $3. within a few months it was bought by ralph lauren for $16. so i decided that i was both a stocks genius and also gay.
your mom
I have some shirt and stuff I bought from Club Monaco a few years back. They still fit and look good.
its funny that people are dumb enough to listen to the forecasts published by companies, as if a company is going to say "well honestly, this year, we're going to suck. don't buy our stock."
my mom has a whole shelf of "dow ten million 2008? discover how you can cash in on the biggest boom in world history"

babyfinland posted:

your mom

Posting this because it's 10:42 monday morning and this shit is probably heading your way when the markets open

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets-live/markets-live-19b-lost-in-early-trade-20120507-1y7q6.html

$19B wiped off the Australian stock exchange in the first 90 minutes of trade :/
Wanna hear a joke?

Day trading.
i dunno why every terrorist group doent have a hedge fund divisions + vice versa, die hard style

probably the only surefire way to make money on trading without being goldman sachs

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

"Stocks tumble amid looming Greek debt."

There ya go.

Can this be taken advantage of? Any specific strategies? (sorry, still a noob, but I /am/ reading)

xipe posted:

i dunno why every terrorist group doent have a hedge fund divisions + vice versa, die hard style

probably the only surefire way to make money on trading without being goldman sachs

because their assets will be frozen in literally half a second on the barest suspicion that they're funding an anti-state cell

WillieTomg posted:

xipe posted:

because their assets will be frozen in literally half a second on the barest suspicion that they're funding an anti-state cell

i guess... it just seems theyre made for each other, with an attraction that can ~overcome all obstacles

the very concept of stock picking is something no mainstream practitioner of financial economics even believes. the idea that stock prices at any given moment of time already reflect information is inherent in almost every important and well-known model in the field.

people who work in the equity (stock) market are typically regarded as being in backwater areas of the industry, unless you are a bookrunner or something like that. actual stock brokers, financial advisors, etc. are typically people with business administration bachelors degrees from third rate schools with a fairly poor grasp of finance, which is why they are basically sales people.

the stock market itself is actually a lot smaller in market capitalization than a lot of other, more esoteric markets. it gets attention mostly because it is conceptually very simple, something that directly or indirectly affects a decent number of people, and lends itself to ESPNish media like CNBC that perpetuate its peripheral businesses.
Would You Like To Know More?
in my experience, people who don't believe in efficient market hypothesis get REALLY angry if you get on their case about it. like they think you are basically pushing crazy economic snake oil. and i always go well then go make a lot of money you clown and they unsurprisingly have excuses for that.

stegosaurus posted:

doug henwood is one of the few people on the left to really understand how finance works & doesn't say embarrassingly antiquated or outright wrong things

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Posting this because it's 10:42 monday morning and this shit is probably heading your way when the markets open

http://www.smh.com.au/business/markets-live/markets-live-19b-lost-in-early-trade-20120507-1y7q6.html

$19B wiped off the Australian stock exchange in the first 90 minutes of trade :/

yeah but that's aus $19b which is like five freedom bucks

getfiscal posted:

in my experience, people who don't believe in efficient market hypothesis get REALLY angry if you get on their case about it. like they think you are basically pushing crazy economic snake oil. and i always go well then go make a lot of money you clown and they unsurprisingly have excuses for that.

Yeah, it's funny because a lot of people in college who decide to major in finance do so because they think the subject and subsequent jobs in it are picking stocks by studying numbers like you do in fantasy football. then one of the first things you learn is that financial economics is predicated on the idea that markets are perfectly efficient, or at least close to it.

and they probably are, as far as a normal investor really needs to be concerned. i've never worked in the stock market, but when i was a trader (in a bigger, but much more concentrated market) the only real times when you could take afdvantage is when there was asymetrical information of some sort. one of my friends is a commodity trader and it's basically the same in what he trades; in his market, the market makers are in a race to the bottom to build their servers the closest to the physical location of where trades are processed.

Groulxsmith posted:

the stock market itself is actually a lot smaller in market capitalization than a lot of other, more esoteric markets. it gets attention mostly because it is conceptually very simple, something that directly or indirectly affects a decent number of people, and lends itself to ESPNish media like CNBC that perpetuate its peripheral businesses.

so if we go by stock charts to get an idea of whats going on in the nasdaq or w/e, what do we go by for these esoteric markets?

xipe posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

so if we go by stock charts to get an idea of whats going on in the nasdaq or w/e, what do we go by for these esoteric markets?

the bond market is pretty transparent as far as tracking its performance, and it's bigger and more important than the stock market. people make money off commodity trading through derivatives and not really the underlying instruments, but that is out there for consumption too. the really big credit markets are dominated by a few big banks; what i did, probably 90% of dollar volume was done by the 10-15 biggest institutions. what happens in that doesn't really tell you much that would be interesting though. it's a bit hard to describe, but for example, if citibank had a specific event one day, it would distort the rest of the market accordingly, but on the outside you'd never really know.

i was planning on going into accounting back in the day. ever so often i still look into it. another thing i like the idea of is like non-sales-oriented financial planning. like i know most of it is just retail but like i think i'd like to do like just financial advice stuff.
here's a hot stock tip i saw on buygoldandsilver.com: short gold futures during the day and buy them before the market closes to make 500% returns

Groulxsmith posted:

xipe posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

the bond market is pretty transparent as far as tracking its performance, and it's bigger and more important than the stock market. people make money off commodity trading through derivatives and not really the underlying instruments, but that is out there for consumption too. the really big credit markets are dominated by a few big banks; what i did, probably 90% of dollar volume was done by the 10-15 biggest institutions. what happens in that doesn't really tell you much that would be interesting though. it's a bit hard to describe, but for example, if citibank had a specific event one day, it would distort the rest of the market accordingly, but on the outside you'd never really know.

serious Q: how do non wealthy people actually make a living or make any money off the stock market considering how incestuous and corrupt finance is?

i figure day traders have to be making large consistent returns on their money just to break even and pay off living expenses + taxes. the occasional millionaire stories are easier to guess as that's just luck akin to winning a jackpot at a vegas slotmachine

AmericanNazbro posted:

serious Q: how do non wealthy people actually make a living or make any money off the stock market considering how incestuous and corrupt finance is?

i figure day traders have to be making large consistent returns on their money just to break even and pay off living expenses + taxes. the occasional millionaire stories are easier to guess as that's just luck akin to winning a jackpot at a vegas slotmachine

with the advent of computerized trading, the idea that there are repeatable patterns that create moments of opportunity to profit isn't as off-base as it probably once was, but the same computers that make it possible rather quickly correct it, so it's a fool's errand to try to beat this.

so really, in the sense of purely trading stocks, just about nobody can make a living off it, since even whatever outliers that might exist at one point in time can't sustain returns over the long run. even if a guy sitting in an exurban office park somehow had access to the same models created by physicists at investment banks, servers located next door to the exchange's servers, and information on market dynamics from dealers and market makers, he wouldn't have anything even close to the capital he would need to be able to risk over, and over, and over again to make money (like probably tens of millions of dollars.)

in other words, to the extent that inefficiencies do exist, they are so small and last such a brief time that it doesn't mean anything for day traders; day trading preys on people who really don't have any business doing what they do, and as far as i can tell, makes money by charging them for seats or accounts or whatever. there'a a reason the same kind of places that convince people they can make money by day trading also often push "strategies" based off numerology and even astrology.

http://www.eso-garden.com/index.php?/weblog/more/financial_astrology/

getfiscal posted:

isn't that what george soros did

Groulxsmith posted:

stegosaurus posted:

doug henwood is one of the few people on the left to really understand how finance works & doesn't say embarrassingly antiquated or outright wrong things

you're never truly an "ex-" libertarian

Groulxsmith posted:

http://www.eso-garden.com/index.php?/weblog/more/financial_astrology/

My old roommate worked for a guy who essentially did this and made some money off of it, but the guy also did more traditional investment as well, so its hard to tell if the guy made any real money from this financial astrology. I remember the first time I heard about it I couldn't believe that someone actually used the stars some kind of financial tool

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

with the advent of computerized trading, the idea that there are repeatable patterns that create moments of opportunity to profit isn't as off-base as it probably once was, but the same computers that make it possible rather quickly correct it, so it's a fool's errand to try to beat this.

so really, in the sense of purely trading stocks, just about nobody can make a living off it, since even whatever outliers that might exist at one point in time can't sustain returns over the long run. even if a guy sitting in an exurban office park somehow had access to the same models created by physicists at investment banks, servers located next door to the exchange's servers, and information on market dynamics from dealers and market makers, he wouldn't have anything even close to the capital he would need to be able to risk over, and over, and over again to make money (like probably tens of millions of dollars.)

I read a recent article that ( ) I don't have a link for off hand but it was about how traders in the forex market are now veering away from automated systems because they're just as susceptible to trends as investors but also tend to use old data to make decisions and have made huge dumb mistakes costing the firms lotsa $$$. I don't know how the stock market computer systems are doing but I'd guess they're not perfect either. computerization doesn't seem like much of an advantage outside of arbitrage where the gains are so marginal anyway

gyrofry posted:

getfiscal posted:

isn't that what george soros did

george soros targeted policy failures by the government based on forcing them into a position where they had to buckle in ways that they claimed they wouldn't do. part of the issue was that his actions were so massive that they sort of changed the rules of the game. like say a small central bank said they were going to maintain a certain exchange rate with the US dollar and did so by holding certain reserves or something, soros would fly in with billions of dollars and force them to deplete their reserves until they couldn't credibly maintain the exchange rate, and all of soros' money would be based on bets that they wouldn't maintain the exchange rate, and then that would break things and he'd win. but that doesn't really have anything to do with efficient markets, really, it's a specific policy problem associated with foreign exchange and central banks and such, because no one thought it was possible to manipulate currencies at that scale.

I remember a few years ago in the thick of the bubble/crash he did a bunch of interviews going on about his alternative to emh which he called reflexivity. Something like every bubble is based initially on a real phenomenon, but perceptions begin to diverge from reality in a predictable way and bam profit, but I don't know the critical details so maybe bullshit
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/0ca06172-bfe9-11de-aed2-00144feab49a.html

stegosaurus posted:

is there a version of this that doesn't have all the weird spacing errors?

edit: it looks like it only occurs in the first chapter.

Edited by DirtMcGirt ()

Given the impending European collapse and subsequent world war I'm not sure it's a good idea to invest very heavily right now. Except for Apple, because they have the remainder of the PC market to absorb.
i was thinking the other day the best long term investment is going to be in old people shit like diapers and nursing homes and such.

all that baby boomer capital is going somewhere and it probably ain't their kids
probably invest in U.S. health insurance companies because of Obama Care 2014 baby

WillieTomg posted:

xipe posted:

Contribute to the right people and you can easily operate long enough to afford shell companies and accounts! its so easy to be a finance criminal if you have a little capital to start with

if you short something that gets frozen or delisted, are you just fucked or do you not have to return the shares you borrowed? there were like a dozen shitty and obviously fraudulent chinese firms in the last couple years that it seemed like you could make a fair amount shorting w/ not much risk but i think youd have to be pretty fast about it because they mostly got delisted i think