http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

Israel has admitted for the first time that it has been giving Ethiopian Jewish immigrants birth-control injections, often without their knowledge or consent.

The government had previously denied the practice but the Israeli Health Ministry’s director-general has now ordered gynaecologists to stop administering the drugs. According a report in Haaretz, suspicions were first raised by an investigative journalist, Gal Gabbay, who interviewed more than 30 women from Ethiopia in an attempt to discover why birth rates in the community had fallen dramatically.

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.

The drug in question is thought to be Depo-Provera, which is injected every three months and is considered to be a highly effective, long-lasting contraceptive.

Nearly 100,000 Ethiopian Jews have moved to Israel under the Law of Return since the 1980s, but their Jewishness has been questioned by some rabbis. Last year, the Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who also holds the health portfolio, warned that illegal immigrants from Africa “threaten our existence as a Jewish and democratic state”.

Haaretz published an extract from a letter sent by the Ministry of Health to units administering the drug. Doctors were told “not to renew prescriptions for Depo Provera for women of Ethiopian origin if for any reason there is concern that they might not understand the ramifications of the treatment”.

Sharona Eliahu Chai, a lawyer for the Association of Civil Rights in Israel (ACRI), said: “Findings from investigations into the use of Depo Provera are extremely worrisome, raising concerns of harmful health policies with racist implications in violation of medical ethics. The Ministry of Health’s director-general was right to act quickly and put forth new guidelines.”

what a bunch of jerks
this world is a never ending punchline
[account deactivated]
that sounds a lot less ironic
[account deactivated]
this story is years old
[account deactivated]
i like the fact that israel's government is influenced by glorified wizards
like you can get out of serving in the IDF if you become one of those cloistered wizards the israelis have whose entire job is studying the torah and trying to bring about the apocalypse via creation of the arcane portents
http://www.haaretz.com/do-not-have-children-if-they-won-t-be-healthy-1.124913

Zionism has a long history with eugenics.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
nice gaschambering.
[account deactivated]
nobody here is an antisemite except probably that guy with the Francis Parker yockey av
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
and hitler I guess
it really is common knowledge at this point that israeli ashkenazim sterilize black people against their will, no one really cares i guess
I care

discipline posted:

guys check out these jews. they are praying in a weird way! they study a stupid savage book and eat in a funny way I do not understand. they refuse to be soldiers in a racist state! did you know they also secretly plot the downfall of the human race? gosh look at these wizards. they belong in a zoo.

i'm willing to support someone if they don't become an israeli soldier for reasons that are more justifiable than "i don't want to multiclass and lose a level of spellcaster"

[account deactivated]
look at all the great advancements to society studying this ancient religious text has brought, such as _____________________
i just kept poring over the torah until i grokked transistors. we've got the koran under a mass spectrometer until we figure out this whole AIDS thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phylactery

Phylactery may refer to:

An amulet or charm; worn for its magical or supernatural power.

Fantasy

In Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, an object used by a Lich to contain its soul, protecting it from death.
In Dragon Age, the Bioware-created RPG series, it is a vial of a mage's blood which the Templars use to track the mage.

History

English name for Tefillin, a pair of small, black, leather boxes containing scrolls of parchment inscribed with verses from the Torah, which are worn by observant Jews during weekday morning prayers.

I'm afraid Gary Gygax is the real anti-semite here
so should destitute ethiopian refugees really be in the mini-me business. this might be the most humanitarian thing israel does.

gyrofry posted:

and hitler I guess

uhhhh... mods?

[account deactivated]
Nah he died Friday
Rip
http://www.usccb.org/bible/ezra/9
it's okay though because my mother in law told me the ethiopians get a thousand shekels per family member per week and they shit on the sidewalk and in doorways and keep goats in their rent-free apartments and they aren't even real jews anyway, who the hell heard of a black Jew
oh wait brendan o'neill strikes again i fucking love this guy http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100200874/how-true-is-it-that-israel-deceitfully-gave-ethiopian-jews-birth-control-injections/

Haaretz says the Ethiopian women were "coaxed" or "strongly convinced" to have the Depo-Provera shot, not forced.

Yes, Israeli officials screwed up in their treatment of these Ethiopian women; no woman should ever feel pressured, even slightly, into taking birth control, especially by those who hold the key to her ability to start a new life. (This is something that all those respectable, Western, condom-waving NGOs in Africa should also bear in mind.)

littlegreenpills posted:

who the hell heard of a black Jew

Slashie, duh

littlegreenpills posted:

The_Schliski posted:

littlegreenpills posted:

on npr this afternoon there was a dude calling in from egypt denouncing islamists and said "they cut off people's hands when they steal, they are not true muslims, the koran says only to nick the hand" and two thoughts crossed my mind: first, why are we cutting people for stealing at all, and two why couldn't an omnipotent intelligence create clear language and pedantic definitions.
basically most of the problems in the world would go away if an infinite intelligence was capable of being half as clear on the law as the united states senate