A group of young women climb around in Dumpsters in the back alleys of Coquitlam, B.C., searching for discarded food. These women are not homeless or poor, but choose to scavenge their meals this way. They are part of a movement called 'freeganism'. A ‘freegan’ is someone who gathers edible food from the dumpster bins of grocery stores or food stands that would otherwise have been thrown away. Freegans aim to spend little, if no money on purchasing food and other goods. Rather, they see the potential in discarded items whether it be clothes, food, or other goods. The choice to not spend money on items such as food is rarely based on a financial need; rather it is trying to address issues of over-consumption and excess.

This is your body on freeganism.

Talk about conforming to expectations...

Maybe freegans think shampoo is environmentally damaging. Or maybe they don't like to kill parasites. Check yourself.

They scavenged all this!

Okay, this bread looks pretty good.

And so does this sandwich.

As night falls, scavengers descend on an organic supermarket's refuse bins.

So she'll eat from a dumpster, but she won't get inside unless she's wearing a Tyvek suit. Okay. That's perfectly consistent.

Yes, I would like to eat things that I wouldn't handle without nitrile gloves. Did she scavenge the personal protective equipment, I wonder.

Two freegans react gleefully upon finding something.

It's cashew ice-cream!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/in-pictures-freegans-find-dinner-in-dumpsters/article2434582/

At night the ice weasels come.
tias
i remember when there were some freegans in lf.

Goethestein posted:

i remember when there were some freegans in lf.

halcyon days, i actually do kind of miss there being an endless reservoir of earnestly horrible ideas

some smaller grocers feel bad that they throw out a lot and you can build relationships with them where you take some of their "good but non-saleable" food if you can prove it goes to people in need. in toronto they have a charity based on this principle that recovers tonnes of food this way (second harvest). they estimate they recover something like 1% of the available food and don't recover much the rest largely because of capacity.

theoretically it would be a good policy to fund such projects so they could scale up to recover most non-saleable food but even that's sorta bullshit because maybe everyone should be able to get food?
my personal viewpoint is deeply structuralist i guess, like how do we build virtuous systems and social practices that change things, rather than worrying about personally like recycling every can or whatever.

getfiscal posted:

my personal viewpoint is deeply structuralist i guess, like how do we build virtuous systems and social practices that change things, rather than worrying about personally like recycling every can or whatever.

charismatic leaders

im a freegan, but with consumer electronics and other items with a high resale value. laud my principled stand
im a chocoholic but for booze. bless this mess
don't eat electronics, good grief
i'd eat a camera
no need to enumerate the full list tom,
the funny thing about all the food going to waste is that homeless ppl generally dont want for food with support structures in place, housing is the big thing.
they also don't always get the alcohol their bodies need
i wonder if the average freegan is a blonde female.
i'd eat a blonde female
this doesnt seem like a bad idea and looks kinda fun
i dunno, it's easy to laugh at their lifestylism or whatnot, but they are living their rhetoric and ethos for a change. Certainly not something to be derisory about.
i bet their farts smell really bad
it'd be a lot more respectable if they'd just steal food and rob food

Impper posted:

this doesnt seem like a bad idea and looks kinda fun

please don't make being gutterpunk the new trend

i dont really have enough cultural capital to make any trends.
that girl with the hazmat suit is bringing her A game. I would dumpster dive like she does. I would not dumpster dive as part of a wider stance that involves gross white person dreads (babylon...) or patchy clothing but I would definitely do it purely from a tactical standpoint.
[account deactivated]

Impper posted:

I think you're forgetting a certain Hard brothership, don't be so modest Jonson!

Impper posted:

Don't sell yourself short, you're a rhizzone alpha male, but idk if you could make homely, pimply dykish girls 'aesthetic' at all

[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

that girl with the hazmat suit is bringing her A game. I would dumpster dive like she does. I would not dumpster dive as part of a wider stance that involves gross white person dreads (babylon...) or patchy clothing but I would definitely do it purely from a tactical standpoint.

Ugh I fucking hate white people

i like how the girl with the headlamp is making the awesomeface

Groulxsmith posted:

Impper posted:

Don't sell yourself short, you're a rhizzone alpha male, but idk if you could make homely, pimply dykish girls 'aesthetic' at all

i probab ly could

gyrofry posted:

i like how

[account deactivated]
could dr. melon actually be a freegan rather than a medical professional?

[account deactivated]
sorry to dredge uyp painful memories :/
[account deactivated]
bf got perma'd over the sinking of the Chosun of all things iirc which was hilarious
[account deactivated]
I was Permad for McNulty