lol look at the picture of the nigga that wrote the dfw book

yah ima listen to this guy

Bret Easton Ellis on John "Christy" Christy: "the most tedious, overrated, tortured, pretentious writer of my generation - but I can't stop reading"

gyrofry posted:

I enjoy the works of David foster Wallace, John Christy and Slavok Zizek what now

wow you sure love white navel gazing

OK here's a question for the rhizzone to sink it's teeth into

Has a Great book ever been written by a woman?
writing is inherently pretentious
iwc you would like lydie salvayre

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

gyrofry posted:

I enjoy the works of David foster Wallace, John Christy and Slavok Zizek what now

wow you sure love white navel gazing

harsh but fair

Wuthering heights

Impper posted:

iwc you would like lydie salvayre

recommend me something

the first novel ever is Tale of Genji and is by a woman

atlas shrugged

Alyosha posted:

the first novel ever is Tale of Genji and is by a woman

it's a shame that japanese women have made so little progress in a millennia because of that nation's misogynistic culture

i have only read "the lecture" but its good, and also there are other books of hers that i read part of that are really good. i recently read like 4 books by women and i liked all of them but i dont remember what they are.

Joan Christy

does it have to be fiction

gyrofry posted:

i remember when impper posted excerpts from his writing next to excerpts from dfw in order to demonstrate his superiority, imppers cool but that was uhhh

babyfinland posted:

does it have to be fiction

i'd rather it not be in fact, i prefer non-fiction to fiction aka truth to lies

nonfiction does not have access to truth
i've read 2 things by DFW. One was his commencement speech he gave at some university which seemed honest and soul searching, and the other about being on a cruise liner and making fun of everyone in a bitchy caustic way which i didn't like at all

Hairry Potter.

Impper posted:

nonfiction does not have access to truth

haha yeah i know

it's just i can usually get something out of most non-fiction but bad fiction loses me pretty quickly.

i'd rather read an encyclopedia than most acclaimed novels

well yah but i guess thats why u cultivate fiction

Frankenstein lol

read bell hooks

so many joke answers leads me to the unfortunate conclusion that men are just biologically hardwired to think grand thoughts
fifty shades of grey
Clueless was written by a woman and its objectively better than every book mentioned in this thread

so many joke answers leads me to the unfortunate conclusion that men are just biologically hardwired to think grand thoughts

Everything by virginia woolf is brilliant althoug hone of her Great books "Orlando" indicates that she was trans

dorothy richardson's pointed roofs is kinda goony and only ok but it's the first true stream of consciusness story ever written

uhhhhhh zadie smith's white teeth, sucks

this thread sucks

Edited by EmanuelaBrolandi ()

DFW is not to bad. the worst experience i had was a delay due to some issues with the aux power system so we were stuck on the tarmac for like an hour.

i guess there's a bunch of fat texans, but meh. just another airport.
i was going to post ayaan hirsi ali's book as a joke but in the course of looking for the cover i found out she married niall ferguson recently. lmao

claire colebrook and judith butler are pretty huge imo

TROT_CUMLOVER posted:

i was going to post ayaan hirsi ali's book as a joke but in the course of looking for the cover i found out she married niall ferguson recently. lmao

haha jesus christ what a failationship that must be

now THAT'S one wedding you DO want to drone strike!!
can anyone recommend any flannery oconnor? i havent read her yet but this sounds like it could potentially be fantastic

She wrote ironic, subtly allegorical fiction about deceptively backward Southern characters, usually fundamentalist Protestants, who undergo transformations of character that to O'Connor's thinking brought them closer to the Catholic mind. The transformation is often accomplished through pain, violence, and ludicrous behavior in the pursuit of the holy. However grotesque the setting, she tried to portray her characters as they might be touched by divine grace. This ruled out a sentimental understanding of the stories' violence, as of her own illness. O'Connor wrote: "Grace changes us and change is painful." She also had a deeply sardonic sense of humor, often based in the disparity between her characters' limited perceptions and the awesome fate awaiting them. Another source of humor is frequently found in the attempt of well-meaning liberals to cope with the rural South on their own terms. O'Connor uses such characters' inability to come to terms with race, poverty, and fundamentalism, other than in sentimental illusions, as an example of the failure of the secular world in the twentieth century.
she's one of the greatest, just get a short story collection
i dont like the stuff ive read of him. but opinions are weak, we should fight our intellectual battles using weapons carved of wood from a nearby deciduous forest.

wlel im off to drink at a bar, cya humans.