As Quebec's historic student struggle enters its 13th week of strike and constant mobilization, the battle has entered a new round. At the beginning of May the provincial Charest Liberals finally sat down with students and other groups to produce an offer that is now being voted on by students at colleges and universities across Quebec.

But already 18 out of 19 student assemblies have rejected the agreement by significant majorities, suggesting the conflict may be long from over. The Minister of Finance has suggested that ultimately, it may be the voters who resolve this crisis.

Student demonstrations have not slowed down either. For two weeks now, the students have been marching late into the night from 9 pm to 2 am. Hundreds of demonstrators snake through downtown Montreal, tailed and often blocked by muscular units of riot police who seem eager to gas the protestors or even beat them up.

Police violence and aggression has reached a new low. On May 4th, several thousand of students, labour and community groups demonstrated outside the provincial Liberal Party's general council meeting in Victoriaville, a small town about 150 kilometres northeast of Montreal.Already the meeting had been moved to this more remote location to avoid protest. But in the charged environment a police riot broke out."One young student has been blinded, another was between life and death after the police charged and refuse to help him. Police refused to call an ambulance for injured demonstrators," Marianne Breton Fontaine, leader of the Young Communist League in Quebec told People`s Voice.

A distributor of the PCQ's newspaper Clarté saw a woman trade unionist protestor have her teeth knocked out by a police officer. Video images of police brutality continue to shock on the internet, while the French‑language Quebec media appear disinterested by the alarming level of violence against the student movement.

Each day produces new graphic stories, like a grandmother being arrested at a feminist demo in support of the students. The left wing political party Quebec solidaire has called for a full public inquiry into Victoriaville and Amnesty International is also circulating a petition against the police violence. Quebec provincial police arrested 106 people after the Victoriaville student demonstration, directly from the bus returning to Montreal and Quebec City, at the same time as negotiations were still taking place in Quebec City.

After major public pressure the Charest government finally caved‑in and agreed to negotiate.
"The government set up a false sense of urgency, but the only real urgency was for Charest to return to his Party's general council meeting in Victoriaville with something concrete to deliver to his supporters," said Breton Fontaine.

Even Liberal Party members are now starting to criticize the government's handling of the conflict. At one point in the negotiations, the government told the students that they accepted their demands for a board to oversee the administration of public funds into university, and a two‑year fee moratorium.

This created a sense of victory for the students. But all this was a trick. The government negotiators spoke separately to each of the student negotiators, changed one word at a time, and so diluted the offer. Then the government made the student representatives from each Quebec national association sign the document separately while the offer was changed! The government quickly coordinated with the media to talk about an agreement in principle and to say that the strike was settled. In fact the effort was to divide, and spread mis‑information.

A Pyrrhic victory?

As a result, students and their allies initially reacted with confusion to the offer. On one hand, the student representatives explained to the media and their organizations that all the tuition increases will be compensated by a reduction of institutional fees, and eventually a reduction of the tuition increase if this was not enough.

In fact, the fees that will be under negotiation are vastly different between institutions, depending on the financial background of the students, and the schools' position with the notorious pecking‑order of Post‑Secondary Education (ie. between the so‑called "red brick" and "ivy league" schools). For example, the Université du Québec en Outaouais in Gatineau charges only $70 for these fees, while McGill in Montreal charges around $1000.

A prairie fire

Meanwhile, students are asking why they fought for so long, sacrificing a session of their education that they paid for, to win such poor results. While many students are beginning to tire,The determination to continue is still among their ranks. As an example, the night demonstrations have been joined by an increasing number of activists who had not participated in any form of protest before.
Another demonstration is the realization, expressed in the CLASSE newsletter The Ultimatum a few weeks ago, that "The right to education movement has gone beyond the simple issue of tuition hikes - it has made it possible to clearly express that we are fed up of sitting back while our collective future is defined by the demands of the political and economic elite."

This was most clear at the April 22 Earth Day rally which saw almost 300,000 students, environmentalists and labour activists together in a huge show of solidarity. The spirit of the demonstrations has also spread beyond Quebec, with a student open letter even calling for strike action in Ontario.

A survey of over 2,000 students by the Globe and Mail across Canada said that 62 per cent of postsecondary students would join a similar strike in their own province. Numbers varied from 22 percent support in Alberta to almost 70 percent in Ontario.

I go to school in Ontario and believe the call for strike action in this province is appropriate at this time to introduce the idea of striking into student consciousness. Certain universities are more radical than others and it's unlikely that there will be an actual strike come the fall but it's worth putting the idea onto the table. This article comes from the Young Communist League whose position is that calling for strike action is premature but I disagree. If not now, while we can still point to Quebec as an active example, then when?

Donald i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it and what you think will happen with the Charest government.

non lethal weapons

and here's a super long and detailed article about what's been going on over at Signal Fire

and some stellar reporting by sun media titled does John Charest have balls?
what would the strike demands in ontario be

shennong posted:

the political situation in quebec is very volatile. there has to be an election within the next year or so and there has been a lot of realignment since the past election. for example, the emergence of a new major party, the CAQ, which is generally seen as pro-business. there was also a collapse of parti quebecois fortunes that completely reversed itself over the past few months, although another, smaller pro-independence party called option nationale was also formed.

the general thinking is that charest wants to make the students look unreasonable and violent so that he can be the party of order. charest will get all of the non-francophone votes in west montreal so to hold government he only needs around a third of the votes elsewhere, roughly speaking. so he thinks he can rile up enough people to hold on to a plurality of seats and beat the CAQ by seeming more conservative. the students that are the least interested in the strike have been english-speaking ones, too.

the parti quebecois' strategy is basically to say that the liberals are divisive and are breaking the quebec model, that includes low tuition. they've actually mused about free education in the past (particularly under boisclair) so they have some credibility on the issue.

quebec solidaire, which calls for free education, has stabilized around 8% of the vote, up from around 3% to 4% last time, and might win a few seats in montreal, but it isn't a major player yet.

as for the strike itself, CLASSE has been emphasizing that it won't win without widening the strike to mainstream labour unions, and those unions generally just want to send sympathy without walking off the job. a lot of the rank and file union workers in quebec are social-democrats and broadly support the students but they don't see it as their own fight really and mostly just want to back parties like the PQ or QS.
ontario might be tricky because the direction is generally different. ontario would argue that it has lowered the price of university by about 30% in the past year. so it's different than striking to stop a huge new increase.

shennong posted:

To our representatives at the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS) and affiliated student union locals,
Our response to the race to the bottom; tuition fees across Canada should be immediately lowered to the levels in Quebec, as a step towards abolishing all tuition fees in the country.

Prepare for an Ontario-wide strike vote in the Fall of 2012!

the teacher's union (california) at my school will probably be striking fall 2012 as well, hopefully some shit goes down

getfiscal posted:

ontario might be tricky because the direction is generally different. ontario would argue that it has lowered the price of university by about 30% in the past year. so it's different than striking to stop a huge new increase.

most def, I don't think anybody actually expects a strike to happen, it's more about introducing it into the discourse i think

i was listening to a TRNN interview with some of the leaders or representatives or whatever and it was clear that there wasnt that much political consiousness underlying the strikes, other than in a fuzzy, abstract sort of way.

i think more than that is too much to expect at this point. i dont really see where these strikes could ultimately end up going, though, if we're just speaking for immediate material effects.
[account deactivated]

Tinkzorg posted:

i was listening to a TRNN interview with some of the leaders or representatives or whatever and it was clear that there wasnt that much political consiousness underlying the strikes, other than in a fuzzy, abstract sort of way.

i think more than that is too much to expect at this point. i dont really see where these strikes could ultimately end up going, though, if we're just speaking for immediate material effects.

as french speakers, probablly doing stinky extremist things like cut peoples heads off instead of being resonable

NO ONE talks shit on robespierre in my forum
bwahaha robbespire was the protogoon ahahahhahahaa

NO ONE talks shit on robespierre in Emanuela's forum

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

he would post in gbs forum if he was alive today
you are clearly a very ignorant / dumb person which is fine but i'd appreciate it if you didn't spread your incorrect opinions here for decent people to read
building is apparently q-bec police hq

Doug posted:

bwahaha robbespire was the protogoon ahahahhahahaa

this is an interesting comparison, one which I had not considered before, but now seems so evident. thank you for your wisdom, doug.

you too, punk

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

you are clearly a very ignorant / dumb person which is fine but i'd appreciate it if you didn't spread your incorrect opinions here for decent people to read

HMM you know who else couldn't stomach dissent? don't lose your... head ahaha

this is a jacobin safe space. the despotism of tyranny against liberty will not be tolerated. liberté, égalité, fraternité ou la mort
free doug
doug deserves better

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

he lives on a farm

Lessons posted:

free doug

thjis

lol the quebec government just announced an emergency law that will suspend classes now and then restart them in august for a month of catch-up class. the idea is to kill off the strike by deferring things.

but the extra cool bit is that the government is probably going to introduce a new measure that will make it explicitly illegal to picket a school, and fine people if they try to picket.
Right to Learn
i want the government of john james charest to fall but i honestly don't care that much about the strikes one way or another, unless it causes a mass awakening as to the failures of la revolution tranquille
they polled people again and like 60% support the government on this issue and 37% support the strikers. so now i dunno if the labour unions are going to do anything about shit. which is probably a bad idea in terms of like well the government is banning picketing in this situation which seems like it might umm be relevant to unions.
does canada have an afl-cio
i wonder if charest is going to call a snap election. that'd be a good troll. like "we need a mandate to defend the good students and get things running again". so that when august comes they can say "you had your chances. i'm sorry that's democracy, if you don't like it go to coree du nord"

gyrofry posted:

does canada have an afl-cio

quebec unions are sort of independent from the main canadian union confederation which is the Canadian Labour Congress.

they do have unions that used to be pretty militant, like the CSN and FTQ. part of the problem is that many quebecers consider the unions rotten and corrupt and want the government to punish them in various ways.

here's some good background psychology from a toronto student:

This generation protesting (Generation Y), which happens to be my generation, is the exact opposite of Generation X. While Generation X suffered from apathy, and self-degradation, Generation Y suffers from a self importance, and sense of entitlement over everything. This is what happens when you raise a whole generation on 'hopes and dreams'. This is what happens when you give medals to kids just for participating because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Every damn kid thinks they are a movie star or celebrity. I see this attitude everywhere I go. My generation spends all night on Facebook and Twitter posting the most asinine content as if anyone even gives a damn about what they ate (by making it their profile picture), or what movie they just watched. My generation doesn't know suffering. They see people in the Arab Spring and are actually delusional to equate their plight to the plight of those in the Middle East. It's so pathetic and I'm ashamed.

But another good point was brought up. 160 000 students are protesting? That's like every damn post-secondary student in Quebec, but there is no way that it is actually just students. I get the feeling that burnt out 30 something year old Marxists from across the country, and perhaps north eastern Untied States are hijacking this protest. There's no way there can be 160 000 students who are this stupid. If so, Quebec has no future.

BTW, I am a university student at York University in Toronto. I'm purely middle class and paying almost $7000 a year in tuition and I am doing just fine after minor student loans. These kids in Quebec are paying a fraction of what I pay for education. This should give some perspective.
that really is some good background! thank you getfiscal! we need more reactionary voices to break up the insular echochamber humdrum of our meek lil' forum here
i guess i just wonder if he's upholding apathy and self degradation
i didnt read anything in this thread but i agree with getfiscal
Charest has just announced the details of the law. If there is a demonstration that is unauthorized, the fine will be:
$1,000-$5,000 for individual protesters; $7,000-$35,000 for organizers; $25,000-$125,000 for organizers. If the 'offence' is repeated, the fines will double for each 'offence.'
the first fines are for people who are just like average people, the second are for people who are student association leaders or union leaders and things like that, the third are for organizations themselves. this applies to people who hold or call for protests or pickets.

aerdil posted:

that really is some good background! thank you getfiscal! we need more reactionary voices to break up the insular echochamber humdrum of our meek lil' forum here

i don't think you know what reactionary means m8

[account deactivated]