roseweird posted:

and get ready to learn how to make plastic from something other than oil byproducts after all the refineries shut down, because we still need plastic, plastic is fucking awesome

http://www.plasticsnews.com/article/20130304/NEWS/130309972/researchers-make-bioplastics-from-algae-sunlight

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i cant wait until science can grow badass leather motorcycle jackets directly onto my arms back and chest, plus i guess some o' that sheepskin onto my pannis what with all the eco-bikerlady tail the jacket is gonna get me
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Squalid posted:

No one's ignoring anything. There are plenty of ways such effects can be counter-acted.

No, there aren't, and you haven't even presented any other than vague comparisons with "Europe" and its consumption taxes which exempt energy and food to prevent that from happening. The carbon tax itself will raise poverty and, even after factoring in transfer payments to the poor using the revenue collected, can't nearly offset food and energy prices doubling. Barring some huge technical advance in renewable energy the cost of shifting from oil to wind or solar would greatly lower living standards.

Edited by mustang19 ()

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

oh my god a ground beef gun

nnghhgiddyup

[account deactivated]
Is that the one barret had, with no materia slots?

mustang19 posted:

Squalid posted:

No one's ignoring anything. There are plenty of ways such effects can be counter-acted.

No, there aren't, and you haven't even presented any other than vague comparisons with "Europe" and its consumption taxes which exempt energy and food to prevent that from happening. The carbon tax itself will raise poverty and, even after factoring in transfer payments to the poor using the revenue collected, can't nearly offset food and energy prices doubling. Barring some huge technical advance in renewable energy the cost of shifting from oil to wind or solar would greatly lower living standards.

you can subsidize food as much as you want, or boost the dole as much necessary. This isn't an insurmountable problem ya dingus

[account deactivated]
I'm going to repost my statement because I thought it was rather amusing you had no response to it.

you can subsidize food as much as you want, or boost the dole as much necessary. This isn't an insurmountable problem ya dingus

That's not an argument for a carbon tax. You can raise progressive taxes to cover the same programs without increasing poverty.

A fossil fuel tax is mainly a tax on food, gas and utilities. Leftist parties have fought hard in the past for these goods to be exempt from consumption taxes. By getting rid of these exemptions you're basically advocating a rightwing policy.

Edited by mustang19 ()

tpaine posted:

oh my god a ground beef gun

"I wish I could kill myself with ground beef" he mumbled between bites, whilst painfully clutching his chest

whilst
people are real down on renewables for some reason