[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/
[account deactivated]
like that one article you posted briefly notes, the amount of schedule II (narcotic) drugs is regulated by the government: pharmaceutical industries estimate how much oxy or adderall they will need to make at the beginning of the year, the DEA okays it, and they only have that much for the whole year. if their estimate is too low, then a shortage happens. i don't recall if schedule III-IV drugs are handled the same way, but they probably have a similar limit, though possibly less rigid.

among people in the medical biz, they will probably attribute a shortage to doctors playing fast and loose with narcotic scrips so college kids can snort adderall capsules and "indigents" can smoke oxycontins, and also people robbing stores for their narcs. while that probably contributes to a shortage (especially in states like florida), the jacking up of prices makes me think that yeah, it's part of an extortion plan.

for what it's worth though, i do not believe that this is a nationwide problem. i'm in pharmacy school and i stay connected with my colleagues who work in pharmacies, and at least in maine and minnesota there hasn't been any shortage to the scale that you're referring.
[account deactivated]
this little doco is pretty good for understanding the magnitude of "pill-mills" in florida, though unfortunately, most people in medicine seem to miss the part about florida's state government not addressing the problem and instead fixate on how gross the addicts are. it's what makes people working in pharmacies act really dismissively to people who use a doctor's prescription to get oxies; they suspect that they may not really be in pain and are just getting high off them, or worse, they could be doing it with the state's money. now me, i could give a fuck, since opiates are really not that dangerous, especially with a doctor's supervision, and for that matter, oxycodone is dirt cheap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7DHMqHFSB8
the only documentary i need about pharmaceuticals is Drug Store Cowboy, starring Johnny Depp
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
is that real? that seems excessive
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the doco is from 2009 btw, could be a little less by now
reporting from the serious drug-abusing part of the world i can tell you the scene on the ground is that anyone who wants adderall can get it extremely easily
just refilled 90 day scripts for vyvanse (adderall + lysine,) klonopin, ambien, and oxys in tucson az at the first walgreens near my house. took 15 minutes of sitting & waiting
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
send me some of your meds bro
prescription drugs are probably really cool to abuse.

Ragg posted:
prescription drugs are probably really cool to abuse.

yep

discipline posted:
you sound like you're going to die

heh, i should be so lucky. i do like to count them or line them up next to each other some times. one time i decided to eat one pill for every person i hypothetically thought might show up at my funeral, but it didn't end up being very many all told so i just blacked out & woke up again 12 hours later kinda sweaty

lol.
Was buying some trailmix (:dance at my local walgreens and overheard the drug giver saying they were all outa hydrocodone.

This has been a pharmacy update
Got this in a pharm email newsletter today:

President Signs Executive Order on Reducing Prescription Drug Shortages

Noting pharmaceutical drug shortages pose a serious and growing threat to public health, on October 31 President Obama signed an Executive Order directing the FDA to take steps to curtail prescription drug supply shortages. The Executive Order instructs the FDA to use all existing legal authority to require drug manufacturers to provide advance notice of manufacturing issues that could lead to shortages of life sustaining drugs. The Executive Order also directs the FDA to accelerate its regulatory reviews of drug suppliers and manufacturing sites when doing so can help with existing or potential drug shortages. Finally, the Executive Order requires the FDA to report drug stockpiling or price gouging to the Department of Justice (DOJ) for legal enforcement action, as necessary.

Congresswoman Diana DeGette (D-CO) has introduced legislation (H.R. 2245) which would require prescription drug manufacturers to warn FDA early about potential drug shortages. Similar legislation (S. 296) has been introduced in the Senate by Senator Amy Klobuchar (D-MN).

APhA is very concerned about drug shortages a their effects on patients. APhA supports both FDA's work on addressing drug shortages as well as the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) efforts in leading pharmacy on this issue. Additional information on drug shortages is available on FDA's and ASHP's Web sites. Read also, Obama executive order addresses shortages and Drug shortages bill considered by Congress on pharmacist.com.

tapespeed posted:
discipline posted:
you sound like you're going to die

heh, i should be so lucky. i do like to count them or line them up next to each other some times. one time i decided to eat one pill for every person i hypothetically thought might show up at my funeral, but it didn't end up being very many all told so i just blacked out & woke up again 12 hours later kinda sweaty

mail me some of those stimulants & i'll come to your funeral. i'll attend the fuck out of it

[account deactivated]
what does all that mean, i haven't really read any of it because i'm studying
[account deactivated]
uh, so they are using a 'shortage' as a cover for reducing regulatory standards to save money? what the jesus??

discipline posted:
lmao one of the commercials in the documentary is for a show about drinking and touring nightclubs/bars, but that's happy and acceptable of course ahahaha

wait..... taht ISNT happy and acceptable?

[account deactivated]
we live in america.... obliterating our minds through the use of the pinnacle of western medical science is all we have
drugs should only be used recreationally
don't take anesthetics unless you are in dire need please to do otherwise ruins my aesthetic
this is going to continue happening to a lot of stuff at a pace too slow for anyone to really notice it

tapespeed posted:
just refilled 90 day scripts for vyvanse (adderall + lysine,) klonopin, ambien, and oxys in tucson az at the first walgreens near my house. took 15 minutes of sitting & waiting

two of those drugs are schedule 2 and don't come in 90 day scripts!