Would you support the return of exile as a common punishment for serious non-capital offenses (aggravated assault, possession of a single vial of crack cocaine, libel / incendiary speech / mindcrime, texting while driving, child dangerment, "pizza flipping," grand torino, failure to evade taxes), as opposed to the incarcerations and slave labours currently imposed? Is there a place in America justice system for exile, besides for treason or to satisfy white xenophobia? I was reading a greek play and people were getting exiled and banished all over the place, pretty soon everyone in the play was exiled so they all lived in one town over, and so did all the residents of that town, and the play was like musical chairs with genocide every time the music stops. Thanks for reading.
you can't exile people, how do you extort from them when you can't threaten them with incarceration. geez
if i got exiled to england i'd probably kill myself.
Exile isn't an effective deterrent unless you think people make a cost/benefit decision when they commit crimes
exile me from scruburbia

shermanstick posted:

Exile isn't an effective deterrent unless you think people make a cost/benefit decision when they commit crimes

Neither is incarceration then.

would rape by envelopment be a exileable crime?

drwhat posted:

you can't exile people, how do you extort from them when you can't threaten them with incarceration. geez

You threaten them with refugee status..

swampman posted:

shermanstick posted:

Neither is incarceration then.

Except it is...there's just unfortunate by-products. Incarceration, particularly the guarantee that it will be imposed with swiftness, celerity and certainty, will have some deterrent effect by either housing would-be future offenders/current offenders in a near permanency and then also by scaring the living shit out of anyone. Mass incarceration is really what works, it just has all of these fucked up side effects.

exile has been used as a punishment in American Indian tribal law up to the present day, altho it's its going out of fashion since rehabilitative methods are better for the community and families and whatnot. kind of an "*" there, tho, since the feds come in for the really big felonies, so we're really talking about repeat domestic violence people, repeat drug dealers, that kind of thing

thirdplace posted:

feds come in for the really big felonies

at least they're supposed to. usually they don't actually because big time FBI guy can't be arsed to go down to the rez. lol!

You know who else supported exile?
[account deactivated]
I was exiled once true story
i was really close to being banned from the usa forever which is worse than exile. i'm not american but banning a westerner from being able to visit times square and hollywood is like banning a muslim from going to hajj. celebrities are just like us
Where would you exile someone to
Its the same as exile. Being banned from usa forever. Thats what im talking about. Would it be "better" for us to sentence people to exile instead of say, life inprisment. I dont know. Diplomatical garbage exports would be Tres Americana in my hubble opinion.
where would they go
mexico obvi
you can't really make a lot of money exiling people
plus you need those degenerate law breakers to buy dumb shit in the US anyway
Exile me from my wife! Helloo trop. para.!!!
a man, a ban, a gulag, aluganabanama

Keven posted:

where would they go

Not our problem

ggw posted:

you can't really make a lot of money exiling people
plus you need those degenerate law breakers to buy dumb shit in the US anyway

You dont make a lot of money locking them up either, the parasitical prison industry does, advantage exile.

put them...in the Iron Maiden

EXCELLENT!!!!
an idea

tpaine posted:

swampman posted:

You dont make a lot of money locking them up either, the parasitical prison industry does, advantage exile.

That's who I meant by "you"

but think of all the tax doolllars
this sounds like a good idea. thanks for coming up with it, swampman.
[account deactivated]
Lets sexile men if they forget to wash the dishes like we asked. Who's in, ladies?

discipline posted:

communal farms in south dakota

gross, just let giant machines and stuff do it like now

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Crow posted:

an idea

do russians get from point a to point b through a series of wrecks

Life is Funny..

i've watched taht video 5 times today and it gets funnier each time
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i guess what's not funny is that there is probably ten times more footage of fatality videos