snipe

mongosteen posted:

discipline posted:

the pope is not an elected official reflecting the will of the people he leads. his job is to guide his flock towards accepting and submitting to the will of god

i like that democracy and anti-hierarchy cease to be important when we're talking about some feudalist charlatan who, even if there is a god, cannot be demonstrated to have any objectively greater knowledge of him

I like how you just assume that democracy and anti hierarchy are supposed to be paramount when it comes to politics/religion. Actually, I don't like it at all, you're totally wrong. I wonder why you would support them over more noble ideals; perhaps you're low class and have no social standing, and democracy and anarchy are just your selfish, amoral ways of trying to get a leg up at humanity's expense.

I guarantee you that the pope knows more about catholicism than some random commoner off the street. Hierarchy allows great coordination of efforts and helps structure relationships between individuals. Stop making bad assumptions about good practices.

the pope knows more about catholicism but he doesn't know a whit more about god

mongosteen posted:

now you've got it!

mongosteen posted:

Actually he does know more about God, but he's also wrong about a lot of things relating to God due to the fact he's a Catholic. At any rate, the head of that church is selected in a more suitable manner than simply having every man and his dog cast a vote; that's the point, the lack of democracy is not a fault.

yet another liquor-gus drunkpost attacking dog-voting :rolleyes:
the edicts of the catholic church are based on their claim that they are following the orders of god. since they are not, their claims to authority are baseless. suck it dry

Lykourgos posted:

mongosteen posted:

Actually he does know more about God

prove it

its too bad that all religions are frauds because i could really go for some magic powers

mongosteen posted:

the edicts of the catholic church are based on their claim that they are following the orders of god. since they are not, their claims to authority are baseless. suck it dry

the catholic church, like every organization, is made of broken, fallen humans. they have studied human spiritual life in detail, informed by revelations they believe come from god, and humbly suggest certain courses of action that are guided by love. you are free to ignore them. if you do, you may notice that's when you are most in pain.

mongosteen posted:

I totally agree that the Catholic faith is mistaken; I don't believe Jesus was the son of God, and I don't believe the bible is a true account of divinity. Where does that leave us? Democracy and anti-hierarchism are still unwise ideals that should be moderated and/or countered.

mongosteen posted:

Lykourgos posted:

mongosteen posted:

Actually he does know more about God

prove it

How would you have me do that? Arrange a debate between the pontiff and some obnoxious american who calls himself irish and catholic? Or prepare a test and have them take it? Good luck arranging that. Bottom line is, the cardinals would have spent years studying classical greek theological documents, so at the very least they would be familiar with the true teachings of aristotle and plato, even if they are required to conclude that the bible is the controlling authority.

i was thinking more like a wizard battle

getfiscal posted:

mongosteen posted:

the catholic church, like every organization, is made of broken, fallen humans. they have studied human spiritual life in detail, informed by revelations they believe come from god, and humbly suggest certain courses of action that are guided by love. you are free to ignore them. if you do, you may notice that's when you are most in pain.

i dont think so timothy 3:1

http://www.freep.com/article/20130222/NEWS05/130222103/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resignation-Vatican-gay-sex-scandal

The Italian media is reporting that Pope Benedict XVI resigned after receiving the results of an internal investigation, delivered in a 300-page, two-volume dossier, that laid bare a sordid tale of blackmail, corruption and gay sex at the Vatican.

The respected Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported Friday that the report stamped "Pontifical Secret," contained "an exact map of the mischief and the bad fish" inside the Holy See.

The newspaper said the findings of the nine-month investigation, headed by Spanish cardinal, Julian Herranz , with the assistance of Cardinal Salvatore De Giorgi, former archbishop of Palermo, and Slovak cardinal Jozef Tomko, was delivered to the pope on Dec. 17, 2012.

"It was on that day, with those papers on his desk, that Benedict XVI took the decision he had mulled over for so long,'' the newspaper said.

La Repubblica said the panel drew upon "dozens and dozens" of interviews with bishops, cardinals and lay people. It said the pope was kept apprised of the investigation in weekly meetings from April until December. The final, bound in red leather, is being kept in a safe in the pope's Vatican quarters, the newspaper said.

A similar story was carried by Panorama, a conservative weekly.

"What's coming out is a very detailed X-ray of the Roman Curia that does not spare even the closest collaborators of the pope," respected Vatican expert Ignazio Ingrao writes in Panorama. "The pope was no stranger to the intrigues, but he probably did not know that under his pontificate there was such a complex network and such intricate chains of personal interests and unmentionable relationships."

A Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, has refused to comment on the reports.

"Neither the cardinals' commission nor I will make comments to confirm or deny the things that are said about this matter. Let each one assume his or her own responsibilities. We shall not be following up on the observations that are made about this,'' Lombardi said, according to the German news agency Deutsche Presse-Agentur.

In announcing his resignation Feb. 11, Benedict said that he no longer had the "strength of mind and body" to carry on. A conclave will select a new pope next month.

Lombardi has indicated that Benedict would meet with the three cardinals before stepping down Feb. 28, in one of his final private audiences.

La Repubblica reported that the pope would personally hand the confidential files to his successor, with the hope he will be ''strong, young and holy'' enough to take the necessary action.

The investigation was triggered last May when the pope's butler, Paolo Gabriele, was arrested and charged with having stolen and leaked papal correspondence that depicted the Vatican as a hotbed of intrigue.

The papers were published in a blockbuster book. The butler was convicted in October of aggravated theft, and later pardoned.

The three-man panel, according to La Repubblica, discovered an underground gay network whose members organized sexual meetings in several locations, including a villa outside Rome, a sauna in Rome's Cuarto Miligo distirct and even in a beauty salon inside the Vatican.

The gatherings, in turn, left them open to blackmail from people outside the Vatican, the report said, according to the newspaper.

La Repubblica quoted an unidentified man described as ''very close'' to the authors of the dossier as saying it contained information about violations of the sixth and seventh commandments, which forbid adultery and stealing.

The British newspaper, The Guardian, notes that the sixth commandment also "is linked in Catholic doctrine to the proscribing of homosexual acts."

The U.S. website, The Daily Beast, reports that investigative journalist Carmello Abbate went undercover with a hidden camera in 2010 in Rome to produce an expose called “Good Nights Out for Gay Priests.”

The scandal has erupted as the pope is clearing the decks of his pontificate, tweaking the rules of the conclave, finessing the religious rites used to launch the next papacy and making some eyebrow-raising final appointments before he retires next week.

The Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano said in editions published late Friday that Benedict had signed a decree earlier in the week making some changes to the papal installation Mass, separating out the actual rite of installation from the liturgy itself.

He is also studying the text of a separate document governing the rules of the conclave, though it's not known if it will address the thorny issue of whether the election can begin earlier than March 15, by some interpretations the earliest the vote can start under the current rules.

And on Friday, the Vatican announced Benedict had transferred a top official in the secretariat of state, Monsignor Ettore Balestrero, to Colombia.

Some of the documents leaked in the midst of the "Vatileaks" scandal concerned differences of opinion about the level of financial transparency the Holy See should provide about the bank, the Institute for Religious Works. However, Balestrero himself wasn't named in any significant way in the leaks.

Lombardi said Balestrero's transfer had been months in the works, was a clear promotion and had nothing to do with what the Vatican considers baseless reporting.

mongosteen posted:

getfiscal posted:

mongosteen posted:

i dont think so timothy 3:1

Here is a trustworthy saying: Whoever aspires to be an overseer desires a noble task.

ya make me mod.

UK cardinal faces claims of 'inappropriate behaviour'
The Vatican is looking into allegations against Cardinal Keith O'Brien

O'Brien, who heads the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland, was taking advice from lawyers after British newspaper The Observer reported that three priests and a former priest have filed complaints to the Vatican alleging that the cardinal approached them in an inappropriate manner.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/02/24/uk-cardinal-inappropriate-behaviour.html

funny how this sort of anti-gay bigotry is just fine with anti-catholics.

right on brother. we all know gay sex is fun and undoubtedly feels good, but it's a personal sin that one can repent from. it's building an identity around it that angers and denies God, and your just punishment in the form of emotionless promiscuity (bum pirates) or explosive, turbulent, angst-ridden codependency (carpet munchers) is a natural consequence thereof
lol @ all this, as a fervent catholic
jesuit priests can still drink alcohol and smoke weed, right? pretty sure i found my calling.

He is scheduled to fly from Rome to the papal summer residence of Castel Gandolfo. The public will be able to catch one final glimpse of him before the official end of his papacy at 1900 GMT, at which point the Swiss Guard will also leave the residence.

http://www.dw.de/pope-benedict-xvi-enters-final-hours-before-officially-stepping-aside/a-16634661

13 hours until pope zero

i prefer cherry pope
a good pope

In October 2011 Cardinal Turkson called for the establishment of a “global public authority” and a “central world bank” to rule over financial institutions that have become outdated and often ineffective in dealing fairly with crises. The document, Towards Reforming the International Financial and Monetary Systems in the Context of a Global Public Authority was very specific, calling for taxation measures on financial transactions. It notes that “The economic and financial crisis which the world is going through calls everyone, individuals and peoples, to examine in depth the principles and the cultural and moral values at the basis of social coexistence,” it said. The document condemned what it called “the idolatry of the market” as well as a “neoliberal thinking” that it said looked exclusively at technical solutions to economic problems. “In fact, the crisis has revealed behaviours like selfishness, collective greed and hoarding of goods on a great scale,” it said, adding that world economics needed an “ethic of solidarity” among rich and poor nations.
i watched the pope leave the vatican and fly off to new adventures. it was pretty metal.
the pope flew off to hide from the consequences of the international child rape conspiracy he presided over

mongosteen posted:

the pope flew off to hide from the consequences of the international child rape conspiracy he presided over

what percent of children are abused in any family setting... like... i dunno... 2%? let's say 2%. there are 1.2 billion catholics. that means there were 24 million abused catholics. what percent of those will be abused by church members... probably a high number too. now in how many instances will this be mishandled... probably a few percentage points, right? that's still thousands of cases. let's not get carried away and think it's a central problem.

the obvious answer is to reduce the number of catholics

littlegreenpills posted:

the obvious answer is to reduce the number of catholics

better fewer, but better

getfiscal posted:

mongosteen posted:

what percent of children are abused in any family setting... like... i dunno... 2%? let's say 2%. there are 1.2 billion catholics. that means there were 24 million abused catholics. what percent of those will be abused by church members... probably a high number too. now in how many instances will this be mishandled... probably a few percentage points, right? that's still thousands of cases. let's not get carried away and think it's a central problem.

wut

mongosteen posted:

getfiscal posted:

mongosteen posted:

wut

it's ok that the church covers up pedophilia because the number of ruined lives is an insignificant statistic. also, fair-weather faith is cool for lapsed catholics in times of papist transitions.

it's not okay but we have to expect sins from people, we're fallen. most people do horrible things... abuse children, lie to their spouses, have same-sex relations, are jealous of a promotion of a colleague, etc.

getfiscal posted:

it's not okay but we have to expect sins from people, we're fallen. most people do horrible things... abuse children, lie to their spouses, have same-sex relations, are jealous of a promotion of a colleague, etc.

Good. They can sit in jail like other sexual predators and reflect on their standing with God wrt the hereafter.

all these things only cause pain because of hegemonic social relations. children who never learn they can have consensual sex with adults and consequently are ignorant of their right to refuse and how to recognize their own abuse when it truly occurs are only "fucked up" because the psychiatric models tell them they are. People lie to their spouses because marriage is no longer seen as an economic partnership, based on work, child-rearing and mutual support. Romance-centred discourses generate false expectations of devotion and dependence, essentially dehumanizing us. Same-sex relationships are pretty gross though

Agnus_Dei posted:

I'm going to do this.

wasted posted:

Good. They can sit in jail like other sexual predators and reflect on their standing with God wrt the hereafter.

i agree that the church should cooperate with legal investigations, and people should get the proper treatment for their conditions. i'm not sure prison is a good thing, though, i'm generally against prisons.

littlegreenpills posted:

all these things only cause pain because of hegemonic social relations. children who never learn they can have consensual sex with adults and consequently are ignorant of their right to refuse and how to recognize their own abuse when it truly occurs are only "fucked up" because the psychiatric models tell them they are. People lie to their spouses because marriage is no longer seen as an economic partnership, based on work, child-rearing and mutual support. Romance-centred discourses generate false expectations of devotion and dependence, essentially dehumanizing us. Same-sex relationships are pretty gross though

Im straight but even I can tell how much grosser straight sex is than gay sex

i said relationships. gay sex is fantastic and therein lies its temptation to sit around and have gay sex all day interspersed by playing Xbox or doing crocheting until you or your partner says "wanna assfuck?" or "wanna trib?". you can't base a loving society on such nonsense
[account deactivated]
papist bump