These posters have been put up around Chicago to support their shadow summit about Afghan women.

This is suje a sjockeng szurprise!
The Evil Shadow Cabal will meet to discuss Human Happiness at 8pm at the West mall. Snacks and refreshments will be provided
a little too on the nose
madeline albright of "we think the price is worth it" fame is going to be there.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/former-secretary-of-state-madeleine-albright-ambassador-melanne-verveer-and-congresswoman-jan-schako
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

We have a moral obligation to prevent this horror.

there will be panel discussions in hell, nothing but panel discussions

bonclay posted:

nice photoshop, Time, but im not buying it

remember when that girl was happy cuz she got some nice plastic surgery and a new nose and the islam apologists called her a whore who sold out her people
islam is so bad... sigh... oh well.
the only reason that girls nose was cut off is because of amerikkkan aggression.
Actually islam is good. Please let me know if you'd like to enter formal Debate.
keven, i can't debate with you because your premises are wrong. if you are a mystic then you have to check your premises and see which ones are wrong and you'll find at least one is wrong. that's what i learned from ayn rand which is why i'm an atheist, or, as i like to call myself, a "real worldist". not like the show, i mean well, this is the real world, if you don't like it, well, try another world. leave earth alone.
REMINDER that if the United States hadn't supported the Taliban and other Afghani far-right loonie fundie insurgents, the glorious Democratic Republic of Afghanistan would still be in charge and women's rights in Afghanistan would be ahead of the United States.
thats doubtful.
[account deactivated]
Somebody post those pictures of urban Afghanistan pre-soviet occupation.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

NounsareVerbs posted:

Somebody post those pictures of urban Afghanistan pre-soviet occupation.

Life was good in Communist Kabul, until the Russians came a-knocking...

That's where I step in. They call me Ismail.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
http://images.lmgtfy.com/?q=pre-soviet+Afghanistan
we've come full circle
[account deactivated]
the snake that is the internet eats its own tail.

guidoanselmi posted:

the snake that is the internet eats its own dung

Message Recipients: Barack Obama (Democrat) - President, Rajiv Shah - Administrator of USAID, Leon Edward Panetta (Democrat), Hillary Rodham Clinton (Democrat)

Subject: Don't Trade Away the Rights of Afghan Women!

Dear (recipient name),

I am writing to ask you to ensure that human rights, including women's rights, are not traded away during or after the peace talks with the Taliban and Afghan government.

When the U.S. and NATO entered Afghanistan in 2001, one of the justifications of the mission was to ensure the protection of human rights, including women's rights. More than ten years later, peace talks between the Taliban, Afghan government and the U.S. jeopardize women's human rights.

I urge you to adopt an action plan for Afghan women to ensure that Afghan women's rights are not traded away in the transition. The U.S. should make clear that human rights, including women's rights, are non-negotiable and ensure that mechanisms are in place to uphold those rights after any agreement is reached.

This action plan should include these steps:

• The U.S. government should work to guarantee human rights in the peace process with the Taliban and other insurgent groups by creating a robust monitoring mechanism that ensures human rights are not violated during or after the reconciliation process.
  • U.S. diplomats should communicate in all of their interactions with their counterparts in the Afghan government and the Taliban that ensuring human rights, including girls' and women's human rights, is a priority for the US that is non-negotiable.
  • The U.S. government should ensure that reconciliation talks are inclusive and reflective of Afghan civil society, including minorities and women. Afghan women should be meaningfully represented in the planning stages and during the reconciliation talks, in keeping with UN Security Council Resolution 1325 and the U.S. government's National Action Plan to implement Resolution 1325.
  • Gender parity should be sought in all negotiating teams. To this end, the U.S. government should urge the Afghan government to set at the least a 30 per cent quota for Afghan women.
  • The U.S. government should ensure that any political agreement includes verifiable benchmarks for the parties' conformity with international human rights laws and standards, in particular with regards to women; for instance by documenting: trends in school attendance, especially of girls; trends in women's access to health care; trends in maternal mortality and infant health, access to family planning and reproductive health services; and the ability of aid workers and civil society activists -- in particular women's human rights defenders -- to operate in areas under the respective control of the parties.
  • The U.S. government should provide support, including funding and logistical assistance, for local level and national consultations with women in all provinces facilitated by women's rights representatives and groups to ensure that their concerns and recommendations are incorporated into any reconciliation agreement.
  • The U.S. government should promote and fund women's education programs for women and girls at all levels of education.
  • The U.S. government should promote and fund women's empowerment programs.
  • The U.S. government should ensure that reconciliation talks do not result in impunity for serious violations of human rights and war crimes. The 2005 Action Plan for Peace, Justice, and Reconciliation should be reinvigorated and its recommended activities fully implemented within an agreed time-frame.
  • The U.S. government should immediately perform a gendered assessment to determine potential trends, threats of escalating violence and opportunities for mitigating violence in the run-up and wake of US withdrawal. Such an assessment will help identify entry points and potential actions that could be taken to mitigate violence, and link prevention to peace building.
  • The U.S. government should support efforts to prevent, investigate, prosecute, and proportionately punish violence against women in all forms and ensure safety and assistance to survivors by working through the U.S. State department, including INL, USAID, DOD and other U.S.-government funding, to strengthen the capacity and expertise of local justice institutions and related needed legal reform, and monitor their progress and accountability.
  • The U.S. government should urge the Afghan government to guarantee that safe homes, or women's shelters, will be allowed to continue to operate without political interference, and should support NGO's working to provide assistance and shelter to women at risk.
  • The U.S. government should support programs to strengthen and reform the criminal justice system, including training of the judiciary and police in order to implement national and international law and standards which promote and protect the rights of girls and women.
  • The U.S. government should push for implementation of the Elimination of Violence Against Women law in the courts in Afghanistan.

I will continue to expect that the United States keeps the promises made to the women of Afghanistan. Please do not sacrifice human rights, including women's rights, as U.S. troops withdraw from the country.

i think like a report or something leaked about how to treat visiting canadian vips in afghanistan or something and it was all like "show them to a school filled with young women" and shit
you have the right to remain silent
our prime minister is really pro-war in general but he seems to have decided a few years ago that afghanistan is a bullshit war because he refused to extend the combat mission and now announced that canada probably won't even extend the small training mission past 2014 despite the fact that nato wants him to scale up.

back a few years ago the liberal leader ignatieff wanted to stake out a unique position between pro-afghan war harper and anti-war layton by saying he wanted a training mission and harper trolled him by being like yep we'll just do training and ignatieff was like well then umm okay i guess. then the liberals got obliterated in the following election.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
a cool thing about the phrase womens rights is that there's no assortment of quotation marks with it that isnt patronizing. "women's rights." "women's" rights. women's "rights"
i like reading shitredditsays because there will be a thread with hundreds of comments calling trayuvon martin a drug addicted coon and over on SRS theyre chimping out because somebody called a fat person gross
[account deactivated]