this is probably how goldsmith spends his nights
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Harold, it's Bateman, Patrick Bateman. You're my lawyer so I think you should know: I've killed a lot of people. Some girls in the apartment uptown uh, some homeless people maybe 5 or 10 um an NYU girl I met in Central Park. I left her in a parking lot behind some donut shop. I killed Bethany, my old girlfriend, with a nail gun, and some man uh some old faggot with a dog last week. I killed another girl with a chainsaw, I had to, she almost got away and uh someone else there I can't remember maybe a model, but she's dead too. And Paul Allen. I killed Paul Allen with an axe in the face, his body is dissolving in a bathtub in Hell's Kitchen. I don't want to leave anything out here. I guess I've killed maybe 20 people, maybe 40. I have tapes of a lot of it, uh some of the girls have seen the tapes. I even, um... I ate some of their brains, and I tried to cook a little. Tonight I, uh, I just had to kill a LOT of people. And I'm not sure I'm gonna get away with it this time. I guess I'll uh, I mean, ah, I guess I'm a pretty uh, I mean I guess I'm a pretty sick guy. So, if you get back tomorrow, I may show up at Harry's Bar, so you know, keep your eyes open.

Same.

i think we get the first results at 1:30am eastern.

crossing my fingers that chavez trounces this douchebag.

then in about a month obama will do the same to mitt romney.
will u cream ur jeans if he does?
i want to see how it plays out. like if capriles loses then will he try to pull a tahrir square protest against electoral fraud since obviously the "real polls" said he'd win or whatever. and they try to pull a colour revolution on chavez.
this election is also instructive because it shows the primary opposition to stalin was trotskyist: the right will always claim to be the "true" representative of the reasonable left. trotsky is capriles.
you know we had a coloured revolution here in the united states that FREED THE SLAVES

it was called abraham lincoln
i'm looking forward to that abraham lincoln movie by spielberg. people are like oh it's not realistic. who cares clowns.
Spielberg's movie will never match this.
lol http://www.cepr.net/index.php/blogs/the-americas-blog/vza-test

Groulxsmith posted:

Strong regulation- maximum wage, European-style marginal tax rates, strong consumer protection councils given some teeth by Congress. Universal healthcare, universal enfranchisement, universal access to technology and education. Think Canada, before Harper royally fucked it all up.

Same, except I'd dial back on "universal access to technology," I'd exterminate the Mormons, and 5 years of corvee for everyone

getfiscal posted:

i'm looking forward to that abraham lincoln movie by spielberg. people are like oh it's not realistic. who cares clowns.

lincoln as the paternal figure that unites the american family

i also sorta want to see this cloud atlas movie. should be fun.

getfiscal posted:

i also sorta want to see this cloud atlas movie. should be fun.

I bet it will be an overly ambitious but still cool mess like Southland Tales

Polls have officially closed in Venezuela where President Hugo Chavez is facing the toughest race in almost 14 years in power after fresh-faced rival Henrique Capriles electrified the country's opposition.

Voting, however, is going on into Sunday evening and polling booths will stay open as long as needed to allow everyone to cast their ballots.

With polling stations closing around 6pm local time (22:30GMT), sources on both sides were predicting a narrow victory based on their monitoring of the vote, while local analysts said the ballot was looking too close to call.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

both sides were predicting a narrow victory based on their monitoring of the vote, while local analysts said the ballot was looking too close to call.

good article by ythe ADL exposing chavez's opponent capriles as a zionist

http://www.adl.org/main_Anti_Semitism_International/AntiSemitic-Article-Venezuela-021712.htm
according to argentine tv chavez has won by 5%
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
so what's the colour gonna be. blue? maybe just the venezuelan flag? :popcorn:
let the bodies hit the floor
let's fight for capriles and freedom people. hay un camino.

getfiscal posted:

so what's the colour gonna be. blue? maybe just the venezuelan flag? :popcorn:

The Venezuelan Fall

Blue October

getfiscal posted:

Blue October

Blue Monday

10% actually lol

HenryKrinkle posted:

Robert Duvall playing Stalin in a 3 hour movie? why was i not told about this

[account deactivated]
yeah 54.4% Chavez / 44.9% Capriles

hmm... big election steal by chavez... dead people voted... etc.
the election was fixed. my prayers are with the people of venezuela
nytimes has a lot of helpful notes about the election

Michael Shifter, president of the Inter-American Dialogue, a research institute in Washington, called the presidential election “a fundamental turning point.” He said Mr. Chávez was “going to have to deal with a very different society than he dealt with in his last term, a society that’s awakened and more organized and more confident.”
michael shifter wrote an article for foreign affairs called "slouching towards authoritarianism" about chavez in 2007
[account deactivated]
pictured: michael shifter

a while back i was talking to one of colleagues about Venezuela and he was telling about how he met this girl who hated chavez and Venezuela. She told him how she had to commute 3 hours to work each day because she couldn't find a job somewhere near her home. so he went on about how awful it would be to commute that long to work. and i was like, "hey bud you're commute is about 3 hours too". and he was like, "but that's my choice"

Edited by hey ()

So while there were fireworks in Caracas on Sunday to celebrate Chávez’s win, the economic outlook is far from exciting.

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2012/10/08/chavez-win-could-unsettle-markets/
Mr Capriles promised to reverse the concentration of power in the presidency and restore the autonomy of parliament, the courts and other branches of state, as well as the powers of regional governors. But Mr Chávez’s autocratic tendencies may well have been what enabled him to hold off Mr Capriles’s surge late in the campaign. He openly deployed the entire apparatus of an oil-rich state, including the judiciary, media and the government’s payroll and services, to help his re-election effort. Doubts about whether the president has stacked the deck too much in his favour to be beaten at the ballot box are now likely to return.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/americasview/2012/10/venezuela%E2%80%99s-presidential-election
"I told you. Chavez is a dictator because he was elected again."