what kind of worthless idiot doesnt include thomas carlyle amongst scottish achievements

MadMedico posted:

VanguardYouAndDie posted:

Having Scottish genes is awesome. I can literally eat anything, rain and cold don't bother me, enraging until I have the strength to throw tree trunks around is useful, beating up English people is the shit, and I get to do the whole "people in my in-group did a thing so I claim credit for it" thing with the likes of Hume(god sux), MacLeod (insulin), Fleming (Penicillin), electric clocks, raincoats (big deal there), flushing toilets, modern roads, tires, bikes, Buicks, and for that matter ghillie suits, "Soap" McTavish, and Gordon Ramsay.

On the other hand... the Scotch Irish

Yeah the borders-scots sub race of assholes who ran around ireland for cromwell then came to the USA to be non-white white people suck. Everyone has runts.

babyfinland posted:

what kind of worthless idiot doesnt include thomas carlyle amongst scottish achievements

Because in speaking of ACHIEVEMENTS I'd rather not mention ECONOMICS.

It's cool to be white & have money. Just Kev's opinion.
<3 Adam Smith <3

babyfinland posted:

ah yes, the famous "freaking out at female pubic hair" genes

e: nm, wrong victorian essayist, fuck

Having Scottish genes is awesome. I can literally eat anything, rain and cold don't bother me, enraging until I have the strength to throw tree trunks around is useful, beating up English people is the shit, and I get to do the whole "people in my in-group did a thing so I claim credit for it" thing with the likes of Hume(god sux), MacLeod (insulin), Fleming (Penicillin), electric clocks, raincoats (big deal there), flushing toilets, modern roads, tires, bikes, Buicks, and for that matter ghillie suits, "Soap" McTavish, and Gordon Ramsay.

death to protestant lowlanders and campbells

shennong do you hang out in #SAL
i don't hang out
wats #SAL
the irc channel for the SAL board on SA.

It's p fun; we all gang up on sirbruce (who is an actual economist lol) every now and then. We also have a historian who is getting her Master's in the prison thread shit and a PhD in the child prison thread shit. We also have a few hipsters and a depressed jewish engineer. It's p much "left" and actual left wing academic central.

Then there's helopticor but he's some kind of martian.

babyfinland posted:

what on earth

babyfinland posted:

downplaying the importance of economics? i thought you all had disgusting marx-boners.

Jerthebear posted:

babyfinland posted:

downplaying the importance of economics? i thought you all had disgusting marx-boners.

(Neo)classical economics is more of a justification of existing class structures and being shitty than something useful and predictive like Marx's work I'm not that educated about older economics works that might actually be useful or started poking holes in that old shit, to be honest, though. If that's the case then I apologize.

What I really mean is fuck bougie economics.

(Neo)classical economics is more of a justification of existing class structures and being shitty than something useful and predictive like Marx's work I'm not that educated about older economics works that might actually be useful or started poking holes in that old shit, to be honest, though. If that's the case then I apologize.

What I really mean is fuck bougie economics.

yeah sounds like you know a lot about economics

welp not gonna respond to that post because it was retarded.
you're saying that only Marxian economic thought has any value to it? like wut.

Jerthebear posted:

Jerthebear posted:

LOL. you're right actually. Karl Marx and John Maynard Keynes are the only two economists in recorded history. Me defending an entire social science is exactly the same as shouting my love for Keynesianism from the mountain tops.

THANKS FOR POSTING HERE JER THE BEAR THE RHIZZONE HAS REALLY BEEN LACKING SOMEONE TO BE THE VOICE OF COMMON SENSE LATELY
HEY GUYS LET'S TOTALLY CUT MORE TAXES AND REGULATIONS AND PARETO-OPTIMIZE BY ALLOCATING MORE RESOURCES TO THE RICH.

You might think that's sarcasm but that's literally what mainstream economics is seeking to do.
lol mr. occupy wall street over here... "TEH EVIL BANKARS!!!1!!one!" lol, whatever alex jones. im sure thats what aaaalll economists want to do...
requesting obamacare vs vanguardyouanddie cage match
The academics who don't bother to stand up and make a point about junk economics are pretty much just enablers. Many are hired by the rich to help them do their dirty work.

I mean fuck, we have Biologists and Physicists raising hell about evolution in the former case and creationism in both cases, but I don't see economists talking about how IS/LM was never meant to be more than a teaching tool, or the litany of other problems, for instance.

OTOH we have Economists suffering Austrians. That's a bit like Dawkins welcoming Lysenkoists or something.

So yeah I'm not exactly eager to delve into bullshitonomics and try to get something useful out of all the normative bullshit. I guess econometrics might be fun, but I dunno.
what are you stupid? yes clearly, economics is conservative by nature. mainstream economics is concerned with allowing free markets to thrive unfettered. and its not about allocating resources anywhere, until keynes got into the mix. any government spending is inherently redistributing wealth from one to group to another. an intelligent critic of capitalism doesn't think that a free-enterprise system intends to create such wealth inequality.

babyfinland posted:

requesting obamacare vs vanguardyouanddie cage match

wait, what?

So what you're saying is that you don't understand basic economics and don't want to learn anything about it, but will condemn people who dedicate their lives to studying it based on some sort of thing ideological thing you heard somewhere on a topic you admittedly aren't willing to look into? That doesn't sound reactionary at all!

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

So what you're saying is that you don't understand basic economics and don't want to learn anything about it, but will condemn people who dedicate their lives to studying it based on some sort of thing ideological thing you heard somewhere on a topic you admittedly aren't willing to look into? That doesn't sound reactionary at all!

Marxists

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

I understood the basics when I spent more time after class in my professor's office than in class and she basically said "Just wait until you go to grad school if you want to study econ since I had to unlearn all this when I went to grad school myself."

I'm quite willing to look into something with substance, but suffering indoctrination just to unlearn anything that seeped in seems like a bit of a waste of time doesn't it?

Learning anything is fundamentally pointless

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

I understood the basics when I spent more time after class in my professor's office than in class and she basically said "Just wait until you go to grad school if you want to study econ since I had to unlearn all this when I went to grad school myself."

I'm quite willing to look into something with substance, but suffering indoctrination just to unlearn anything that seeped in seems like a bit of a waste of time doesn't it?

totes man. its not worth learning anything that's tainted by the bourg. its all bullshit bro.

'suffering indoctrination?" are you saying you're unable to read something and critically analyze it? like if you read anything that disagrees with whatever you arbitrarily decided your ideology is you are going to get indoctrinated? seems like an excuse to avoid actually having to think about important issues...

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

'suffering indoctrination?" are you saying you're unable to read something and critically analyze it? like if you read anything that disagrees with whatever you arbitrarily decided your ideology is you are going to get indoctrinated? seems like an excuse to avoid actually having to think about important issues...

Well see, I did that, then I realized it was bullshit, and I have more to do than be an autodidact about economics to marxpost on the internet.

Now if I go get a master's in the subject that's different but right now.... not so much.

btw what do you even know about Austrian economics other than that your communist professor told you milty friedman was a douchebag.

Well see, I did that, then I realized it was bullshit, and I have more to do than be an autodidact about economics to marxpost on the internet.

Now if I go get a master's in the subject that's different but right now.... not so much.

Agreed. Please stop posting about anything until you have a master's in it. TIA.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

anal

When I read that Austrian economics was going on a tangent about non linear time I gave upon learning more than what the typical layperson gets by doing some reading.

Marx's LTV, use vs exchange value, and Marx's answer to capital crises seemed a lot more explanatory and useful than "bluh blah, deregulate, cheaper labor, cut taxes, blarughhh"

When I read that Austrian economics was going on a tangent about non linear time I gave upon learning more than what the typical layperson gets by doing some reading.

Marx's LTV, use vs exchange value, and Marx's answer to capital crises seemed a lot more explanatory and useful than "bluh blah, deregulate, cheaper labor, cut taxes, blarughhh"

marx marx class and balls. poop fart. bluargh revolution

babyfinland posted:

marx marx class and balls. poop fart. bluargh revolution

I mean unless you want to defend the status quo because you want to join the upper classes, which is totally logical and rational and in your best interest as a homo economicus.

IOW you're a homo economist