speaking of games, did you know no paradox game permits you to start as the serbian empire? the latest start date in crusader kings 2 is 1337, 9 years before its foundation, and the earliest start date in europa universalis 3 is 1399, 28 years after its dissolution. conspiracy.

elemennop posted:

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
Playing a video game is like more of a chore than work, I don’t understand how people can fill their time with it.

i guess you wouldn't understand that, considering it seems like you've never dedicated yourself to anything at all

A fair criticism my friend, somewhat undermined by the fact it’s in defence of video games.

But no I take your point, irony is the gilded cage of those who’ve come to etc. etc, i’ll get right on it

elemennop posted:

Playing a video game is like more of a chore than work, I don’t understand how people can fill their time with it.

i guess you wouldn't understand that, considering it seems like you've never dedicated yourself to anything at all

haha damn sick burn bro

Squalid posted:

elemennop posted:

haha damn sick burn bro

No he’s right……I’m adrift at the bottom of the world, a man out of time and place

If only I had my own Serbia to dream and die for

elemennop posted:

A fair criticism my friend, somewhat undermined by the fact it’s in defence of video games.

But no I take your point, irony is the gilded cage of those who’ve come to etc. etc, i’ll get right on it

i haven't played video games in years, and there's a lot more productive and rewarding uses of anyone's time. but let's be honest here, you're not doing any of those either

jools posted:

elemennop posted:

elemennop posted:

i haven't played video games in years, and there's a lot more productive and rewarding uses of anyone's time. but let's be honest here, you're not doing any of those either

Yeah but sometimes it’s fun to be annoying and dramatic right? Even if I don’t play video games I’ve noticed a lot of very intelligent posters here do so fair enough.

It’s more of a general cultural criticism because of how toxic all that call of duty, Medal of War bullshit is.

Plus the idea of us and our peers living safe, healthy lives and escaping from that by participating in renditions of humanity’s biggest tragedies’ strikes me as somewhat morbid and ungrateful

Like if I went back to 1942 and showed my grandad that his decendents were fat, lazy and filled their days flitting in and out of battles that he experienced as a living hell, he probably would have said “well stone me dead and call me a galah! Fuck these little faggots I’m gonna join the japs!”

Of course he was right, see my up-vote. I guess the bro does make it seem sarcastic but when a bro deserves props im going to give em to im
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Yeah I bought crash bandicoot and only got halfway through the 1st level before throwing in the trash, I’m not gonna pay good money to buy a simulation of my walk to school y’know?

elemennop posted:

elemennop posted:

Yeah but sometimes it’s fun to be annoying and dramatic right? Even if I don’t play video games I’ve noticed a lot of very intelligent posters here do so fair enough.

It’s more of a general cultural criticism because of how toxic all that call of duty, Medal of War bullshit is.

Plus the idea of us and our peers living safe, healthy lives and escaping from that by participating in renditions of humanity’s biggest tragedies’ strikes me as somewhat morbid and ungrateful

Like if I went back to 1942 and showed my grandad that his decendents were fat, lazy and filled their days flitting in and out of battles that he experienced as a living hell, he probably would have said “well stone me dead and call me a galah! Fuck these little faggots I’m gonna join the japs!”

uh, ww2 vets were making war movies pretty much the second the war was over. even in the east, there was a shit ton of fucking ww2 movies. a lot of it was glorifying the battles in unrealistic ways. but fuck, it seems a lot of them preferred that those simplified narratives some "gritty", "realistic" shit, which didn't start coming out till much later i believe.

listen, criticize games all you want from a variety of valid directions, but uh, considering your auto-biography, let's just say you finding anything but posting a chore isn't surprising.

elemennop posted:

elemennop posted:
elemennop posted:

uh, ww2 vets were making war movies pretty much the second the war was over. even in the east, there was a shit ton of fucking ww2 movies. a lot of it was glorifying the battles in unrealistic ways. but fuck, it seems a lot of them preferred that those simplified narratives some "gritty", "realistic" shit, which didn't start coming out till much later i believe.

listen, criticize games all you want from a variety of valid directions, but uh, considering your auto-biography, let's just say you finding anything but posting a chore isn't surprising.

Not quite sure how you extrapolate this from me stating I don’t like video games or TV.

I cherish the sun, the sea, my lovely girlfriend, my mum, my dad, books, your mum, movies…

Maybe it’s just that video games are like weed: they’re both all good but “gamer culture” and “weed culture” tend to grate

Also I think those movies of the time may have had a touch more legitimacy because they were viewed and appreciated by an audience who were more likely to have experienced genuine sacrifice on an individual or communal level.

[account deactivated]
I think a tactical shooter about being the raf is kind of pointless since they were really bad at tactical shooting and most of what they did was not tactical shooting.

that said I remember playing a "game" which was a series of dialog boxes some dude hacked together in vb, and you were supposed to be stalin orchestrating the first four or so five year plans. I think a game that was actually about different types of economies, like victoria 2 without kludgy weird shit would be super cool.

stegosaurus posted:

I think a tactical shooter about being the raf is kind of pointless since they were really bad at tactical shooting and most of what they did was not tactical shooting.

that said I remember playing a "game" which was a series of dialog boxes some dude hacked together in vb, and you were supposed to be stalin orchestrating the first four or so five year plans. I think a game that was actually about different types of economies, like victoria 2 without kludgy weird shit would be super cool.

Um trigger warning dude?

All this careless language of ‘games’ reminded me that I’m pretty sure you schooled me on the pool table on superbowl night

They don't just call him Paul Newman because he makes a fine, fine salad dressing.
all games are boring

therefore just make a game about production chains and nothing else, like just about checking wage levels and location of resources and tax laws state control over those taxes ability to transfer capital ability to invest capital etc etc etc

then nothing else at all

then it will only take 10 minutes and it will be socially useful

anything that requires staring at a screen for longer then that probably causes school shootings or something or at least becoming mega dork

stegosaurus posted:

Um trigger warning dude?

All this careless language of ‘games’ reminded me that I’m pretty sure you schooled me on the pool table on superbowl night

I sure did. you were drunker than i was though. so its a draw

FAILAIDS posted:

this is my shit

[account deactivated]
Stalinist Pumpkin World

for some people (like myself) it is work -- for I am a pro gamer.

i think it's really funny that pro gamers are like 19 years old and make 6 figures from shouting video game acronyms irl and putting them on t-shirts
i just downloaded civilization five
i too am a pro gamer

jools posted:

speaking of games, did you know no paradox game permits you to start as the serbian empire? the latest start date in crusader kings 2 is 1337, 9 years before its foundation, and the earliest start date in europa universalis 3 is 1399, 28 years after its dissolution. conspiracy.

you can start as serbia in vicky 2, scrub

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i just downloaded civilization five

delete it and download IV instead

y
its aggravating to play if you've played civ iv cos iv is so much better. little things like the animations taking forever, the combat sucking, the city states being broken, religion being pointless, etc. badly designed

stegosaurus posted:

its aggravating to play if you've played civ iv cos iv is so much better. little things like the animations taking forever, the combat sucking, the city states being broken, religion being pointless, etc. badly designed

KINDA SOUNDS LIKE REAL LIFE DON'T IT?

ok so i downloaded 4 now im installing all the millions of patches n expansiosn n shit

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

ok so i downloaded 4 now im installing all the millions of patches n expansiosn n shit

ok, now do yourself a favor, uninstall that, and install civilization 3.

jools posted:

i know you're trolling but you know that their next game coming out is called "Serbia: The Empire of Dreams" and is a game that centres on serbia and also includes a free pimsleur serbian language cd.

getfiscal posted:

jools posted:

i know you're trolling but you know that their next game coming out is called "Serbia: The Empire of Dreams" and is a game that centres on serbia and also includes a free pimsleur serbian language cd.

lol

Lykourgos posted:

what games have you made if you are a game maker

also how about a game adaptation of the anabasis that plays like a mix of castles 2 and a tbs?

They already made a game based on the anabasis.