everything is fucked. short everything
the triumph of vegetation will be total

Edited by animedad ()

Agnus_Dei posted:

If you are curious about investing then by all means experiment with it, but use cautious sums. Invest in companies you like. You will learn a lot in the process.

Personally I think keeping a Traditional IRA in your preferred broker's long-term growth index is a good idea. It's nice to contribute the max every year and receive a refund.

Keep the rest of your money in a high-yield savings account.

One should be aware that the dollar, stocks, gold, etc. may all drop in value catastrophically at any moment. This anxiety is an unavoidable reality of wealth.

If you are concerned about maximizing your earnings past that you should probably consider this image.

thanks for the advice joel

jools posted:

doug henwood already does this Lol

lol.

Crow posted:

some brass knucks?! brass knucks dude???

[account deactivated]
http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=a9oUq4twMVY&start=1m56s&end=1m57s
http://www.endlessvideo.com/watch?v=a9oUq4twMVY&start=1m35s&end=1m39s
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

shit up yer arse

i did now what?

well yeah

Edited by jeffery ()

u r a gay idiot
Anyone actually wanting to learn about finance should read Doug Henwood, plus I know I say this every time but the stock market is big enough and so embedded that it is just about as exhausted as a means of creating some kind of super profit. The real place for this is in derivatives and the derivatives of derivatives in the really huge markets (credit, currency, kind of energy)

The people advocating shorting stocks as a strategy clearly dont understand uncontroversial aspects of finance and are probably also contradicting whatever brand of hackneyed leftism is their gimmick of choice
his books just seem like boring liberal epiphanies that finance is actually dead labor. i don't think that would be a shock to anyone here broseph
people here are advocating purchasing greek debt, tho. it's over 1000% yield, what a great investment
I mean his explanations about the actual mechanisms are actually accurate but nobody really cares about those things and would rather simplify it to matt taibbi style narratives. it's still weird to me how allergic leftists are to learn about something so fundamental to modern capitalism. like by cracking open the protocols of the bankster you might be prone to start studying for your CFA
it's probably more because it's really boring and the conclusions are much the same. they involve bullets
it fairly redundant knowing the specific inner workings of a system you know to be built on a flawed premise. what good would that information do to the average leftist? they don't have the capital to be able to participate in financial markets, it's a privilege relegated for the wealthy.

anyways, what book does he talk about the mechanisms of finance?
Cast iron pan. With a sword handle. A battle hardened piece of cookware ready to maul any meal you sling before it.

AmericanNazbro posted:

it fairly redundant knowing the specific inner workings of a system you know to be built on a flawed premise. what good would that information do to the average leftist? they don't have the capital to be able to participate in financial markets, it's a privilege relegated for the wealthy.

i'm not sure how understanding the mechanisms of the current hegemony isnt important to leftists. this isn't really its only problem, but the fact that ows couldn't articulate anything beyond vague critiques of bailouts and complaining about atm fees went a long way in discrediting it among people who tried to think it through; and that was a movement supposedly created to directly counter finance capitalism

anyway http://www.wallstreetthebook.com/WallStreet.pdf is the best he's done on it, reading this would probably leave you more knowledgable than the finance majors out of big ten schools you and impper do shooters with at schoolyard tavern

dough enwood reifies bourgeois concepts and power structures. the epitome of liberal trot. he also has weird blood feuds wtih obscure public access radio figures.. additionallhy he smells like a butt

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

i'm not sure how understanding the mechanisms of the current hegemony isnt important to leftists. this isn't really its only problem, but the fact that ows couldn't articulate anything beyond vague critiques of bailouts and complaining about atm fees went a long way in discrediting it among people who tried to think it through; and that was a movement supposedly created to directly counter finance capitalism

anyway http://www.wallstreetthebook.com/WallStreet.pdf is the best he's done on it, reading this would probably leave you more knowledgable than the finance majors out of big ten schools you and impper do shooters with at schoolyard tavern

knowing how to trade in derivative and place puts =/= a good understanding of capitalism. i would say it would be more akin to being mislead into believing a subject has a firm grasp on the mechanisms of capitalism, though built on a faulty premise ultimately.

i wasn't referring to OWS protesters as leftist, OWS is/was kind of a joke. i was speaking in regards to people who have a background in marxism. unless someone were to actively attempt to trade in the finance markets, i can't see a necessity in learning the finer mechanics within financial markets.

also again, what kind of /real/ leftist has the capital to trade in equities? some extremely radical leftist like dorkasaurus_rex? i think our definition of what constitutes a leftist differs quite a bit.

form a venture capital company and invest in tiny weird web 9.0 neo-social-mobile augmented reality apps

google will buy your shit for $500m

hth
are you actually doing any investing and speculating now goldsmith? you used to be a courier before right? did you make it to the big times now are you at the trading desk? i heard that's a real miserable job hahah

AmericanNazbro posted:

not so much how to do it (no book is really about that) but about how business and financial markets interplay, something lost on most people, marxist or not, besides some idea about companies wanting stock prices high and inflation low

i don't even mean that someone can take down the system be being a leftist rogue trader or something dumb like that. but if you're going to fight cpaitalism (and i'm not even sure how that is done) it seems best to understand how it even works in 2012 because it is functionally unrecognizable from the form marx or lenin understood it to be. leave my dear friend dork rex out of it... my god, if there a hundred like him around today, it could change the world

AmericanNazbro posted:

are you actually doing any investing and speculating now goldsmith? you used to be a courier before right? did you make it to the big times now are you at the trading desk? i heard that's a real miserable job hahah

i worked on a trading desk years ago. even ethics aside i wasn't cut out for that ilfe. now i actually work at a busy and boring office job. i don't remember what even attracted me to finance in the first place anymore

i have my CFA

Canadian Fucking Attitude!!!

AmericanNazbro posted:

Groulxsmith posted:
AmericanNazbro posted:

knowing how to trade in derivative and place puts =/= a good understanding of capitalism. i would say it would be more akin to being mislead into believing a subject has a firm grasp on the mechanisms of capitalism, though built on a faulty premise ultimately.

i wasn't referring to OWS protesters as leftist, OWS is/was kind of a joke. i was speaking in regards to people who have a background in marxism. unless someone were to actively attempt to trade in the finance markets, i can't see a necessity in learning the finer mechanics within financial markets.

also again, what kind of /real/ leftist has the capital to trade in equities? some extremely radical leftist like dorkasaurus_rex? i think our definition of what constitutes a leftist differs quite a bit.

Stalin and his gang robbed banks and did deals with oil magnates to fund their revolution while you say "what kind of real leftist needs to know how to get money".....weird

Groulxsmith posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

not so much how to do it (no book is really about that) but about how business and financial markets interplay, something lost on most people, marxist or not, besides some idea about companies wanting stock prices high and inflation low

i don't even mean that someone can take down the system be being a leftist rogue trader or something dumb like that. but if you're going to fight cpaitalism (and i'm not even sure how that is done) it seems best to understand how it even works in 2012 because it is functionally unrecognizable from the form marx or lenin understood it to be. leave my dear friend dork rex out of it... my god, if there a hundred like him around today, it could change the world

if you think this maybe you should actually read Marx instead of wasting time reading theology books on the various strategies for growing fictitious capital and justifying it as productive.

it's really not that complicated, anyway

babyhueypnewton posted:

Groulxsmith posted:
AmericanNazbro posted:

if you think this maybe you should actually read Marx instead of wasting time reading theology books on the various strategies for growing fictitious capital and justifying it as productive.

The world is a very different place to the 1870s today

Groulxsmith posted:

leave my dear friend dork rex out of it... my god, if there a hundred like him around today, it could change the world

if he gave 10mil to 100 people there could be, but he doesn't. Hmm makes u think, makes u think...

animedad posted:

it's really not that complicated, anyway

Eight Million people without electricity because the wires are on poles. Should they be? Why are they? Good idea?

Yes. Because they are poor. Yes.
I think we should invest in urban renewal in the favelas of rio and design phone apps which match the innovative ideas of the wretched of the earth with earnest, socially conscious hedge funds.

Groulxsmith posted:

like by cracking open the protocols of the bankster you might be prone to start studying for your CFA

but isnt that like, exactly what always happens? no one responsibly wields that power. the lure of exploitative laborless capital is endlessly corruptive and abyssal. leave your soul at the door

*police find living room stacked floor-to-ceiling with terrorist training manuals and bomb-making equipment*

"oh no guys, its not what you think. im getting inside their heads. im studying to defeat them"
some people like to fight the good fight even if it means not fighting at all and having a flexible moral reference.

animedad posted: