littlegreenpills posted:

im sorry i dared cast aspersions on the only professional sport you can play with an entire hemisphere of your brain missing

NASCAR is actually very fucking complex lol. you definitely couldnt do it with a hemisphere of your brain missing because you need the right side to see your left field of vision just as much as you need the left to see your right side field of vision...

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

i forget why they started asking for donations. probably because they get ddosed nonstop lol

Maggotmaster...

Goethestein posted:

Lessons posted:

i forget why they started asking for donations. probably because they get ddosed nonstop lol

Maggotmaster...

thread is tl;dr but:

say hello to the new communism, same as the old communism.

babyhueypnewton posted:

our occupy (DC) just got razed and I only know because I drove by,

really says all.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Revleft actually has the readership to require money for hosting costs. Rhizzone is just like 40 bux a month that Goey pays probably lol

http://www.webfaction.com/services/hosting

i got us some memory upgrades tho so its just a bit more

So, as I was discussing a retarded 'blog war' with some Facebook acquaintance of mine i said something which i fancied to be rather clever, i would kindly appreciate it if you guys could knock me down a notch:

A significant and obvious difference between 'the Left' and 'the Right' (in the first world context) is clearly that Left's tendency for internal fragmentation, here in the rhizzone this sentiment is particularly apparent as most of us prefer the tradionalist right over the 'soft-progressive' liberal left. when you look at pretty much most leftist in the 2nd half of the 20th century you find a rather significant ideological focus on 'what is moral/correct' and an attempt to only apply praxis when it comes from a position of ideological purity/certainity', this of course makes praxis unlikely and any movement's foundation precarious, if the value of physical actions is subject to constant reevaluation then every action is in danger of becoming pointless or even 'damaging to the cause'.

the right does not suffer from these ailments, the right assumes its goals are virtuous a-priori and since 'praxis' in a reactionary framework usually means maintaining the status quo it does not rely upon an ideological framework and cannot be attacked fr om that perspective.

Edited by Transient_Grace ()

Transient_Grace posted:

So, as I was discussing a retarded 'blog war' with some Facebook acquaintance of mine i said something which i fancied to be rather clever, i would kindly appreciate it if you guys could knock me down a notch:

A significant and obvious difference between 'the Left' and 'the Right' (in the first world context) is clearly that Left's tendency for internal fragmentation, here in the rhizzone this sentiment is particularly apparent as most of us prefer the tradionalist right over the 'soft-progressive' liberal left. when you look at pretty much most leftist in the 2nd half of the 20th century you find a rather significant ideological focus on 'what is moral/correct' and an attempt to only apply praxis when it comes from a position of ideological purity/certainity', this of course makes praxis unlikely and any movement's foundation precarious, if the value of physical actions is subject to constant reevaluation then every action is in danger of becoming pointless or even 'damaging to the cause'.

the right does not suffer from these ailments, the right assumes its goals are virtuous a-priori and since 'praxis' in a reactionary framework usually means maintaining the status quo it does not rely upon an ideological framework and cannot be attacked fr om that perspective.

no i think that's a pretty reasonable observation. iirc badcrumble had posted something similar to this back in old LF; not so much about the differences with respect to Left/Right, but rather more about the millennial generation's obsession with ideological purity. you can see this in the extreme through things like the social justice posters, but also in the general culture, e.g. with bronies, the indie games phenomena, nerds flipping out when their headcanon shipping diagram doesn't end up reflecting reality, etc. seems to be pretty heavily exploited in marketing as well.

i don't think it has anything to do with millennial generation or contemporary cultural attitude of western liberals or w/e. it is a pretty universal thing, even observable in pre-modern societies even. whenever a social revolution falters you can see opponents of status quo shatter into million pieces and start squabbling with each other. the advantage of the right is that they already possess institutions they want and they also have the necessary power base to consolidate their own ranks and form a united front to protect those institutions, when necessary.

ultimately i think, it has something to do with a lack of political power. notice that, in western politics, the leftist "movement" that is most obsessed with Purity & Sin is also it's most impotent one: the tumblr bloggers.
i think you're both right, that any defeated ideology will turn on itself and squabble (I think this was true of the right wing in the 60s-70s), but that a unique aspect of neo-liberal capitalism is the production of anti-capitalist politics for marketing (obviously which are impotent) like apple, disney, starbucks, whole foods, etc and that identity politics are simply what is allowed within a liberal-democratic framework.
I don't think it's fine and proper to just describe this as a "defeated ideology" vs. "ftw ideology", I think it's particular to post-marxist leftist politics being particularly 'unpractical' from a first worlder's perspective and thus turning into a pissing contest.

the following might be obtuse yet:
Leftism - Requires Visible and proximate violence for the purpose of unseen moral gains which will mostly benefit *the other*,

Rightism - Requires invisible, distant violence, for the purpose of highly visible material gains which benefit you and others like you.

one is "easy" and one is "hard".
I think that's more or less true. Bringing highly visible violence to the door step of the first world, therefor, is the ultimate goal of any leftist.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

I think that's more or less true. Bringing highly visible violence to the door step of the first world, therefor, is the ultimate goal of any leftist.

not true, but close. the ultimate goal of any leftist is to swallow buckets of cum.

the problem with the right and the left is that they are both too inclusive. can't have good politics when you let every man and his dog have a say

Lykourgos posted:

the problem with the right and the left is that they are both too inclusive. can't have good politics when you let every man and his dog have a say

Is this from lucretius

babyfinland posted:

Lykourgos posted:

Is this from lucretius

no it's all me, but i bet every ancient had a thousand quotes about how bad commoners suck at politics.

Lykourgos posted:

babyfinland posted:

Lykourgos posted:

Is this from lucretius

no it's all me, but i bet every ancient had a thousand quotes about how bad commoners suck at politics.

then i shall not pay your claims any heed. good day.

Until you can provide proof that you are not of the common sort, Lykourgos, we can not accept your assertions as in any way meaningful.
He's clearly uncommon.
ya and im fukn rare/foil, b1tch

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

Until you can provide proof that you are not of the common sort, Lykourgos, we can not accept your assertions as in any way meaningful.

It doesn't matter whether I'm common or noble, the statement is true regardless. Nobody is saying that the lower classes can't form meaningful sentences or make truthful claims.

If you're just saying that you're going to avoid discussing it with me because you're not sure if it will be time well spent, then fear not. I am obviously noble, although if you don't inherently recognise that, as one gentleman encountering another, then perhaps you are the one who is not noble...

tpaine posted:

Nascar is NOT a sport for predominantly inbred males. I think if you researched any major driver, from Dick Trickle to Mark Martin to Dale Jr., you'll find a family history rich with genetic robustness and variation. Why I dare you to find even a second cousin marriage among the last decade of Daytona 500 winners' family histories. So your comment, that Nascar is a sport for predominantly inbred males, is I think pretty inaccurate. Thanks!

Nascar went from sport for the sons of dealership kingpins to the sons of hardware store empire guys and marketable lesbians who look hetero. it also used to be amazing and fun, like an big version of that finnish forest racing with cheap new production cars tuned up in an a very garage genius sort of way. and now its just a terrible thing, like CART with really heavy cars that don't use modern technology

Lykourgos posted:

It doesn't matter whether I'm common or noble, the statement is true regardless. Nobody is saying that the lower classes can't form meaningful sentences or make truthful claims.

If you're just saying that you're going to avoid discussing it with me because you're not sure if it will be time well spent, then fear not. I am obviously noble, although if you don't inherently recognise that, as one gentleman encountering another, then perhaps you are the one who is not noble...

I don't get kicked out of bars for being an annoying drunk.. that strikes me as something which is confined to the experience of the common sort...

Myfanwy posted:

finnish forest racing

rally?

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

I don't get kicked out of bars for being an annoying drunk.. that strikes me as something which is confined to the experience of the common sort...

alcohol the great equaliser

trust me though it's just a matter of time before someone recognises my innate nobility and grants me a fiefdom somewhere. just a matter of time. then you can all be my vassals.

edit: dang

shennong posted:

Myfanwy posted:

finnish forest racing

rally?

Noo they race on little dirt/snow tracks with 500 dollar cars in the forest, and anyone can buy your car at any time for 500 dollars, so that if you work on your car and put a lot of money into it someone can just take it. So it encourages the development of driving skills in tons of people and that's why there are so many good finnish racecar drivers. And nascar derived from a cheap car racing tradition but became a terrible corporate monolith and my dad is still very upset about it

Myfanwy posted:

shennong posted:

Myfanwy posted:

finnish forest racing

rally?

Noo they race on little dirt/snow tracks with 500 dollar cars in the forest, and anyone can buy your car at any time for 500 dollars, so that if you work on your car and put a lot of money into it someone can just take it. So it encourages the development of driving skills in tons of people and that's why there are so many good finnish racecar drivers. And nascar derived from a cheap car racing tradition but became a terrible corporate monolith and my dad is still very upset about it

finns call it rally

"The wonderful dexterity of Hannu Mikkolla/Makes me wanna shake hands with the whole of Finland" - Architecture And Morality, Ted And Alice, Half Man Half Biscuit, 1985
“Totalitarianism is not only hell, but all the dream of paradise-- the age-old dream of a world where everybody would live in harmony, united by a single common will and faith, without secrets from one another. Andre Breton, too, dreamed of this paradise when he talked about the glass house in which he longed to live. If totalitarianism did not exploit these archetypes, which are deep inside us all and rooted deep in all religions, it could never attract so many people, especially during the early phases of its existence. Once the dream of paradise starts to turn into reality, however, here and there people begin to crop up who stand in its way. and so the rulers of paradise must build a little gulag on the side of Eden. In the course of time this gulag grows ever bigger and more perfect, while the adjoining paradise gets even smaller and poorer.”

babyfinland posted:

Myfanwy posted:

shennong posted:

Myfanwy posted:

finnish forest racing

rally?

finns call it rally

but there is a specific word that differentiates it from real rally racing, someone who reads enough books by learned men would know this is important

oh you done did it now "real rally racing"

gloves off motherfucker

Myfanwy posted:

shennong posted:

Myfanwy posted:

finnish forest racing

rally?

lol that sounds pretty amazing

and that word is

shennong posted:

Myfanwy posted:

shennong posted:

Myfanwy posted:

finnish forest racing

rally?

lol that sounds pretty amazing

omg is the entire point of those videos that the guy doesn't pronounce them properly ahahahaha holy shit i had no idea
wait what