tpaine posted:

Jerthebear posted:

usually when I'm walking down the street and people start complimenting me on my sexual attractiveness I'm flattered. but alas, the world doesn't work that way for racist, feminist homophobes.

generally when people say "MOVE YER ASS" they're asking you to get out of the way because they're annoyed, not asking you to dance because they like you. Just fyi

how can you so casually shatter my carefully constructed self-deception?

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

Goethestein posted:

by that logic people would be perfectly defensible when they harass muslims walking down te street in a non muslim area

Um no because the non-muslim culture is dominant. These persecuted immigrants have established de facto sovereignty over their residential areas and by challenging white, atheistic hegemony (like the guys in these videos) they are expressing their pride and their refusal to accept provocation by the majority.

sounds like a defense of israel 2 me

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

[account deactivated]
skoyscrapahs

discipline posted:

intersectionality, unlike what most freaks on the internet will tell you, is actually very helpful to understanding these sorts of situations:

a french person has national privilege over an algerian person
a white person has race privilege over a person of color
a rich person has class privilege over a poor person
a man has sex and usually gender privilege over a woman

Sofie Peeters is Belgian/French, the catcalling immigrants are North African/Maghreb/Algerian: 1 point Immigrants
Sofie Peeters is white, the immigrants are people of color: 1 point Immigrants
Sofie Peeters is rich and has supreme class privilege over the poor, African Muslim immigrants: 1 point Immigrants
Sofie Peeters is female. The immigrants are male: 5000 points Sofie Peeters. Flawless Victory

tpaine posted:

[account deactivated]
the documentary itself wasn't that bad, she just filmed people in a certain area of brussels. the filmmaker herself didn't have racist motives, she was just really naive about the reception to her film. when the documentary was shown on the public news, it took about five seconds for the discussion to turn to how it's all the fault of muslim immigrants and islam, there should be more cops on the street fining these people, bla bla. belgium, and especially flanders, is incredibly, incredibly racist. afaik we have the largest difference in wages between belgians and 1st/2nd generation immigrants of the entire EU. people get really angry when you point out their blatant racism, though.

there was a news broadcast a couple days ago where the police union was threatening a strike if there wouldn't be a "strong response" after some youths in brussels threw some rocks and broke the window of a patrol car. it was hilarious. the guy was literally saying "we have to strike back now, they're testing us, this is organised, if we don't fight back now they'll soon control the whole city", etc. the police in brussels mostly consists of fresh, white recruits from outside of brussels coming there for their training so they learn how to fear and harass the mostly poor, mostly immigrant population. its p. fucked up.
maybe The Unintended Consequences of Incidental Racial Bias in Documentary Filmmaking should be one of the classes taught down there at Fabrique Nationale d'Film School