we gotta fight. for our right. TO NOOOOOOOOOOTTTT STARVE!

Michigan Governor Rick Snyder has signed a right-to-work bill limiting union power into law in his state, he announced in a press conference on Tuesday evening.

"I view this as an opportunity to stand up for Michigan's workers—to be pro-worker," Snyder said.

"I don't view this as anti-union at all...I believe this is pro-worker."

Earlier on Tuesday the GOP controlled state house approved a law that would make the payment of union dues voluntary for private-sector unions and most public-sector unions (police and firefighters would be exempt.) The bill was approved by a vote of 58-51.

In anticipation of the vote, thousands of protesters descended on the statehouse as early as 5am on Tuesday. Later in the day, the demonstrations moved to the Romney building- which is named after former Michigan Gov. George Romney (father of Mitt)- where Snyder has an office.

There's symbolism in the location. During his tenure as governor, Romney signed the first bills in the state that gave collective bargaining rights to public-sector employees.

The protests continued on through the day on Tuesday, and by the afternoon riot police surrounded the Romney building in an effort to keep protesters out.

Michigan state police told the Associated Press that pepper spray was used to calm a protester, but there was no arrest in that incident. Two separate arrests occurred on Tuesday when two individuals tried to get into the Romney building.

Michigan now becomes the 24th state to pass right-to-work legislation, but the passage of a such a law in union-heavy Michigan is particularly divisive in the state. Michigan is the birthplace of the powerful United Auto Workers organizatiom and union representation in Michigan is among the highest in the nation; roughly 17.5 percent of the state's labor force is unionized.

Although Snyder has signed the bill into law, it will still be possible to put it on the ballot in 2014, when Snyder is expected to run for re-election. The bill includes appropriations, which means that it will automatically become law if signed, but the state constitution allows for voters to invoke a referendum to "approve or reject" the law.

Opponents of the law will have 90 days after the legislature adjourns to gather 8 percent of the total votes cast in the last gubernatorial race, which were more than 3 million.

If they succeed, the law will be placed on the ballot and subject to a statewide vote.

i dont know about you but i sure hope UNIONS dont get to make the poor workers join them anymore. i sure love that my boss can fire me for no fucking reason and i have no recourse that sure is great FFFFFFFFAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRTTTTTTTT
lol who gives a fuck about unions. what are you, an anarchosyndicalist
Oh no not the unions ablub a blub blub
Think of the poor union workers! how will they continue to fund their fight flight when union thugs aren't holding companies hostage?
there is a 100% chance the incoming democrats won't repeal this lmao
[account deactivated]
lol michigan is nazi
You shouldn't be FORCED to pay union fees.

*works second job to pay credit card debt*
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

lol if you think you can do that with just two jobs.

lol if you think i'd work

im going to get rich and pay getfiscal a salary to post stupid shit online
florida is a right to work state and everything's turned out great here so far!
[account deactivated]
“wahhh I I’m clothed in the blood and toil of the Chinese proletariat, I’m fat and own two cars, give me MORE, give me MORRRRRE WAHHH”
Australia is hot this time of year, come to the frigid yankee states. I promise to add an obamacare surcharge to all your transactions.

libelous_slander posted:

Australia is hot this time of year, come to the frigid yankee states. I promise to add an obamacare surcharge to all your transactions.

i'm going to utah, colorado, nevada and cali in february

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I said the words, Rick Scott thought again, but one of her nipples found its way between his lips. It was pink and hard and when he sucked on it her milk filled his mouth, mingling with the taste of rum, and he had never tasted anything so fine and sweet and good. If I do this I am no better than Jeb Bush, Rick thought, but it felt too good to stop. And suddenly his cock was out, jutting upward from his breeches like a fat pink mast. It looked so silly standing there that he might have laughed, but Michele pushed him back onto her pallet, hiked her skirts up around her thighs, and lowered herself onto him with a little whimpery sound.
http://www.nsfwcorp.com/dispatch/right-to-work
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Rick Scott juggled his recently Botox-ed smooth ballsack in his hand and surveyed the flat North Florida landscape of scrub brush and paper company pine-trees. From his chalice (half of a human child's skull) he took a long deep drink of his Ernest Gallo Apotheca, all the while considering his options for the day, "Who shall I fuck today?" Then his nine year old Taiwanese boy that was serving as a footstool moved so he got mad and he beat it to death so he had to order a new one.
As a lifelong resident of Southeast Michigan, I have been exposed to union culture to great extent. My mom and dad were both union members, MEA (teachers) and IBEW (electrical workers) respectively, which afforded the family a comfortable suburban life. Most of my friends had one or more parents who were UAW members, and when we played outside and got boo-boos, those fabulous union benefits assured that a hospital visit wouldn't bankrupt the family.

I have been having some interesting discussions with people lately. Especially my peers. It only took a single generation to expose the truth about unions, and here's what we've learned:

My first lesson is that the reality in which I grew up is a fable. Unionized labor had nothing to do with my idyllic childhood. And since I am not a union worker now, any strong pro-union sentiment I feel should be met with skepticism.

The second lesson is that the union man is a lazy creature at heart, and this is the true reason the working class are struggling. The extravagant middle class lifestyle I enjoy now is a direct result of my superb work ethic and gumption. I am thus disabused of my initial notion that my current circumstances are a product of being born white in the suburbs, where every door was kicked open and a well-paying job was literally the path of least resistance.

A third lesson is that unions are no longer necessary. We have laws in place to protect workers now. And since there is no effective way for those who own the means of production to unduly influence lawmakers for favorable legislation, unions can be relegated to the dustbin of history.

I'm pretty sure there's a fourth lesson in there about stopping to smell the roses (and revel in the plight of people who work harder than I do for meager wages), but I haven't fully fleshed it out yet and if I have one more conversation about this topic my brain might start to hemorrhage.

I am thus disabused of my initial notion that my current circumstances are a product of being born white in the suburbs, where every door was kicked open and a well-paying job was literally the path of least resistance.

ggw posted:

And since there is no effective way for those who own the means of production to unduly influence lawmakers for favorable legislation, unions can be relegated to the dustbin of history.

[account deactivated]
lmao that dude seriously got 7 weeks in prison? wtf?
probably just pretrial confinement. its really easy to deny someone bail, especially at the federal level
http://i46.tinypic.com/fymvc6.jpg
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
probably like everything Tool ever recorded, for starters
[account deactivated]
umm, how about all i need, reckoner, house of cards??? jesus. i mean seriously
reckoner
http://www.radioheadremix.com/

this remix is lots better than all that gay hipster shit posted there
[account deactivated]