i'm reading the crying of lot 49 currently i guess.
that and douglas valentine's the phoenix program.

c_man posted:

glad its not just me. ill probably come back to GR at some point but im taking a pynchon break for a while

GR is definitely worth a read. of his later stuff i've only read inherent vice, which was hilarious and enjoyable but not nearly as substantial.

incidentally i just finished/highly skimmed the dream of the great american novel by lawrence buell, which sort-of explores the GAN concept and its cultural persistence, but does so in a way that ends up being a really interesting and detailed survey of american lit. his writing style is really lucid and his criticism of particular novels is original and interesting. he spends an entire chapter on dos passos' USA, and he also does a cross-analysis of it with moby dick and GR which owns.

HenryKrinkle posted:

i'm reading the crying of lot 49 currently i guess.

it's fun

i really enjoyed crying of lot 49. it feels like it was written by a totally different person from mason & dixon (not that i didnt enjoy it, just had a very different tone, style, etc)
i'm two hours into an audiobook version of picketty's capital in the twenty-first century and so far so good
[account deactivated]

camera_obscura posted:

i'm two hours into an audiobook version of picketty's capital in the twenty-first century and so far so good

i was going to link you to the two previous piketty threads so you could read the rich discussion but they're both just 3 pages of people posting "lol"

Just got Anwar Shaikh's "Capitalism: Competition, Conflict, Crises" from the library. It's fucking huge and most of is going to go over my head but I'm going to do my best nonetheless
We are all hoping that it will collide directly with your head

Petrol posted:

Just got Anwar Shaikh's "Capitalism: Competition, Conflict, Crises" from the library. It's fucking huge and most of is going to go over my head but I'm going to do my best nonetheless

I've been watching the youtube series of lectures but I'm sure the book is much better. Please do update us what you think.

I've been reading Fredric Jameson's Brecht and Method. It's good like everything he writes. I have more substantial thoughts but I'll save them for an effort post.

Petrol posted:

i bought that like a week ago. seems good from what i have read from the introduction, haven't got around reading it more yet as i have mao to read.

camera_obscura posted:

my insomnia's pretty bad as well. realtalk how does it handle the charts

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Can somebody who knows about science and ecology tell me about james lovelock, lynn margulis and the "gaia theory," and if they are good or not. Thank you humbly in advance
cars said a while ago that lynn marguilis cribbed from some USSR guy but i dont remember exactly what or who that was about
the notion of stability @ the heart of gaia theory has been shown over and over again to be little more than wishful thinking, but there's something to be said for the general idea of the earth as a single complex system. It's just not one of stability or equilibrium; and the broader association of ~Nature~ with such ideas has been a lot more harmful for our ecological understanding than helpful which is a little ironic given that ecology as such emerged from that sort of understanding

it gives a fairly useful ideological toolbox for understanding the world as a whole but is in dire need of corrective measures to avoid distorting reality to fit into the narrow idea of the world-system at its core. most glaringly it's rather painfully undialectical, and I don't know of any advancements towards a more realistic understanding on the same scope as the original theory, but I reckon good thorough dialectical evolutionary theory has a great deal to contribute to such a projec.t.
[account deactivated]
Roseweird.... Missed you.....
[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

camera_obscura posted:

my insomnia's pretty bad as well. realtalk how does it handle the charts

It comes with a pdf and refers to that periodically. In no way do I look at them.

c_man posted:

cars said a while ago that lynn marguilis cribbed from some USSR guy but i dont remember exactly what or who that was about

i dont either, what was the topic specifically, endosymbiosis?

no idea! maybe it wasnt even you, maybe it was someone else, idk
[account deactivated]

c_man posted:

no idea! maybe it wasnt even you, maybe it was someone else, idk

margulis at least seems to owe a lot to vladimir vernadsky and boris mikhaylov kozo-polyansky which is partially what piqued my interest

thank you roseweird from what little i've read i agree that portraying someone who seems deeply cynical regarding the continued existence of life on earth as clinging to some mystical notion of a tendency toward stability is weird
i'm reading the newish english translation of althusser's on the reproduction of capital. it's great. it's really helping me understand a lot of the more abstract concepts of economic theory in capital in a concrete way and as a cohesive whole that makes a lot of sense and in a way david harvey never quite did (although he did help). althusser is straight fire and damn i should have sat down and seriously read him a lot sooner.
Fuck Althusser read George Iackson
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

i'm reading the newish english translation of althusser's on the reproduction of capital.

i got a lot out of what i read from that too. its a pretty interesting book but recently ive started getting interested in what some of the british historical materialists were writing against althusser, which im finding myself pretty sympathetic to. i appreciate what the 'thusser has to say on social theory etc but i feel like the insights from it would be much more potent if synthesized with more concrete historical analysis, or at least i hope so because thats my plan.

I'm reading the Location of Culture by Homi Bhabha. Distinctly non marxist, ofc, but nevertheless I think Bhabha has some interesting insights on subjectification.
[account deactivated]
LF was closed on SA five years ago today.
Never forget
[account deactivated]
i've been reading at swim-two-birds and a few memorabilia price guides. A friend of mine stumbled upon an autographed photo of the bolsheviks while helping his parents move.

goon riddance
[account deactivated]