http://adventureamericas.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/nightmare-in-peru/

Jed & I met in 2005 and have pretty much been inseparable since. Adventure travel has been a huge theme throughout our relationship so I can’t really remember when we first started talking about driving the Americas, but at some point over the years it became less of an idea and more of a plan. Reaching our thirties definitely brought more of a “now or never” feeling. We have been saving for about two years as a preparation for this trip, although I would say the final decision to do it wasn’t an easy one. Not that we worry about the traveling part, but more the returning and starting over, especially leaving behind a job that I actually love (weird, I know) in an economy where jobs are scarce. We will be spending a lot of savings while others our age are putting deposits on houses and starting families. But while this is a fear, it is also a driver because while the standard path is easy to follow there could be so much more in store and you would never know unless you take a chance. There’s a whole world out there, who knows what opportunities we will come upon, what we will learn about people and about ourselves. We only have one life to live, why not live it to the fullest!

we just want this CIA training mission travel disaster to be over!
I too, regularly wish that a woman’s experience of being beaten, whipped and forcibly stripped didn’t degenerate into worse violence and even more terrifying fear.

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

I too, regularly wish that a woman’s experience of being beaten, whipped and forcibly stripped didn’t degenerate into worse violence and even more terrifying fear.

I too regularly wish that.

True question, Is this thread too much like "they were asking for it"?
i was going to make fun of her iphone 5 being stolen but i've got a pretty kickin' smartphone myself and i don't want aboriginals nicking it.
im so happy my girlfriend is a field linguistic so i can tag along with her while someone else pays (for some of it and her expenses at least)
me too
travelling to developing countries is evil
agreed that's why i haven't gone back to india or seen my folks in 10 years
stay in your own country! mind your own business.
tbh i don't entirely believe the person who wrote that blogpost.
[account deactivated]
http://elcomercio.pe/actualidad/1518317/noticia-cusco-turistas-estadounidenses-fueron-agredidos-campesinos-ocongate

"Los campesinos los habrían confundido con abigeos"

Looks like those first world noobs got MURKED by indigenous microstate 4 potential cattle rustling, since the Central State doesnt service those poor ninjas. They didnt identify themselves to the informal power structure in the village, and fled instead. Maybe dont fuckin "rustle cattle" next time, whatever that means

[account deactivated]
lol, this sounds way more realistic, including the superior writing & editing

Below is an intercepted message from facebook. Jed wrote it to his friends in private. Notice that certain things don't match. In general, Jed's story is much more aggressive. He was running a muck in his truck without mentioning that his wife was injured (as the public blog claims). He mentions jumping out and spraying the locals with bear spray (not mentioned in the blog).

Take it for what it's worth, but I assure you it's directly copied and pasted from his facebook message. It will have to be split into 2 posts.

Hello yall , hope your new years was well. Ours was not so good and is pretty much your worse nightmare of travel. After hiking for 4 days in the rain and snow we were heading back to cusco and decided to pull down a dirt road to camp for the night. This was no different then what we had done for thee last 9 months. After drinking a beer two dudes showed up on bikes and we started talking to them, they seemed cool , still nothing out of the usual. By now it was 7 and dark and we noticed a lot of lights coming from the hills and the two guys started whisling to the folks in the hills. In 5 minutes we were surroneded by 20 villagers who were demanding our papers. Not being police I said no , they freaked oout and we jumped into the truck and hualed ass out of their as they through rocks at the trucks. The road dead ended about ten minutes later in a small town . we asked if we could camp in the town and they said no so we turned around. At this point we are pretty freaked out because we have to head back too the mob to get to the road. About 5 minutes down the road we hit oour first road block were the villagers had piled rocks and ssticks in the road. I rammed the yota threw and gunned it around thee corner all wile villagers where throwing rocks at the car . I hit the next road block in a couple of minutes that was made up of three large stones, none rammable so I stoped and yelled tranquillo no prolemo and tried to talk too theem. They came to the drivers side and smashed the window in with a rock and split jennys head open. I gunned it and tried to drive around. Unfourtunatly I hit a 3 foot deep ditch and nearly rrolled the truck. We where stuck. Soon we were swarmed and the villagers began smashing windows lights, everthing. We grabed oour 2 cans or bear spray and jumped of the truck scared shit less. We sprayed down a bunch of folks but there where to many.

Soon we were being smashed with rocks and sticks soo we ran into the fields. Being chased. We ran and fought for about half an hour intilll we were surrounded by about 30 people . At this point i was nocked out and we were all badly beten. The villlages grabed us and took us to there village were we were surroned and interrogated for the rest of the night at gun point they were trying to decide if they should kill us. at one point they shot just past our heads. I thoougth I was about to watch my sister and wife get killed many times that night. We were wipped and beaten through out the night and at some point they made us sign a confesionn that we were drunk and crashed our car. By day brake they pushed us off to our car and 15 villagers waited for the cops to show up so that we would tell them that we had in fact ccrashed our car. While we were being beaten they had rran sacked the truk and stole about 10,000 dollars worth of our shit and most of our documents and bank cards. Windows all smashed lights smashed and everything fucked. One fake village cope showed up and interrogated us and tried to get us to return to the village I refused and at this point I was fucking scared were dead again. Thank god 4 real cops showed up about 10 minutess later wiith semi autos . never been so happy to see Peruvian cops in my llife. We played along with the yes wee were drunk and crashed the car but thee cops new better. It was obvoiuus the truck had been ran sacked and the dumb as villagers had not removed the road block. Thee cops made the villagers push me oout of the ditch , fucking yota drove out, amazing vehicle wait till you see how stuck wee were. The cops drove us out to a local shit hole hospital. We have about a hundered stiches between the three of us. I have 2 and half nocked out teeth, a massive black eye a destroyed lip a small fracture in the base oof my skull and a shit ton oof bruises.meg has a bunch of stiches in her head and so does jenny and both are covered with scratches and bruises from being beaten and whipped . we are all inn a lot of pain and have spent the last two days in the hospital.

We are in cusco now and bought a computer yesterday so we can communicate. At this point I don’t really no what is happening with the rest of our trip. We have to stay here intilll thusday to do police stuff, then we are all going to lima to get jenny a new passport so she can fly home. The stupid fucks could not open our lock box so we have our passports but nothing else but two hidden atm cards. We have decided that we are done with the third world so no Bolivia for us. We will just head to chile . at this point we will decided if we are stable enough to finish this trip. We might just head to bueanous aires and ship home. We don’t know. I am not sure about Dakar, I want to go but I might need to come back to do some moore police stuff. I just want some fucking village suffereiing to go on now. So I will do what I can to make sure that happens. I have very little faith iin Peruvian cops but there seems to be a lot of pissed ooff people about this one. I also don’t know how long its going to take to get the truck back as it is being held hostage in front of the police station about two hours from hear in the middle of town with no windows, should be interesting see whats left in the truck when we get it back. Thenn of course we have to get all new windows and fix some stuff. So yeah we are happy to be alive but really fucked up mentally and physically. Both the girls woke up numerous times last night screaming. Not sure if camping will happen again for a while. Meg agrees that hanging around a lot of positive people at the Dakar might do some good but we cant commit yet. At this point we are just day to day. I have never had to fight for my life and ii have never seen such violence and I have never felt like I was going to die like that. This is your mothers worse nightmare. I have not told my mom the full extent, she thinks our truck was broken into. I don’t want her to worry needlessly about my sister intill she is home. So she will find out when jenny returns to the states. So iam trying to keep the face book lo key for now. Megs mom knows all. For now I would be happy to go back to the village and do some killing with soe oof my green beray buddys but I don’t think that will happen. Any ho carefull where you camp and I will fill you in on all the gory details latter. jed

I dunno what happened so im just gonna laugh at this people. Good shit op.

Damn thry getting superowned http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/257036-Advice-vibes-need-for-some-Jackson-WY-locals-who-are-in-trouble/page11 Life is so cruel.. It's like Althusser says..
yeah if the biggest problem after getting beaten and attacked is buying a computer and mulling over whether to go to argentina or west africa then it's probably not going to be the end of your life.
i cant believe they got like $20k+ in donations and they're thinking like Oh i guess we should continue our Amazing Journey

Crow posted:

Damn thry getting superowned http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/257036-Advice-vibes-need-for-some-Jackson-WY-locals-who-are-in-trouble/page11 Life is so cruel.. It's like Althusser says..

Damn reading that thread makes me REAL proud to be a rhizzonehead. It's almost as good as not postin at all... because you know what we say at the Rhizzone. . The internet makes you stupid!

"We were drinking two beers between the three of us because it was my 30th birthday and we were celebrating."
What a bunch of idiots. We were attacked by locals and not drunk driving, I swear officer!
^arg beaten like an irresponsible american tourist^

don't drink and drive, kids

Crow posted:

the yota

Crow posted:

stay in your own country! mind your own business.

what about journalism and supporting third world revolutions?

i suppose we could materially support local variants of both w/o directly visiting the locations...

Hahahahaha... And this, right here, is THE reason I hate the internet. Every fucking douchebag in the world thinks a keyboard = the planet owes them something for participating.

Go fuck yourself you stupid jong bitch. I'd only buy you a shot if I got to pour it into your open eyeballs, then shove you into a running wood chipper dick-first.
Go fuck yourself you stupid jong bitch.
Wow, Your life must really suck if you think being a dipshit on the interwebs is incredibly fun! I have been hiking/skinning/crushing powder in the tetons for about 45 days already this season. I thought that was lame, but thanks to you I feel like much less of a JONG.

8in on top of yesterdays 7in might be incredibly fun, or I guess I could stick around here and see what kind of fun your having.

Oh, and fuck these goddamn rich kids and their stupid ass donations. If they didn't ask for money to bail them out, maybe people would have felt sorry for them. That story seems VERY suspect as well. Pushing 30K from what I heard. Hopefully they get laughed back to VT where they fucking belong. Jacksons Yeast Infection is growing thicker mucus by the year.

Well, theres my fun on the interwebs for the day. Catching the bus to JHMR to ride deep slackcountry pow. Have fun JONGS, and when I get home there had better be shit loads of negative responses directed at ME.
this reminds me of the herzog movie where he goes to antarctica and one of the people he interviews is this boring lady whose had all kinds of poverty tourist adventures where she did crazy things like travel in the back of a truck without seatbelts on. he plants the camera in front of her for a long time and shes telling all these stories and just when you think he's going to let her keep going forever his narration cuts in, over her story, and he says "she kept going forever with all of these stories of no consequence" and then does a jump cut to the ice shelves or something.
Snitches get stiches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8e6EcVW80&feature=player_detailpage#t=200s not exactly as i remembered it. sort of like the film itself, which, i claim,

Crow posted:

I USED TO POST ON THAT FORUM!

Lysenko posted:

I USED TO POST ON THAT FORUM!

Stupid jong bitch spotted.

damn they got a lot of money. also that lady who wants to write about sexism in games got like 150k. i think im gonna start a blog and make some stupid shit up that appeals to liberal sensibilities and get mad rich. also send me pants

babyhueypnewton posted:

damn they got a lot of money. also that lady who wants to write about sexism in games got like 150k. i think im gonna start a blog and make some stupid shit up that appeals to liberal sensibilities and get mad rich. also send me pants

tim wise already has that market cornered, good luck.

time wizard
So party while you can, but mind the increasingly loud clock ticking away in the corners of your consciousness.

The clock that reminds you how little time you and yours have left.

Not much more now.

Tick, tock.

Tick, tock.

Tick.

Tock.

hahah that jong bitch thread is too funny

Dude, that's nothing. I lived in Jackson since '92, probably well before your time. One year, I took like a whole year off of work and hitched down to Patagonia (I was meeting my bro's Alex Lowe and Doug Combs down there for some skiing and climbing). Anyway, I didn't take any nice shit. Back then we were all skiing on straight 210's with Ramer bindings anyway. Not even the mexicans would want those. I had a pack with a rope and a sleeping bag, and a few cams sewn to the inside of my clothes so no one could take them. But they just thought the rope was for cattle rustling with the gauchos, and I definitely didn't have a computer. We didn't have blogs. We just saved our stories for the chicks in the coach on thursday nites.
But there I was, TOTALLY dirtbagging it through Peru, Colombia, El Salvadore and Cuba. At night I'd just hang out under the stars with the mexican friends I made on my way down. They were totally cool with me, because I was totally cool. I wasn't all like up in your face bro I'm a rich american. They new I was just living paycheck to paycheck in my parents' guesthouse outside of Wilson.
Shit, I got robbed more times than you, but it was totally cool, caused I'd just let them take what they wanted. No one ever beat me up or nothin. I even got raped a couple of times, but i was so core that it didn't bother me. I just kept on cruising.
The whole trick was to be totally cool, like "yeah, amigo, I totally get the oppression of the US government and shit, but I'm just a bro like you, and I'm just toatally checking out your country and shit." You know, I never needed money from strangers or an extra passport. If someone took my docies, I'd just buy them back with the cams I had sown into my pant legs. So it was totally cool. Not like these kids who got beat up down there. Shit dude, you'ven got the right approach, not like those beaters. You're probably like I was back before I'd been in jackson for 20 years and totally knew the deal. BUt it's cool bro. Let me know if yoiu ever want someone to show you around cody bowl or granite canyon or something. I've totally been skiing that scene since before they dropped the ropes adn let it get oeverrun by beaters.

Dude, that's nothing. I lived in Jacksonville since '92