audrey...

getfiscal posted:

that song rules

i heard it again recently and it annoyed me so bad, the relationship he's describing sounds so dull, fleeting and not worthy of a song.

The song is about how you can find common ground with anyone, so you shouldn't claim otherwise as an excuse for not caring about someone.

kinch posted:

Impper posted:

dfw? i would prefer not to. gibs me some beckett

what if gbs loved beckett

well they dont and i dont know that they love dfw either

bf loves dfw and is gbs
gbs, much like me, doesn't give a shit about "literature" that isn't easily encapsulated in the bounds of a fantastic genre
altho infinite jest sounds SF as fuck according to the wiki summary. also: a rip off of a monty python joke. so, yeah, pretty gbs
I'm pretty sure just about nobody here reads any of the things they have very strong opinions on, one way or the other
The DFW hate is the other edge to the comical Zizek worship
i just hold everything in disdain according to it's cultural context and sometimes change my opinion if i actually read it
"books are for pooftas" - Insane War Clown, Sept 6th 2012
who still knows how to read, these days,

Groulxsmith posted:

what is weird about hating shitty authors and liking good authors?

theres maybe 150 to 200 really good possibly genius pages in infinite jest but the rest of it probably shouldve just been burned

babyfinland posted:

elliott smith was also really good? lol why do people feel so compelled to hate everything about the 90s

jungle is good, and the fresh prince of bel air, and i'm fuckin awesome

bea and dfw are both bad. and i know this despite having read one (1) and none (0) of their books (respectively)
i follow bea on twitter but only because a friend of mine in america told me he was good at twitter, which he isnt, not really
how the hell is bea arthur tweeting from the grave?

discipline posted:

the defining event of the 90s was the O.P.P.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

also DFW, like ayn rand, is definitely An American Thing, in that most people in the more civilized parts of the West have never heard of it and don't relate to it's myopic concerns

most peple in America have never heard of it either

the most important band of the 90s was limp bizkit, no joke

it was them who paved the way for the crass and selfish nihilism that has become the defining feature of our culture
David foster Wallace SUCKS SO BAD but so does Bret Easton Ellis, so it's like, stay in your lane man. The only good line you ever wrote was the thing about going onto the beach and scooping up sand fleas then eating them raw with sand in american psycho
bad author slams different bad author cool
in other news creed and puddle of mudd don't really get along so much
i dont like to read either dfw or beckett
i want to know how mark z danielewski feels about dfw before i formulate my opinion

Groulxsmith posted:

do people actually worship zizek. i thought most of the LF talk about him was just mocking him for daring to speak english with an accent

i worship zizek bc he's self-evidently an omnipotent deity, p fucked up of him to construct the universe such that all things will turn to dust and die tho

reggaelolita posted:

in other news creed and puddle of mudd don't really get along so much

what iz ur problem with creed or puddle of mudd

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

people have been telling me to read Beckett but i hated waiting for godot so much in school i don't know if i can get past that

Groulxsmith posted:

do people actually worship zizek. i thought most of the LF talk about him was just mocking him for daring to speak english with an accent

lol of course they do. zizek represents the sublimated gbs-ideal of having a hot girlfriend and people caring about your stupid pop culture theories even though youre ugl,y gross, and clearly mentally ill

beckett is good at what he does but his work is very depressing

....yeah ?

people have been telling me to read Beckett but i hated waiting for godot so much in school i don't know if i can get past that

see endgame

molloy might be the best novel ive read in my life. pretty clearly surpasses celine in its brilliant moments, and is on average probably better than... anything

itz not depresing what are you talkin about

dave eggers made a pirate store

beckett is a writer of the body, and of existence, and persistence. he is also a pure genius and funny beyond imagination, i.e. funny in a way i don't think anybody else really is or ever has been.

Superabound posted:

Groulxsmith posted:

lol of course they do. zizek represents the sublimated gbs-ideal of having a hot girlfriend and people caring about your stupid pop culture theories even though youre ugl,y gross, and clearly mentally ill

this is dumb as hell

I enjoy the works of David foster Wallace, John Christy and Slavok Zizek what now