“She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough,” Obama said of California Attorney General Kamala Harris at a fundraiser this morning in Atherton, Calif. “She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general.” After a shocked and audible gasp from the audience, the president doubled down. “It’s true! C’mon.”

Media round-up:

Obama in Need of Gender-Sensitivity Training
In remarks today, President Obama described California Attorney General Kamala Harris "as by far, the best looking attorney general." Now, he had also described her as "brilliant," "dedicated," and "tough," but ... no. Just no.

For those who don't see the problem here, the degree to which women are judged by their appearance remains an important hurdle to gender equality in the workforce. Women have a hard time being judged purely on their merits. Discussing their appearance in the context of evaluating their job performance makes it worse.

It's not a compliment. And for a president who has become a cultural model for many of his supporters in so many other ways, the example he's setting here is disgraceful.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/04/obama-in-need-of-gender-sensitivity-training.html

President Obama, despite having a mostly feminist policy record, occasionally screws it up on a personal level. Yesterday, this side of him peeked out when he called California's attorney general Kamala Harris "by far, the best looking attorney general," though at least he bothered to praise the quality of her work first. The forces of Twitter feminism, many male (woot), rebuked Obama.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/04/05/why_obama_s_compliments_to_kamala_harris_aren_t_harmless_but_part_of_a_larger.html

On the flip-side:

“She’s brilliant and she’s dedicated, she’s tough,” Obama said at a fundraiser this morning in Atherton, Calif. “She also happens to be, by far, the best looking attorney general.” The president’s compliment was greeted with laughter as he added, “It’s true! C’mon.”

Yep, all true.

Judging by some of the comments I’ve seen on Twitter you’d swear the president was guilty of luridly cat-calling a woman he doesn’t know. If I thought for one moment that’s what was going on, you better believe I’d hammer him for it. But that’s not the case here. Far from it. So lighten up, people.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/04/04/obama-was-right-about-kamala-harris/

What Does LF Think?

lol
i guess he was driving down geary in the richmond district of SF on his way to a richer place like seacliff and his secret service savagely yelled at some girl for accidentally stumbling off the sidewalk, now that's paper
http://www.theonion.com/articles/syrians-lives-are-worthless-obama-tells-daughters,31934/
obama needs to check his fucking privilege, in this twitter anime communist's opinion
"She's pretty for a African-Asian-Indian mongrel," Obama says quietly.
I think that Michelle will be mad, and that's the important thing. don't anger wifey
it's sort of problematic that a man would have sexual thoughts. he'll say he meant it in good fun but it's really gross and creepy that he would find a woman attractive. i'm going to blog about this later but now i'm going to go cry and wish i was dead.
[account deactivated]
as i told huey over drinks, there's nothing wrong with commenting about the attractiveness of a woman. but context counts. that was at a bar. when you're talking about the attorney general's merits and qualifications in public i don't think it's super awesome to slip in remarks about how attractive she is. also when the person saying it is speaking from the highest position in the world it hurts a little. let's not take this shit too seriously... but i give obama three pinnochios (out of five) for this comment.
he shouldn't have said it but like i feel i have final authority over what women should get really upset about, so, yeah
Pyongyang, April 4 (KCNA) -- The spokesman for the General Staff of the Korean People's Army (KPA) issued the following statement Thursday:

We formally inform the White House and Pentagon that the ever-escalating U.S. hostile policy toward women and its reckless patriarchal threat will be smashed by the strong will of all the united service personnel and people of the DPRK and that the merciless operation of its revolutionary armed forces in this regard has been finally examined and ratified.

The U.S. had better ponder over the prevailing grave situation.

karphead posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/syrians-lives-are-worthless-obama-tells-daughters,31934/

yeah the onion has been rather openly shilling for humanitarian imperialism:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/hi-in-the-past-2-years-you-have-allowed-me-to-kill,31805/

that;s essentially what you get when liberals claim to care about the third world.

"you guys keep on watching Lady Gaga videos while Kony Assad Bashir slaughters infants."

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s proposed budget will call for reductions in the growth of Social Security and other benefit programs while still insisting on more taxes from the wealthy in a renewed attempt to strike a broad deficit-cutting deal with Republicans, a senior administration official says.

you guys keep on focusing on Obama being pervy while he offers to slash social security.

ilmdge posted:

as i told huey over drinks

catchphrase

HenryKrinkle posted:

[you guys keep on focusing on Obama being pervy while he offers to slash social security.

lol who here (other than lykourgos) is going to live to 65

HenryKrinkle posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama’s proposed budget will call for reductions in the growth of Social Security and other benefit programs while still insisting on more taxes from the wealthy in a renewed attempt to strike a broad deficit-cutting deal with Republicans, a senior administration official says.

you guys keep on focusing on Obama being pervy while he offers to slash social security.

i hate obama's domestic policy already, this is new and funny.

true point though for the liberals out there, would be good if slashing social security got twitter mmelting down too

getfiscal posted:

it's sort of problematic that a man would have sexual thoughts. he'll say he meant it in good fun but it's really gross and creepy that he would find a woman attractive. i'm going to blog about this later but now i'm going to go cry and wish i was dead.

microblog* about this

[account deactivated]

Edited by fape ()

[account deactivated]
reminds me of when i was in court a little while back. right before sentencing this young woman victim of domestic violence is there with her whole family and she's up talking about how horrible the physical abuse was and how it changed her life and how she internalized the blame etc, she's fighting back tears, very moving stuff.

when she's done, the (private) defense attorney stands up and says "this is a sad case, the victim is such a beautiful young woman." the real tragedy of the situation
[account deactivated]

TG posted:

reminds me of when i was in court a little while back. right before sentencing this young woman victim of domestic violence is there with her whole family and she's up talking about how horrible the physical abuse was and how it changed her life and how she internalized the blame etc, she's fighting back tears, very moving stuff.

when she's done, the (private) defense attorney stands up and says "this is a sad case, the victim is such a beautiful young woman." the real tragedy of the situation

thats a different case

[account deactivated]
apparently hot victim + waterworks = pissed off judge!
[account deactivated]
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/weird-twitter-the-oral-history
That makes what, 3, 4 LFers mentioned by name on BuzzFeed? g.joe i don't think it'd be imprudent to consider this whole rhizzone thing a Mission Accomplished.

HenryKrinkle posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/weird-twitter-the-oral-history

@cheesegod69: FYAD was the cool place to hang out. You could find most of the cool people there. In FYAD you could just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" was the FYAD motto, for example, that's how laid back it was there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

@virgiltexas : I started taking Twitter seriously after the green revolution in iran. I read through him about how people like Jon Hendren (@fart) used Iranian Revolution hashtags to Goatse over a million people. It was then that i realized the potential for this new medium.
US president: Hahaha Wow I guess we should have signed more non proliferation treaties because thats some heavy ordinance you're packing in your jeans, mama. *pretending to give notation* lets subsidize fat titties mr. speaker. Lets subsidize the fuck out of them.
"She's Packing a major league asshole"

"Oh yeah she is.... Big Time"

tpaine posted:

TG posted:

did you get acquitted

"Lets hit it and acquit"
-James Brown, Godfather of Soul, Patriarchy

ilmdge posted:

@virgiltexas : I started taking Twitter seriously after the green revolution in iran. I read through him about how people like Jon Hendren (@fart) used Iranian Revolution hashtags to Goatse over a million people. It was then that i realized the potential for this new medium.

imagine having to apologize to over a million people for goatseing them on twitter, hoo boy!

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

he says "the diaper fiasco" as if anyone knows what he's talking about

You don't know about Diapgate, dude?

President Obama called California Attorney General Kamala Harris on Thursday to apologize for his comments about her appearance that have drawn a storm of criticism.

"He called her to apologize for the distraction created by his comments," White House press secretary Jay Carney said during his briefing Friday, later adding that the president had also "apologized for the remark."

Obama "did not want in any way to diminish the attorney general's professional accomplishments and her capabilities," Carney said. "He fully recognizes the challenges women continue to face in the workplace and that they should not be judged based on appearance."

what a piece of shit. you can't "apologize" for destroying the career of a woman in a throwaway joke. it's time to resign.

actually im more pissed at ilmdge for failing to put up a trigger warning for this thread, waht the fuck mate? a cunty move right there