most jokes targeting "weird people" are offensive in some way but the main problem in this case is it isn't funny. at least, to me. to each their own.
what isnt funny?
the hundreds of spastic trannies and social justice types itt were a lot funnier than that short paragraph
is 'herstory' a way to describe a cissexist thing form the perspective of trans-internet users?

Goethestein posted:

the hundreds of spastic trannies and social justice types itt were a lot funnier than that short paragraph

do you ever stop to consider why you are so hateful, goatstein?

getfiscal posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

cistorical manterialism is rly good but i feel like its so good it almost has to have been used unironically before somewhere in the blogosphere

there is a poster on wddp called "the herstory of all hiserto exiesting ciscieties"

thats my parachute acct

getfiscal posted:

most jokes targeting "weird people" are offensive in some way but the main problem in this case is it isn't funny. at least, to me. to each their own.

"those people do this" is a tired theme

goatstein is kewW
that onion facebook page is pretty funny

I’m torn on this because there is nothing funny about people being marginalized and suffering disproportionately from violence but the whole language of the debate is funny?

I don’t know, I’m a cispriviliged overman so this is all academic, viva la Peron

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

i recall seeing a youtube video by that woman a long time ago where she responded to people saying she benefited from male privilege by saying male privilege never helped her when she was molested as a child etc etc, like as a spoken word kind of thing. its like come on, thats terrible but you could say that negates your white privilege too and that wouldnt make sense either. thats not how privilege works

"male privilege" lmao.

no post-transition transwoman has ever had access to even the slightest amount of "male privilege."

Cycloneboy posted:

i recall seeing a youtube video by that woman a long time ago where she responded to people saying she benefited from male privilege by saying male privilege never helped her when she was molested as a child etc etc, like as a spoken word kind of thing. its like come on, thats terrible but you could say that negates your white privilege too and that wouldnt make sense either. thats not how privilege works

"male privilege" lmao.

no post-transition transwoman has ever had access to even the slightest amount of "male privilege."

how about inability to get pregnant

Goethestein posted:

Cycloneboy posted:
"male privilege" lmao.

i actually agree with Gopesheen here, not having your body ruined by children is clearly a privilege

you can still adopt a baby but dudes can jizz in u all day long and no baby. thats deffo male privilege

Goethestein posted:

biology is not privilege. are multiple orgasms female privilege, goats? is the ability to pee standing up male privilege? no.

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

if you ever wonder why a large % of trans people are depressed and self loathing http://www.facebook.com/TheOnion/posts/113157382173535 … its because CIS PEOPLE CREATE IT

Claire Mc Callion You all should check your fucking privilege. 49 per cent...

Edited by jeffery ()

someone's never heard of the shenis

http://www.shenis.com/Shenis/Home.html

chek it b4 u wrek it, cyclonechild

Cycloneboy posted:

Goethestein posted:

biology is not privilege. are multiple orgasms female privilege, goats? is the ability to pee standing up male privilege? no.

yes

someone please edit this to say "Cissler"

Cycloneboy posted:

"male privilege" lmao.

its more the social conditioning + opportunities given from birth once they write male on your birth certificate

its more the social conditioning + opportunities given from birth once they write male on your birth certificate

yeah man post-transition transwomen have a nonzero number more opportunities than ciswomen. don't you do the myprivilege tumblr.

Cycloneboy posted:

is the ability to pee standing up male privilege? no.

Literally shaking w rage at this Bad Thing

angelbutt_dollface posted:

someone's never heard of the shenis

http://www.shenis.com/Shenis/Home.html

chek it b4 u wrek it, cyclonechild

i'm more than aware of Go-Girl and similar products.

i'm more than aware of Go-Girl and similar products.
I once thought politics had no place in the bathroom, but a late night AIM convo with the always thought-provoking Tias changed my whole perspective on the issue; I now make it a point not only to sit down while urinating, but to inform others of my decision as well. Just another area where Europe is leaps and bounds ahead of us...

Cycloneboy posted:

yeah man post-transition transwomen have a nonzero number more opportunities than ciswomen. don't you do the myprivilege tumblr.

you get gay men feeling sorry for you all the time, not just after breakups
-

life expectancy for trans-ppl is 23.

yeah some privilege

HenryKrinkle posted:

fight for the cure.

Cycloneboy posted:

pre-transition you dumb fuck, people perceived as male are treated differently, socialized differently and given different opportunities and that doesnt disappear during transition. it doesnt mean transwomen are not more likely to be murdered, homeless, have fewer employment opportunities, etc than ciswomen of similiar backgrounds, because they are, but its intellectually dishonest to say that being treated as male during your formative years has zero effect

discipline posted:

Goethestein posted:

transplaining

I'm here from the radfem underground to tell you this is already A Thing

yo fuck the police coming straight from the radfem baby
young cismale got it bad cuz im a lady
and not the other gender so police think
they have the authority to be madonna/whoring me

HenryKrinkle posted:

yeah some privilege

link

http://www.guernicamag.com/interviews/spade_3_1_11/

currently looking for a more scientific source but yeah.

EDIT: looks like there are some reasons to doubt this specific figure:
http://www.birdofparadox.net/blog/?p=9478

Edited by HenryKrinkle ()

i dont think thats accurate, considering that most people even say they're trans until their early 20s
the idea behind intersectionality is that people can be privileged in some areas and oppressed in other areas and it doesnt at all imply that anyone who has benefited at any time from white privilege, male privilege, etc. must have a great life and no problems. it can be exactly the opposite but the intersecting areas of privilege dont change based on the overall quality of someones life
okay so now the guys that normally laugh at privilege rhetoric, up to and including creating blogs to make fun of it, are now taking it incredibly seriously to show how privileged transwomen are. yeah, seems credible enough.
You're right, I was just being hyperbolic because I really dislike The Road that much.

From what I can remember (it's been two years and I don't have a copy at hand), the things that turned me off were the intense level of misogyny shown towards the mother and the ritualistic recursion of the family "fire" myth. The fire/light/whatever was directly established as a male divinity and it was used to reiterate a patriarchal ideal of independence and biologically essentialist sovereignty at the cost of everything else. The ending does nothing to do this, first laying the father down to rest in a bed of divine predestination and then showing the kid along in a reissuing of that patriarchal myth tweaked for its final transmission. So we have a book where father and son go out to conquer the world and succeed despite adversity because of the grace of God. It was a new coat of paint - and I really enjoyed the parts of the book that were that coat of paint, like his discussion of all of the cults - but its main narrative thrust wasn't new, engaging, or interesting. It was very white, very privileged, very blah.
first you start off making fun of tumblr otherkin.

next thing you know you're dehumanizing trans-people.

Lessons posted:

okay so now the guys that normally laugh at privilege rhetoric, up to and including creating blogs to make fun of it, are now taking it incredibly seriously to show how privileged transwomen are. yeah, seems credible enough.

i'm still making fun of it. :whisper:

HenryKrinkle posted:

first you start off making fun of tumblr otherkin.

next thing you know you're dehumanizing trans-people.

thats because they're identical

i didnt create that blog and it exists to make fun of people misusing privilege theory for things like non-otherkin privilege you doofus

i dont get why this is such a controversial thing, youre basically on the level of this article, saying the idea that someone may benefit from privilege in a certain area while being oppressed in other areas is bullshit because even though stephen hawking has white and male privilege hes in a wheelchair http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/tumblr-privilege-check.php

Lessons posted:

as a non-transitioning transwoman i recognize i have a lot of privilege actually, so fuck you very much? for example, growing up i had my heroes on the big screen, like tootsie and mrs. doubtfire. what do transmen have? she's the man? well yeah that's pretty good okay i see both sides now