so uhh if you regularly use facebook you probably already know that recently they've implemented a way in which corporations and politicians can blast ads straight to your news feed without you wanting them and leaving you with little chance to prevent them from showing up whenever you visit the site. this is done through the pages your friends "like" so you cant really protect yourself easily short of unfriending anyone who likes a page.

as far as i know theres no really effective way to automatically stop these things from showing up on your news feed yet (unless there is one and i havent been told about it), but there is a way to stop facebook from showing your friends ads based upon pages you like. so the idea here is to get as many people as possible to opt out of allowing facebook to use them as a relay for corporate advertising aimed at the people on their friends list. i get that this sounds really vain and 'convenient activism'-y and takes a bit of effort to ultimately not do much at all but if enough people are made aware of this hopefully everyone will see a lot fewer ads on their news feed.

to do it, go to this link and opt out of "social ads" and your friends will no longer receive ads on their news feed with your name on them. and if other people you know also opt out their names won't be on the ads either and eventually there will be no ads at all. you get the idea

https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=ads&section=social

please pass this onto your friends.
Thanks for stopping by!
my main purpose for coming back was to post that awesome face smiley but i felt this was worthy to post too
cant you set it to display only important updates from friends? a bunch of people i kenw in highschool are now all about dmt the spirit molecule but i think i managed to block it.
i dont have a facebook or a tv
warm milk with baking soda
Hey can you also post how i can reinstate my profile after i got disabled for "fake name"????

theyre asking for me to send photographic evidence of my "real name", they want scans of government id etc
they sent me an email sayin that i can rat other people out for fake names by goin to the report feature.

i dont think anyone ratted me out, tho, i think it was because i petitioned another name change for my account, a name that was halloween-themed, and i provided this as photographic proof of my name change:

stop blaming "the corporations" for everything

you get this magical world of communications bought into your house and life for free, an endless well of convenience and knowledge piped into your home, and you're so ungrateful you can't even accept scrolling past the name of one company?

what the hell is wrong with generation y?
[account deactivated]
Anyone want the rest of these fries?
anyone want the rest of my dick

Crow posted:

Hey can you also post how i can reinstate my profile after i got disabled for "fake name"????

konami code

getfiscal posted:

Crow posted:

konami chode

[account deactivated]
I'm going to start a petition to nationalize Facebook. It's way too essential to life today to be privately owned -- it's practically our identities, being owned. Actually, scratch that nationalization idea, it should really be owned by the users themselves. I'm serious here. Think Wikipedia, but bigger.
Shouldn't Facebook be open source?
facebook is already run by the nsa and fbi
http://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2012/08/09/race-class-app-net-the-beginning-of-white-flight-from-facebook-twitter/
When I got to the $50 price point (pre-paid) of joining App.net for a year, however, I started to see the service a bit differently. I realize that any app or service charging at least $4.17 per month (and there are a lot of them) also costs at least $50 per year, but that actually isn’t the point here; the point is the stratifying effect of asking for $50 upfront instead of asking for $4.17 every month. Was this stratifying effect intentional, or an oversight? Some clicking around indicates that it’s probably intentional, with one interview article stating that the $50 pre-paid membership cost is “really more of a ‘are you serious’ fee.” Caldwell believes that “Twitter could have been something more, and perhaps better, than what it has become,” and so has set out to build a service not for the masses, “but for the hacker masses.”

The “hacker masses” are, of course, a much less diverse crowd than are the ‘regular’ masses. Recall that Twitter’s original ‘early adopter’ user base in 2007 was the so-called digerati, who are largely affluent white men with connections to the tech industry; recall as well that in 2012, “it’s a black Twitterverse; white people only live in it.” “How Black People Use Twitter” got a lot of attention on Slate.com two years ago (despite describing how only some Black users use Twitter), and let’s not forget how many Arab-region users joined Twitter during last year’s Arab Spring. Meanwhile, those “keen and savvy” early adopters now complain because services like Twitter and Facebook “haven’t developed with us” , and Caldwell himself sees K-Mart ads in his feed as just another sign of Twitter’s appalling degradation and debasement. OMG it’s the end of the world: K-mart shoppers and people of color found Twitter.

I’m now wondering if App.net doesn’t mark the beginning of “white flight” from Twitter and Facebook, just as danah boyd (@zephoria) has argued that Facebook was the “white flight” from Myspace before that. Both sites have certainly grown beyond their early-adopter user bases: Twitter had 500 million users as of February 2012, and with 955 million users as of June 2012, “everyone” is supposedly on Facebook; your mom is on Facebook (hell, my mom’s on Twitter, too), and there’s even a growing chance your grandma is on Facebook (though I admit that mine isn’t). Facebook has become so quotidian—some would even say pedestrian—that as Laura Portwood-Stacer (@lportwoodstacer) argues, not being on Facebook has become the new, cool status marker (esp for affluent white tech people). Given all the cultural and economic capital there is to be gained from participating in social media, however, it wouldn’t be surprising if some people who are ‘too cool’ for Facebook and Twitter are not yet too cool for social networking sites in general, especially sites you need $50, $100, or $1000 upfront to join. In fact, App.net is betting there are at least 10,000 people willing to pay $50, to start.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

stop blaming "the corporations" for everything

you get this magical world of communications bought into your house and life for free, an endless well of convenience and knowledge piped into your home, and you're so ungrateful you can't even accept scrolling past the name of one company?

what the hell is wrong with generation y?

i'm not "blaming the corporations" for anything im just saying i'd rather not see a bunch of posts from pages i'm not subscribed to whenever i go on facebook, and it just happens to be that 100% of the time those posts are by corporations and politicians.

also it's not "scrolling past the name of one company" whenever i visit the site but rather every 3rd post on my feed is some corporation that i don't care about that two of my friends "like" posting a huge picture of a smiling person using their product along with LIKE THIS STATUS IF YOU TOO LOVE OUR PRODUCT AND CLICK THIS LINK TO GET 1.35% OFF OF YOUR NEXT ORDER, SLAVE. or something with that general idea

525,600 minutes.... How do you measure a year in life? How about measure in LOVE!

^the most recent status on my facebook feed
mods change my name to Prozac Galifianakis

MadMedico posted:

http://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/2012/08/09/race-class-app-net-the-beginning-of-white-flight-from-facebook-twitter/When I got to the $50 price point (pre-paid) of joining App.net for a year, however, I started to see the service a bit differently. I realize that any app or service charging at least $4.17 per month (and there are a lot of them) also costs at least $50 per year, but that actually isn’t the point here; the point is the stratifying effect of asking for $50 upfront instead of asking for $4.17 every month. Was this stratifying effect intentional, or an oversight? Some clicking around indicates that it’s probably intentional, with one interview article stating that the $50 pre-paid membership cost is “really more of a ‘are you serious’ fee.” Caldwell believes that “Twitter could have been something more, and perhaps better, than what it has become,” and so has set out to build a service not for the masses, “but for the hacker masses.”

The “hacker masses” are, of course, a much less diverse crowd than are the ‘regular’ masses. Recall that Twitter’s original ‘early adopter’ user base in 2007 was the so-called digerati, who are largely affluent white men with connections to the tech industry; recall as well that in 2012, “it’s a black Twitterverse; white people only live in it.” “How Black People Use Twitter” got a lot of attention on Slate.com two years ago (despite describing how only some Black users use Twitter), and let’s not forget how many Arab-region users joined Twitter during last year’s Arab Spring. Meanwhile, those “keen and savvy” early adopters now complain because services like Twitter and Facebook “haven’t developed with us” , and Caldwell himself sees K-Mart ads in his feed as just another sign of Twitter’s appalling degradation and debasement. OMG it’s the end of the world: K-mart shoppers and people of color found Twitter.

I’m now wondering if App.net doesn’t mark the beginning of “white flight” from Twitter and Facebook, just as danah boyd (@zephoria) has argued that Facebook was the “white flight” from Myspace before that. Both sites have certainly grown beyond their early-adopter user bases: Twitter had 500 million users as of February 2012, and with 955 million users as of June 2012, “everyone” is supposedly on Facebook; your mom is on Facebook (hell, my mom’s on Twitter, too), and there’s even a growing chance your grandma is on Facebook (though I admit that mine isn’t). Facebook has become so quotidian—some would even say pedestrian—that as Laura Portwood-Stacer (@lportwoodstacer) argues, not being on Facebook has become the new, cool status marker (esp for affluent white tech people). Given all the cultural and economic capital there is to be gained from participating in social media, however, it wouldn’t be surprising if some people who are ‘too cool’ for Facebook and Twitter are not yet too cool for social networking sites in general, especially sites you need $50, $100, or $1000 upfront to join. In fact, App.net is betting there are at least 10,000 people willing to pay $50, to start.

it was pretty neat when facebook was populated almost entirely by whites as a function of only being open to college students and their siblings

i dont use facebook but i got the same problem. i use fuckbook and instead of corporations i keep on getting messaged by sexy young women please help how do i stop them from harassing me

hey posted:

i dont use facebook but i got the same problem. i use fuckbook and instead of corporations i keep on getting messaged by sexy young women please help how do i stop them from harassing me

tell them you're actually rhizzone poster cycloneboy

angelbutt_dollface posted:

What gendersex does this make you

i dnt use fangbook nor do i have a tv
[account deactivated]

libelous_slander posted:

angelbutt_dollface posted:

What gendersex does this make you

halfdick

half man, half dick, ALL woman

MY GIRLFRIEND put up a picture of her new hair color on facebook and 100 people liked it lol that is some creepy ass shit
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Crow posted:

theyre asking for me to send photographic evidence of my "real name", they want scans of government id etc

come back to facebook mr crow

dont worry!! im cummin!! im cummiN!!!! 33

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND put up a picture of her new hair color on facebook and 100 people liked it lol that is some creepy ass shit

upvotin' your post to vicariously like her picture

OP, there are way more 15-sec ads on YouTube lately, how do I get rid of those? I mean the kind that don't even let you click through after 5 seconds. Awful.
[account deactivated]