http://gawker.com/5980558/pastor-who-left-sanctimonious-tip-gets-waitress-fired-from-applebees-claims-her-reputation-was-ruined

okay so the tubes got a bit mad that some pastor didn't leave an automatic 18% gratuity at a big group party thing. as you can see, the pastor wrote a jerk thing about how they give 10% to god so why should the server get 18%.

it's been making the rounds and everyone is dumping on the pastor and totally baffled at how this could be considered acceptable behaviour, so i look into it. anyway the pastor is a black woman.

one of the whisper campaigns against black america is that they don't tip and that they are assholes for not doing so. servers call black people "canadians" or "australians" so that they can put a veneer on their racism. the fact that black people, on average, earn much less than white people due to structural racism isn't brought up at all. so white people are good because they pad their bills with stolen money, but black people not tipping is a national news story.

anyway, there's a lot of crying that this waitress, chelsea (a white woman), got fired for posting the bill on the internet. but is there a case to be made that she was a racist snitch?

Edited by getfiscal ()

then maybe she should have written "I refuse to tip until reparations are made to black america"
I think the company was correct to fire the waitress considering it's pretty unprofessional to post customers' personal info of any kind publicly
big group party thing = $34.93, Xtians really know how to party

karphead posted:

big group party thing = $34.93, Xtians really know how to party

this was after the party members requested the waitress split the check up to try to get around the mandatory gratuity for large parties.

there's really no excuse for not tipping in that situation. you've entered the restaurant and been served your food. you don't get to change the terms of the deal after you've eaten

Furthermore, what kind of pastor gives god only 10%. I give god 69% and I ain't even religious!
as David Grab Ya Lady points out in Debt: The Welf of Nationz: The $crewed Up Click Story pt. 1, debts, obligations to pay, typically imply a rough measure of equality, such as that could not possibly exist between a single natural man and the Divine, or between a man taking a wife and a family giving up a daughter. in the same sense that a tithe or a bride-payment is in many ways an acknowledgement that what has been given can not possibly be repaid in any earthly sense, so is the tip an acknowledgement that refills of coffee, prompt service, the entire environment of the modern restaurant are in a sense irreducible to the common vulgar stuff of money. you would expect a priest, of all people, to understand this type of relationship. you give 18% because you also give 10%. the amount is literally and figuratively immaterial, spiritual.
jesus people in general dont tip and always feel the need to write obnoxious shit on the bill like "heres a tip get a real job" or a bible verse or an invitation to jo ors eomthign black people dont tip either but thats because they are poor and dont really have any responsibility to subsidize white people
also lol apparently those people go to that applebees every week i bet they consume a lot of bodily fluids
my favorite part is the pastor demanded a new staff before the next time she returns to dine at applebees (one week later lol)

Panopticon posted:

I think the company was correct to fire the waitress considering it's pretty unprofessional to post customers' personal info of any kind publicly

what public info is there in that pic

scientific and popular publications have presented diverse arguments for the authenticity that jesus did not tip at the last supper
i do agree OP that it's pretty damn offensive to refer to black people, or any people, as australians (especially) or canadians
I consider myself a religious man but I feel comfortable saying fuck that self righteous pathetic excuse of a pastor. And fuck applebee's. Never eating there again. Kinda sad how quickly they'll burn one of their own just because shit blows back on some ghetto ass cheap fuck "pastor" who wants to take revenge by having everyone fired. Grow some nuts applebees. Tell that fat cunt to fuck all the way off and re-hire Welch. peace be with you.

ilmdge posted:

Panopticon posted:

what public info is there in that pic

the name is "private" because its a shitty behavior performed in a public setting that negatively impacts the livelihood of others and therefore she should not be held accountable it sounds backward but actually its the American Way ™

to think this whole fiasco couldve been avoided had she just put a simple little "fuck you cracker" or nothing at all on it
i waited tables for 2 years in DC (on & off) and did not notice any racial tipping disparity. except for subcontinentals i was lucky to get 10 percent out of them
incidentally just before i was waiting tables i lived with a gross and childish man who also happened to be indian and probably picked up a bit of the ol' racism from the experience but i'm sure that had nothing to do with it

ilmdge posted:

well the whole thing was public on reddit, if you mean what info, well the venue, the price of the meal, that the customer was a "pastor", and the message the customer wrote.

can we identify the customer from this? probably not. but that's not the point: the waitress did a very unprofessional thing in taking that pic and posting it online.

DildoMalone posted:

i agree that it was shitty behaviour

The funniest part was that pastor was a homeless single mother at one point, when she let 'jesus in'. Youd think this experience would show her the import of Christ's holy immaterialism & the lifeline that is in making a living in just getting by. But I guess its more important to count your pennies & hold on to that resentment, eh lil one?
she gives 10% of all her income to her church

a gratuity of 18% of the total price of a single meal is not even in the same category of expenditure???
I bet if I told her I was going to take a ninth of her income instead of a tenth, she'd be relieved.
W4f7KiiB6dM

Panopticon posted:

can we identify the customer from this? probably not.

the picture in the op is cropped

you cant read the first name particularly well but there cant be that many pastors with an a name and the last name bell in st louis

hm, the cropped version is what was put on reddit tho
http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comments/17i382/my_mistake_sir_im_sure_jesus_will_pay_for_my_rent/
the plot thickens...

Edited by ilmdge ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Yeah! Yeah!! You're damn fucking right. BIG MISTAKE POSTING THAT SHIT ONLINE. TOTALLY UNFUCKINGPROFESSIONAL. UNEMPLOYMENT GET, LADY. IF YUORE FUCKING LUCKY..

do you think it had no bearing on how professional her employer would view her after doing that? idk, i just don't think people should automatically sympathise with the "underdog" in any situation when there may be important considerations in the wider context. people really ought to be fired for being unprofessional in my opinion! like i used to go to work in combats instead of black trousers and read books in front of customers, that should have got me fired but the managers were incompetent or something.

Panopticon posted:

tpaine posted:

Yeah! Yeah!! You're damn fucking right. BIG MISTAKE POSTING THAT SHIT ONLINE. TOTALLY UNFUCKINGPROFESSIONAL. UNEMPLOYMENT GET, LADY. IF YUORE FUCKING LUCKY..

do you think it had no bearing on how professional her employer would view her after doing that? idk, i just don't think people should automatically sympathise with the "underdog" in any situation when there may be important considerations in the wider context. people really ought to be fired for being unprofessional in my opinion! like i used to go to work in combats instead of black trousers and read books in front of customers, that should have got me fired but the managers were incompetent or something.

Well, yeah. Here's what I'm thinking: C, E-flat, and G go into a bar. The bartender says, “Sorry, but we don’t serve minors.” So E-flat leaves, and C and G have an open fifth between them. After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished, and G is out flat. F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough. D comes in and heads for the bathroom, saying, “Excuse me, I’ll just be a second.” Then A comes in, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor. Then the bartender notices B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and says, “Get out! You’re the seventh minor I’ve found in this bar tonight.”

E-flat comes back the next night in a three-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender says, “You’re looking sharp tonight. Come on in, this could be a major development.” Sure enough, E-flat soon takes off his suit and everything else and is au natural.

Eventually C sobers up and realizes in horror that he’s under arrest. C is brought to trial, found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to 10 years of D.S. without Coda at an upscale correctional facility.

[account deactivated]