Haha, are you fucking kidding me?? Like I could kill another human being, even for revolution or self defense. Imagine standing there, legs trembling with faltering resolve, with a gun pointed noncommittally at somebody's face. "Hey, you'd better not move!" I'd lamely threaten. "I am being very convincingly intimidating here, and I have this very serious and mega deadly gun that I am so totally prepared to shoot you with! I am a tough and murderous mother snooker, pal!" Whether I'm being drafted for the Army or the People's Army or LRA or Goonfleet, I'm running, and if I can't run, I'm killing myself as soon as they put a gun in my hands. Running away and hiding is without exception a better strategy than dying gloriously and becoming a really heroic and special corpse.

Is anybody here different from me? Do we have any armchair generals or incipient Rambos in the audience this evening?

Wait, wait. Let me get my Theoretical Buck-Passing Bingo Card out. I'm expecting someone to call out "(other) people will get fed up and revolt naturally", and that's my fourth corner!
PUNK ASS NIGGA ALERT
Though it may be the ass of a punk, this skittish ass of mine will be around long enough to sag, wrinkle, and prolapse.
It was narrated from Ibn Abbas (radi Allahu anhu) that the Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Shall I not tell you of the best of people in status?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He said: "A man who rides his horse in the cause of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, until he dies or is killed. Shall I not tell you of the one who comes after him (in status)?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He said: "A man who withdraws to a mountain pass and establishes Salah, and pays Zakah, and keeps away from the evil of people."
i have a feeling it'd pretty much be like the ira dude executing the traitor in the wind shakes the barley
I'd be a few thousand miles away, living in the first world. OP.
I refuse to participate in revolution unless ranged combat is banned

I just can't bear the thought of being hit by an arrow or something and not having enough forewarning to at least try and dodge it. If someone has a gun and they're sniping out of a window or something then that's just not acceptable.
one time not too long ago i was non-seriously flirting with the idea of joining some student leftist group on campus. i was slouching in some chair at an initiation session when the topic of demonstrations and confrontations resulting from said demonstrations came up. i asked some question about what the group would do in the event of a confrontation. the guy in charge of initiation was like "well of course we'll defend ourselves with violence if we need to!" and i'm just in my chair looking at his pasty white doughnut of an excuse for a body thinking to myself lmao you can't be serious bro
i wonder what proportion of those who die in small arms exchanges these days ever see their assailants, i doubt its very high

innsmouthful posted:

one time not too long ago i was non-seriously flirting with the idea of joining some student leftist group on campus. i was slouching in some chair at an initiation session when the topic of demonstrations and confrontations resulting from said demonstrations came up. i asked some question about what the group would do in the event of a confrontation. the guy in charge of initiation was like "well of course we'll defend ourselves with violence if we need to!" and i'm just in my chair looking at his pasty white doughnut of an excuse for a body thinking to myself lmao you can't be serious bro

Polyeuctus, the Sphettian, once on a hot day was urging war with Philip, and being a corpulent man, and out of breath and in a great heat with speaking, took numerous draughts of water as he went on. "Here, indeed," said Phocion, "is a fit man to lead us into a war! What think you he will do when he is carrying his corselet and his shield to meet the enemy, if even here, delivering a prepared speech to you, has almost killed him with exhaustion?"

(Plutarch's Life of Phocion)

Edit:

Aristogiton, a common accuser, was a terrible man of war within the assembly, always inflaming the people to battle, but when the muster-roll came to be produced, he appeared limping on a crutch, with a bandage on his leg; Phocion descried him afar off, coming in, and cried out to the clerk, "Put down Aristogiton, too, as lame and worthless."

Phociowned

Edited by Lykourgos ()

will there be starbucks during the revolution

Jerthebear posted:

drinking coffee is counter-revolutionary and starbucks makes shit tea so the answer is no

Jerthebear posted:

I don't really think we have time for a handjob, Jer

The fact is that the gap between state-owned means of violence and what people can muster by themselves—from beer bottles to Molotov cocktails and guns—has always been so enormous that technical improvements make hardly any difference. Textbook instructions on "how to make a revolution" in a step-by-step progression from dissent to conspiracy, from resistance to armed uprising, are all based on the mistaken notion that revolutions are "made." In a contest of violence against violence the superiority of the government has always been absolute; but this superiority lasts only as long as the power structure of the government is intact—that is, as long as commands are obeyed and the army or police forces are prepared to use their weapons. When this is no longer the case, the situation changes abruptly. Not only is the rebellion not put down, but the arms themselves change hands—sometimes, as in the Hungarian revolution, within a few hours.
lol at drinking coffee. oh i can't get my sleep cycle under control so i'm going to self-medicate with some disgusting swill.
lol at doing things. hehe good luck with those things you're doing there thing doers. im makin another quality rhizzone post
There is no such thing as a peaceful insurrection. Weapons are necessary: it’s a question of doing everything possible to make using them unnecessary. An insurrection is more about which is taking up arms and maintaining an “armed presence” than it is about armed struggle. We need to distinguish clearly between being armed and the use of arms. Weapons are a constant in revolutionary situations, but their use is infrequent and rarely decisive at key turning points: August 10th 1792, March 18th 1871, October 1917. When power is in the gutter, it’s enough to walk over it.

Because of the distance that separates us from them, weapons have taken on a kind of double character of fascination and disgust that can be overcome only by handling them. An authentic pacifism cannot mean refusing weapons, but only refusing to use them. Pacifism without being able to fire a shot is nothing but the theoretical formulation of impotence. Such a priori pacifism is a kind of preventive disarmament, a pure police operation. In reality, the question of pacifism is serious only for those who have the ability to open fire. In this case, pacifism becomes a sign of power, since it’s only in an extreme position of strength that we are freed from the need to fire.

Edited by Lessons ()

Lessons posted:

Deserting classical politics means facing up to war, which is taking up arms and maintaining an “armed presence” than it is about armed struggle. We need to distinguish clearly between being armed and the use of arms. Weapons are a constant in revolutionary situations, but their use is infrequent and rarely decisive at key turning points: August 10th 1792, March 18th 1871, October 1917. When power is in the gutter, it’s enough to walk over it.

Because of the distance that separates us from them, weapons have taken on a kind of double character of fascination and disgust that can be overcome only by handling them. An authentic pacifism cannot mean refusing weapons, but only refusing to use them. Pacifism without being able to fire a shot is nothing but the theoretical formulation of impotence. Such a priori pacifism is a kind of preventive disarmament, a pure police operation. In reality, the question of pacifism is serious only for those who have the ability to open fire. In this case, pacifism becomes a sign of power, since it’s only in an extreme position of strength that we are freed from the need to fire.

so how often do you spend time training with your militia

none of those revolutions came about because left wing militias had been training for them for years. like anticipating financial crisis or military defeat seems to be a better barometer. right. RIGHT
thats a quote from "Teh Cumming Insurrection" by teh invisible children committee
don't ignoranceshame me you fucker

littlegreenpills posted:

i was responding to shennong's sneery sneer

Lessons posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

i was responding to shennong's sneery sneer

i wasn't sneering so much as pointing out that being a credible threat means more than possessing and knowing how to operate a firearm

shennong posted:

i wasn't sneering so much as pointing out that being a credible threat means more than possessing and knowing how to operate a firearm

the point of that passage, (and i think it's a correct one), is that we shouldn't aim to directly challenge the military power of the state, either through a sort of revolutionary coup d'etat or through insurgency. there's no chance to succeed through force of arms, but fortunately arms are a secondary concern in revolutionary situations, (as opposed to civil wars or insurgencies).

Lessons posted:

shennong posted:

the point of that passage, (and i think it's a correct one), is that we shouldn't aim to directly challenge the military power of the state, either through a sort of revolutionary coup d'etat or through insurgency. there's no chance to succeed through force of arms, but fortunately arms are a secondary concern in revolutionary situations, (as opposed to civil wars or insurgencies).

i agree with the general thrust of it, but it seems naive to suggest that you can be in a position of strength merely by establishing an "armed presence"

the coming insurrection was a big hit among the mormon liberation theologists around here.
[account deactivated]

shennong posted:

i agree with the general thrust of it, but it seems naive to suggest that you can be in a position of strength merely by establishing an "armed presence"

no doubt. they aren't saying "armed presence" is force in itself, but rather that it's the military supplement to the rise of popular power and corresponding decline in state power. the ideal revolutionary situation is one where the state can control neither its subjects, its finances nor its troops, and in that situation full-on insurgency is neither necessary nor useful.

Edited by Lessons ()

Lessons posted:

shennong posted:

no doubt. they aren't saying "armed presence" is force in itself, but rather that it's the military supplement to the rise of popular power and corresponding decline in state power. the ideal revolutionary situation is one where the state cannot control neither its subjects, its finances nor its troops, and in that situation full-on insurgency is neither necessary nor useful.

is that the general thesis of the book? i havent read it

[account deactivated]

Lessons posted:

shennong posted:

no doubt. they aren't saying "armed presence" is force in itself, but rather that it's the military supplement to the rise of popular power and corresponding decline in state power. the ideal revolutionary situation is one where the state cannot control neither its subjects, its finances nor its troops, and in that situation full-on insurgency is neither necessary nor useful.

cool cool but when do we start killing our parents, bosses and teachers

littlegreenpills posted:

lol at doing things. hehe good luck with those things you're doing there thing doers. im makin another quality rhizzone post

shennong posted:

is that the general thesis of the book? i havent read it

nah, the book's trying to be a sort of modern-day communist manifesto, and doesn't really succeed, but it has a few good sections

Two centuries of capitalism and market nihilism have brought us to the most extreme alienations – from our selves, from others, from worlds. The fiction of the individual has decomposed at the same speed that it was becoming real. Children of the metropolis, we offer this wager: that it’s in the most profound deprivation of existence, perpetually stifled, perpetually conjured away, that the possibility of communism resides.

When all is said and done, it’s with an entire anthropology that we are at war. With the very idea of man.

Communism then, as presupposition and as experiment. Sharing of a sensibility and elaboration of sharing. The uncovering of what is common and the building of a force. Communism as the matrix of a meticulous, audacious assault on domination. As a call and as a name for all worlds resisting imperial pacification, all solidarities irreducible to the reign of commodities, all friendships assuming the necessities of war. Communism. We know it’s a term to be used with caution. Not because, in the great parade of words, it may no longer be very fashionable. But because our worst enemies have used it, and continue to do so. We insist. Certain words are like battlegrounds: their meaning, revolutionary or reactionary, is a victory, to be torn from the jaws of struggle.
wow this thread is full of dumb motherfuckers.

edit: meant to write 'dumb motherfucker' (thug lessons). a whole lot of dumb mofucka
hello puke person.
The path to revolution does not pass through the ballot box but through the organization of counter-power outside and in opposition to the reactionary state-it is the path of organization of neighborhood assemblies and worker’s councils, popular militias and a red army-and most importantly a combatant communist party functioning as a war machine not a vote gathering device.

These are the preconditions of a real protracted peoples war-the conscious organization and coalescence of proletarian and popular violence within the framework of a single strategy for the seizure of power.

This runs counter to the rightist christening of any and all forms of popular resistance as such-which in fact serves to liquidate the strategy of ppw entirely.

Today the only communist party worthy of the name is a party which prepares and wages peoples war-which constructs the new power while destroying the old power.

Cycloneboy posted:

lol at drinking coffee. oh i can't get my sleep cycle under control so i'm going to self-medicate with some disgusting swill.

i drink coffee and it has nothing to do with my sleep cycle... you literally just came up with a dumb opinion about coffee because you dont have a sophisticated enough palette to appreciate its taste LOL

[account deactivated]
i think i would just call the police or something probably.