udacity is like coursea but only for comp sci and much more intense
wow ill be sure to check THAT out

edit: first post since teh crash
[account deactivated]

bonclay posted:

Don't worry, OP. There is always hope. Maybe it seems like a bad job market, but there are still jobs out there. even if it is a 1 in a million chance, if you work hard and are the best in your field, you can get a job. It doesn't matter who you know, or how good a schmoozer you are, it just matters how pure your heart is and how dedicated you are to your field. Keep fighting the good fight. Believe in yourself. Stand out from the crowd. Never say die.

Thats actually hella agreed. And good luck to

i have a job interview to become a barista again on wednesday, fulfilling my dreams of grandeur one minimum wage job at a time
after taking a three year ba course for five full years of my life i will finally graduate next year. should i bother doing anything afterwards or just suicide instead

deadken posted:

after taking a three year ba course for five full years of my life i will finally graduate next year. should i bother doing anything afterwards or just suicide instead

http://suicidehotlines.com/california.html

There are people who care about you, deadken.

by the time i graduate i will be back in the uk, where the only suicide hotline is manned by a fat northern woman who says things like "yeah you sound like a ponce, go on, off yerself"
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:

by the time i graduate i will be back in the uk, where the only suicide hotline is manned by a fat northern woman who says things like "yeah you sound like a ponce, go on, off yerself"

get this: shes right

discipline posted:

I feel like I got a lot of good experiences and personal growth out of my university years (no regrets) but if I could have done it all over again I guess I'd have done it way way way differently

i learned nothing at university other than how to play the videogames that came out while i was at university, and how to lie on an overtime sheet so that id be able to afford my postgrad, and how to be born into the last generation to have affordable education in the uk, all very marketable skills

discipline posted:

so why do you need to do a PhD to do all this and more? it seems like a waste of money. I don't know what exactly you exhibit but yeah

I'm not going to pay to study the PhD. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to, it's either fully funded or nothing. I've been formally offered the place now and it seems I'm in the running for a funded place from the AHRC, I'll find out next week or so.

I have an MA already. i think the question asked before was "what can I use this qualification for?" and the answer is still more of what I do at present, but at a higher level. I don't think there is suddenly a new thing that it will allow me to engage with that is completely different from what I've been working on before, as it would if I qualified as a lifeguard. I teach at universities every now and again freelance at the moment, the difference would be that a few more of those that I'm in contact with would asking me in more frequently. I imagine it can only help with getting my writing for publications taken more seriously or my curatorial projects being given the go ahead too.

More importantly than any of this though, I'm interested in the subject enough to simply want to follow it through for its own sake. The PhD puts me in a really good position to do that working along side other people in the institution, and the funding means I can cut down my paid work and concentrate on something that I'm otherwise doing in my evenings.

So yeah, I find out next week but I am happy either way.

d&g specalist here, making mad bank. let's just say im well on my way to becoming a literal body w/o organs *taps nose*
[account deactivated]