i actually agree with that. ive tried to play minecraft before and it seemed sort of pointless.. just build something.. and noone can really come..
The Total War franchise as a whole is my thing, been playing since Shogun 1. I also grew up on the Command and Conquer franchise and trust Petroglyph on their previous works as Westwood alone.

Now I pretty much play free games, mainly some Petroglyph stuff. I do own a Wii, but I am mainly a social gamer, if I hang out with people, then Super Mario or Smash Bros is a good 4 person entertainment.
[account deactivated]
I can't enjoy video games any more. I've just fucked up my life and wasted so much time on them. Whenever I see a friend who has obviously been blankly staring at a screen for hours, I get really creeped out.

But whenever I relapse (and then come back to myself 5 hours later, sweaty, numbed, and ashamed) I'm usually playing these. They're pretty good. If I had to burn out on games I'm glad it was these.

Victoria
Alpha Centauri
Tropico
Hidden Agenda
& Nat Turner's Punchout

also dungeon crawl, but fuck dungeon crawl.
[account deactivated]
that person is me
actually i havent played video games in earnest for like 5-6 years and i dont have a book deal. whatsa goin on heah
i've been playing warcraft and starcraft since i was like 11. the detail and depth of the mythology in blizzard's games are fantastic, even if they are just "products," they are fascinating worlds and characters to learn about.

i am now playing wow en espaƱol to complement my language training.
Deus Ex the first was way better

discipline posted:
I know someone who quit playing video games and now like 2 months later they have a girlfriend and a book deal

i quit video games two years ago or so. i should have a whole bunch of girlfriends and book deals.

way to steal my obvious joke... geert fiscal...
mine had a macro and also it is less plausible that women wouldn't touch you
or men. if you are homosexual.

Impper posted:
i actually agree with that. ive tried to play minecraft before and it seemed sort of pointless.. just build something.. and noone can really come..

Minecraft can be played either single-player or multi-player. There are many servers in which multiple people contribute to the development of in-game projects.

getfiscal have you ever considered, like, the theoretical and abstract impacts of virginity upon the political mind

do you think people like you and i have different, or perhaps, better, insight into matters because of our unique positions?
i think there is a direct relationship between ethical politic and volume of consensual sexual relations engaged in
i dunno. i think the stereotype is probably true, that it just makes you care about things you wouldn't otherwise through extreme sublimation, like a manchild. i feel way more ashamed that i don't have intimate closeness with women than like actual sex. and i had "closeness" before i guess a few times and that was important to me.

the other thing is that i was goofy but i could have had sex pretty easily in my early 20s but turned it down or refused to pursue people. i only got fat a few years ago. i mean i don't understand women that well i guess but it is more brain problems and extreme anxiety than like simple nerdiness or something. i think part of it is something to do with my father because i'm terrified of being a father so i refuse to put myself in a situation where there is a nonzero chance i'll have kids.
yeah but being a virgin makes you literally retarded and alienated so you're probably actually less able to understand things and just more spergy about not understanding thigns

EDIT: more sperg does not mean more smart
that's what i meant too.

babyfinland posted:
yeah but being a virgin makes you literally retarded and alienated so you're probably actually less able to understand things and just more spergy about not understanding thigns

EDIT: more sperg does not mean more smart

i disagree

getfiscal posted:
i dunno. i think the stereotype is probably true, that it just makes you care about things you wouldn't otherwise through extreme sublimation, like a manchild. i feel way more ashamed that i don't have intimate closeness with women than like actual sex. and i had "closeness" before i guess a few times and that was important to me.

the other thing is that i was goofy but i could have had sex pretty easily in my early 20s but turned it down or refused to pursue people. i only got fat a few years ago. i mean i don't understand women that well i guess but it is more brain problems and extreme anxiety than like simple nerdiness or something. i think part of it is something to do with my father because i'm terrified of being a father so i refuse to put myself in a situation where there is a nonzero chance i'll have kids.

i think its like that episode of seinfeld where george cant have sex and becomes a super-genius, except all the time for people like us and nietzsche and newton

i wrote a psychoanalytic article about videogames a while back. it's like a year old so maybe i'll rework a few things and post it. i used to be huge into stuff like everquest too so im not just some jerk ragging on games
tsargon that'd be nice but i don't think it is probably true.
Men are fundamentally divided into those concerned with being admired by their peers and those in pursuit of wisdom. It is possible to have an interest in sex and be in either group; however, a member of the former group must necessarily demonstrate such an interest (in a way that I, personally, find blatantly dishonest and over-the-top).

There are many men who feel a strong social compulsion to seek out sex, even though they may find sex difficult to come by in a way they think is satisfactory. Only by rejecting this compulsion can a person hope to focus their activities on their true interests and talents. Ironically, by pursuing actual skills and interests instead of learning to con women into sleeping with him, a man is more likely to achieve success and notoriety and thus be more attractive to decent women as long-term partners.
ya its almost like getting married is natural and good

boy howdy what a firework up the yahoo that one is
how can you promise to love someone. how'd that concept slip under the radar. like i get "i'll try to make this work" but i don't get "we'll be together forever."

getfiscal posted:

well if it doesnt make us smarter then does it make us dumber? i cannot imagine this to be so

babyfinland posted:

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.

getfiscal posted:
how can you promise to love someone. how'd that concept slip under the radar. like i get "i'll try to make this work" but i don't get "we'll be together forever."

not everyone is catholic ya frog

it didnt slip under the radar so much as it has everything to do w/ christian mythology

Tsargon posted:

getfiscal posted:

well if it doesnt make us smarter then does it make us dumber? i cannot imagine this to be so

it does. like a jew on the farm...

Tsargon posted:

babyfinland posted:

i dont believe in "the gay"

Tsargon posted:

Much like your sex life.

getfiscal posted:

I don't think you can truthfully promise to love someone forever. You can only pragmatically choose a partner at a time in your life where both of you seem mature and developed. A person who you find exceedingly compatible and enjoyable to be around, who shares your moral values, and who similarly values your company. You have to plan it out so that it is very likely your love will endure. The alternative is to risk serious heartache and other nasty consequences.

i already found someone like that. turns out they don't like crazy weirdoes. owned, self, owned. owned... forever? owned.
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 1941-1945 and when it comes out, Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. Most important key is 'F' for fix bayonets, then sprint at the nearest imperialist fascist Capitalist aggressor.

1. Drink vodka
2. Spawn with M91/30
3. Drink vodka
4. Smoke tobacco out of your tobacco-only water pipe
5. Crush your enemies
6. Drink vodka
7. Go online and start ordering M91/30s
Got pretty burned out on games over the past year, after wasting way too much of my life on them since the days of 386s. After reading the article "How the '80s programmed us for war" ( http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2011/03/15/sirota_excerpt_back_to_our_future )after it was posted in the old LF, (props to whoever did so, I forget) about the synergistic relationship of the Pentagon with Hollywood and the games industry for the purposes of recruiting, indoctrination, and training, I got pretty fucking weirded out.

I realized that basically everything I, and most people our age, were playing was violent and imperialist and there was a serious lack of peaceful and constructive shit out there. Red Orchestra and various Paradox strategy games at the time, mostly. I suppose bayoneting fascists is constructive in one sense, but still. The military even one-upped themselves with their house-coded America's Army bullshit and opened million-dollar recruiting centers in suburban malls with rows and rows of x-boxes playing stupid shit like Call of Duty to train kids how cool and rad it is to call in drone strikes with hellfire missiles on houses full of women and children, so they can deploy to Central Asia and die to an IED while protecting the CIA's opium and the lithium and copper mining rights purchased by Chinese corporations. Shit, they make the controls on drones and say the 20mm autocannons on IFVs as similar as possible to the game controls their recruits grew up with.

I don't think the choice of unrealistic trash like Call of Duty was a coincidence beyond the popularity of the series. The more unrealistic and arcadey a game is, the more it personsifies the right-libertarian deleusion of utter control over one's fate with person skill in a vacuum being the determining factor of success of failure. The quicker one can sidestep and the faster one can snap headshots from the hip the longer one will live. Undoubtedly their recruiting numbers would drop if they had PCs playing something like Red Orchestra which generally gives the impression "wow, war is hell" and sheer random luck and teamwork are far more important factors in life and death. Doesn't matter how good you are, chances are you'll be gibbed by an unseen frag grenade, or cut in half by an emplaced machine gun while crossing a street.

watwatsen posted:
Got pretty burned out on games over the past year, after wasting way too much of my life on them since the days of 386s. After reading the article "How the '80s programmed us for war" ( http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2011/03/15/sirota_excerpt_back_to_our_future )after it was posted in the old LF, (props to whoever did so, I forget) about the synergistic relationship of the Pentagon with Hollywood and the games industry for the purposes of recruiting, indoctrination, and training, I got pretty fucking weirded out.

I realized that basically everything I, and most people our age, were playing was violent and imperialist and there was a serious lack of peaceful and constructive shit out there. Red Orchestra and various Paradox strategy games at the time, mostly. I suppose bayoneting fascists is constructive in one sense, but still. The military even one-upped themselves with their house-coded America's Army bullshit and opened million-dollar recruiting centers in suburban malls with rows and rows of x-boxes playing stupid shit like Call of Duty to train kids how cool and rad it is to call in drone strikes with hellfire missiles on houses full of women and children, so they can deploy to Central Asia and die to an IED while protecting the CIA's opium and the lithium and copper mining rights purchased by Chinese corporations. Shit, they make the controls on drones and say the 20mm autocannons on IFVs as similar as possible to the game controls their recruits grew up with.

I don't think the choice of unrealistic trash like Call of Duty was a coincidence beyond the popularity of the series. The more unrealistic and arcadey a game is, the more it personsifies the right-libertarian deleusion of utter control over one's fate with person skill in a vacuum being the determining factor of success of failure. The quicker one can sidestep and the faster one can snap headshots from the hip the longer one will live. Undoubtedly their recruiting numbers would drop if they had PCs playing something like Red Orchestra which generally gives the impression "wow, war is hell" and sheer random luck and teamwork are far more important factors in life and death. Doesn't matter how good you are, chances are you'll be gibbed by an unseen frag grenade, or cut in half by an emplaced machine gun while crossing a street.

This sort of stuff also reinforces and facilitates ridiculous lies in the media like "precision bombing" because you've seen in happen in movies a hundred times so it seems plausible

the idea that you can never find someone you can promise to love for life is pretty ridiculous, and even if you believed this, it would be pretty weak of you to think you could never think otherwise w. someone even if this is a Thing You Actually Believe

babyfinland posted:
This sort of stuff also reinforces and facilitates ridiculous lies in the media like "precision bombing" because you've seen in happen in movies a hundred times so it seems plausible

Why isn't this plausible? Military tech is some of the best in existence and I knew a guy who did laser-guided bomb work while in college. (He died in Iraq)

His joke: "I've blown up missiles worth more than my college education."

wow good joke